GPR Programs with strong OS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalpr1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Just signed up to SDN!
So, I've been doing some research on GPR programs and I'm beginning to feel a little overwhelmed. I began with a large list of programs and began eliminating based on location, SDN members' evaluation of the program and by reading the program descriptions on their websites. I tried to research more about the programs below, but there isn't a lot of information available. Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Who I am:
- 3rd year dental student
- Future goals: I am very interested in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery. However, I'd like to have a well rounded GPR experience, but at the same time I want to participate in oral surgery, operating rooms, implant placement, trauma, etc. Basically, I'd like to be exposed and have hands on experience in those areas before deciding any specialty.
- Where would I want my residency: I am from Puerto Rico, and I've studied here my whole life, so I'm really looking forward to having a year or two in the states. I'd probably prefer anything on the East (from Florida all the way up to New York, and probably Illinois too)
- Cumulative GPA: 3.56
- Areas of dentistry that I don’t know if I like because of poor clinic exposure: Ortho
- Areas of dentistry that I don’t enjoy too much: crown and bridge, removable dentures
- Areas of dentistry that I love: Implants, Oral surgery, Surgical Perio, Pedo
- Info I am most interested in: How many implants will I get to place? Will I get to do procedures in the Operating Room or just assisting (suction and passing instruments)? Certification in IV sedation? On call? Ortho procedures? Pedo?

Programs I've been researching:
Florida:
- University of Miami Hospital
Texas:
- University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston
Illinois
- Evanston Hospital
- Illinois Masonic Medical Center
- Loyola University Medical Center
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital
New York:
- Jacobi Medical Center
- Montefiore
- Columbia University
- there are a lot so any info here is appreciated
Massachusets:
- Berkshire Medical Center
- Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Massachusets General Hospital Harvard General. Practice Residency
- Tufts University

Thank You!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you that UMiami costs 42k a year and no stipend.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are interested in Oral Surgery, you should look for Internships in Oral Surgery.
For GPR,
New York: Kings county, Jacobi, VA are good for Implants and OS Procedures.
Illinois: Northwestern, Loyola and Masonic has good OS experience. Don't know about Implants.
Texas: San Antonio has very strong program and tough to get in.
I would opt out Massachusetts programs if I compare other programs I mentioned.
(FYI: Information based on other threads on SDN and personal interview experience. Good Luck)

if you are interested in Oral Surgery, you should look for Internships in Oral Surgery.
For GPR,
New York: Kings county, Jacobi, VA are good for Implants and OS Procedures.
Illinois: Northwestern, Loyola and Masonic has good OS experience. Don't know about Implants.
Texas: San Antonio has very strong program and tough to get in.
I would opt out Massachusetts programs if I compare other programs I mentioned.
(FYI: Information based on other threads on SDN and personal interview experience. Good Luck)
Thanks for the info!

If you want to do an OMFS residency then you need to do an internship or apply to pass. If you want to learn minor surgical procedures and ultimately go on to be a general dentist then do a GPR that is weighted towards surgical procedures. An OMFS internship is a year long audition to prove that you have what it takes to match into a residency. They generally involve a lot of call and scut work with minimal emphasis on teaching you how to proficiently take out thirds, place implants, etc....

If you want to do an OMFS residency then you need to do an internship or apply to pass. If you want to learn minor surgical procedures and ultimately go on to be a general dentist then do a GPR that is weighted towards surgical procedures. An OMFS internship is a year long audition to prove that you have what it takes to match into a residency. They generally involve a lot of call and scut work with minimal emphasis on teaching you how to proficiently take out thirds, place implants, etc....
I did a program; UPSTATE NY ; strong GPR with OMS attending that encouraged you to do a lot of work. Programs with Specialty attending faculty are great as they try to guide you into a global mindset and comprehensive care; the on call schedule is based on the number of residents. You get out of your program what you put into it. If you are motivated, dedicated and informed you will do a lot of what you want, most PD are eager to please. I have volunteered at a few programs in NYC area; NYU, Bellevue, LIJ, Monte, Brookdale, Jamaica, Wyckoff. LHMMC, Interfaith,Lutheran, Phelps, UConn, and have learned a lot from the attending and staff. Externships are fantastic to take a closer look at these programs up close. and 1-2 weeks at the ones you really are considering allows you to see what the residents are doing. Residency is at all like school.

Reactions: 1 user