Quantcast

GPR as specialty springboard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koobpheej

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I plan on completing a GPR in order to be more competitive for specializing, is it better to:
1. Shoot for a GPR at a program that also has the same specialty program- getting to know the people at that particular program- hopefully getting on the inside- after all, it's all about who you know.
2. Go to a GPR not associated with your desired specialty, you could therefore hope to get more experience in that field (instead of all the interesting stuff being sent off to the residents)- with that extra experience, you would have a more competitive application package.
3. Doesn't matter, any GPR will give approximately the same advantage when applying to a specialty program regardless of specific content or location.

DDSSlave

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd pick the program with the specialty department at the same school. You'll still get an opportunity to do more advanced procedures in that area, plus you'll have the advice of faculty and residents to help you with applying successfully. Plus, you might find a specialty program you really like and want to rank first. But, you know as much or more than I. Good luck. Which GPR programs are you looking at?