(Grad application) Interview with professor I did not list. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alt26

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an invitation to interview! But to my surprise, of the two professors I listed, one of them is not interviewing me, and I am instead being interviewed by a different professor! Upon closer inspection, I can fit my research interests to their work, and I can see myself working under this professor should the opportunity arise, but there is still an interview with them.

As for why I did not list them, they are an assistant professor whose work at a glance did not line up as well with my interests when compared to the professors I did list. Though now looking more into their past projects in preparation for the interview and the work of their grad students, I see clear overlap with my interests, and I assume that them interviewing me means they see this same overlap. Should I expect them to bring up that I did not list them as a potential mentor? How would others handle something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't overanalyze it. Interviews for grad school typically include multiple other faculty besides the one(s) you identify as your POI. I think I interviewed with at least three faculty at every program. It's just to get a sense of who you are as a person, what you might be like as a student, how you talk about your interests and experience with different people, etc., not necessarily that they're interviewing you for their lab.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, agree with the above. It may just be a scheduling thing (we always made sure at least one person listed would interview the applicant, we couldn't always have more than that). I did have people ask me during grad school interviews why I didn't list them, or why I didn't list them as my first choice- it's good to have an answer for that. I think sometimes it's genuine curiosity- like they are trying to determine if you are looking for a different experience than maybe what you've done in the past- and other times it's to see how you respond under pressure. Either way, not a big deal just be prepared to answer that. I also had an interview with a faculty member I didn't list, and it turns out that person was starting a new project in an area I had experience in and offered to be a co-advisor or to join that persons lab, despite not applying for it. I don't know all the details but it could have simply been they got funding after the application date and therefore it wasn't listed. Again, not a big deal so just see how it turns out. It definitely does not mean anything negative in any way. It's a complicated process with many factors! Good luck

I'll also add that I often interviewed with people I had not listed. One memorable interview, was with a faculty member who was extremely outside my area of interest. During our "interview" he acknowledged we had no overlap and would not be working together likely in any capacity so suggested we just use the time for me to ask him about the school and program in general. So also be prepared to ask general questions for 30 minutes! That was a rough one. Thankfully he was very nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I would prepare to interview for the faculty member you listed, with the assumption you'd be coming to work with them. That way, if that's what happens, you aren't in a sticky situation.

That said - I know people in my program who interviewed with their non-preferred professor and later switched and/or ended up with their original professor of choice, and even ended up interviewing with them later in the interview week. All that to say, it isn't necessarily a guarantee that you'd be in one lab or the other. And that is something that would be made clear when you get an offer.

Good luck with interviews!

Reactions: 1 user