GPR's in NY/NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sport8500

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any input on the following GPR's in NY/NJ. I am looking for one that places implants, and possibly some perio surgery. Anything about any of these programs would be very helpful. Having trouble finding up to date details about these places -- how many implants placed, facilities, faculty and more specifics

1. St. Barnabas Hospital- Bronx (do you place implants in the first year or do you have to do a second year?)
2. Montefiore Med Center - Bronx
3. Jacobi Med Center
4. Long island college hospital- Brooklyn
5. Kings county hospital center- Brooklyn
6. VA Brooklyn
7 Flushing hospital med center
8. NY hospital Queens
9. Morristown Memorial hospital -NJ
10. Mountainside bloomfield NJ
11. Jersey City - NJ

Any input will help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any input on the following GPR's in NY/NJ. I am looking for one that places implants, and possibly some perio surgery. Anything about any of these programs would be very helpful. Having trouble finding up to date details about these places -- how many implants placed, facilities, faculty and more specifics

1. St. Barnabas Hospital- Bronx (do you place implants in the first year or do you have to do a second year?)
3. Jacobi Med Center
6. VA Brooklyn
8. NY hospital Queens
11. Jersey City - NJ

bump? also interested in this topic. mainly looking for a program in northeast that lets you place a decent amount of implants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Do you guys know if there is any space available for GPR in NY, NJ area?
I happened to move to NY, but dont have a license yet,,

If you can access MATCH, can you please look up? thanks.

from dental mcdonalds chicago.

Currently a resident at Morristown Medical Center. Just thought I share my 2 cents about the program in case anyone was interested.
So far: great experience

-4 handed dentistry
-each resident has their own RDA (they are able to pack cords, take impressions, make temp crowns,etc - saves -you time while you work on anther pt.
-digital x-rays/pan, everything is electronic
-CEREC training
-Endo with microscopes
-each residents get to place 8 implants by the end of the program
-rotary endo
-able to treatment plan to ideal with certain pts without having to worry about finance
-great OS experience and pediatric experience
-get to go in OR with oral surgeon to assist in mandibular fractures, maxillary fractures, etc.
-$500 educational stipend and $1000 meal card for the year
-subsidized housing across the street (walk to work!)
-by the end of the year.. you are to have and completed one large case which may include full mouth rehab
-the director of the program wants you to succeed and will try to help you as best as she can to find you placement after residency.

Overall, if you are looking to practice in all aspects of general dentistry, this is a great place to do your training. Staff and attendings are great, not much to complain about
Best advice is to visit the program and apply.

+ Only 1hr train ride to NYC. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Any recommended NY and NJ GPRs?

Last edited:
I would suggest you look at...
* demographics base. Who are the patients that's coming through? Mostly kids? Medicaid? Private
* Presence of other residency programs? Ex. does the program has a perio, ortho, pedo residents? Or, are there any residents from other schools that may come by? Example OS resident rotating through?

These will get you a sense of what procedures you will be doing.

Do not trust the director during the interview. Find out these answers from the staff, current residents, and the dental assistants. They will have the indirect, but honest/truthful answer to what you are looking for.

There are 4 GPR positions available for the 2014-2015 year at Harlem Hospital. Please email [email protected] for more information. You must be a US citizen and have graduated from an ADA accredited dental school to apply.

this might be a dumb question but i know to practice in NY, you need a year residency - does it matter where you got your DMD/DDS? if i graduate from CWRU or OSU will i be able to complete a year in NY as a resident in order to practice there?

3. Jacobi Med Center
6. VA Brooklyn
8. NY hospital Queens
11. Jersey City - NJ

Hi, I am really interested in getting into a GPR in New Jersey as this is the state where I will be staying. No plans to move. I would really appreciate if I could get more info about this program. Thanks

I find the comment about not trusting the director at the interview reprehensible. If you cannot trust the director, then you should not bother with the program.