grad school after pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandy24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a handful of people in my pharmacy class who want to do graduate school after pharmacy. Or med school, or vet school or something else.

There is a girl I work with in lab who wants to go to pharmaceutics grad school after pharmacy.
If you do go to grad school then it's an additional 5 or so years of your life. So for this girl it would be 4 years undergrad + 4 years pharmacy + 5 years grad school =13 years!

anyone else know of people who are doing additional school and their reasons for doing it?

I am thinking of working as a pharmacist for 10-15 years and going back to school to be a physician's assistant (2 year program) because I can't stand the thought of doing the same job for the rest of my life. Plus, I will get to use my pharmacy skills clinically!

this post was very random but I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a PharmD/MPA degree available. You take one year off in between years 3 and 4 to complete your physician's assistant course work. Does your school offer a dual degree? It would be a lot quicker.

ooh that would be awesome if we did but we don't have a dual degree for anything in pharmacy. they are thinking of doing a dual pharmacy/law and possibly masters of public health but it's been just all talk so far.

so, my next question is, what can you do with a physician assistant degree and pharmacy? would you be working in a pharmacy or as a PA or a mix of both careers?

will they let me in to PA school with my crappy 3.1 pharmacy GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a PharmD/MPH combo with UC Berkeley and I am probably doing that to help with an academic career or to work in the government...more room to learn, specialize, do research.

Back when I was an undergrad at UOP I know quite a few people who were planning on going to med school after they finished the pharmacy program. They thought their PharmD. would help complement their MD.

These guys were 2+3 students, meaning they spent 2 years in undergrad taking the pre-reqs and then they go straight to pharmacy school. So hypothetically speaking they could be in medical school by the age of 23-24 (assuming they started undergrad at 18 of course).

Over at my school, the most popular dual degree is the PharmD/MBA. Although I do know of some PharmD/JD who want to go into public policy, work as patent lawyers, or malpratice attorneys.
I am planning on getting an MS/MBA after pharmacy school. Work in the day, go to school at night for the MS and MBA program. I want a job in industry as a marketing director. A PhD can last more than five years if you are not careful and if you promise them the world, then you better deliver it before they give you the PhD.

Hi!

I am a pre-pharmacy student. If I get accepted at Pharmacy school next year, I am planning to get PharmD and MBA both. Can someone tell me that which pharmacy schools have PharmD/MBA program? or if the pharmacy school don't offer that PharmD/MBA program than can I start my MBA coursework in my 3rd and 4th PharmD year, so when I graduate from Pharmacy school, I can have both PharmD, and MBA?

Thanx!

npp71681 said:
Hi!

I am a pre-pharmacy student. If I get accepted at Pharmacy school next year, I am planning to get PharmD and MBA both. Can someone tell me that which pharmacy schools have PharmD/MBA program? or if the pharmacy school don't offer that PharmD/MBA program than can I start my MBA coursework in my 3rd and 4th PharmD year, so when I graduate from Pharmacy school, I can have both PharmD, and MBA?

Thanx!

In California I know that both UOP and USC offer a combined program for PharmD/MBA.

npp71681 said:
Hi!

Thanx!

UF offers a PharmD/MBA, PharmD/MPH, PharmD/MPA, PharmD/JD and PharmD/PhD. You start the coursework after year 3 and graduate with both degrees.

npp71681 said:
Hi!

Thanx!

Shenandoah University offers a joint PharmD/MBA. :D

I'm in graduate school (MS/Ph.D candidate) right now, and a Pharm.D., Rph to boot.

I can already tell you one thing now, I'm giving myself a paycut (yes, loss) of about $10-15K) for the rest of my working life. That is not figuring in loss of opportunity costs in losing retirement, active working, tuition, etc. However, that's no less than a residency/fellowship combination

I'm in graduate school for a selfish and egotistical reason. I want to find out the bounds of my curiosity in my subject, and want to learn the cutting edge techniques of the trade. Maybe, I might want to apply them, but for now, just learning them is enough.

My good friends in P'ceutics say that it's sexy to know that when they are thinking about something experimental, no one else has ever thought of it before.

I rather enjoy being a pharmacist, but yet, I want to do something more with the profession. I know what this profession could be and what it already should be. I want to covert the first two to to what the profession is and will be.

sandy24 said:
There are a handful of people in my pharmacy class who want to do graduate school after pharmacy. Or med school, or vet school or something else.

There is a girl I work with in lab who wants to go to pharmaceutics grad school after pharmacy.
If you do go to grad school then it's an additional 5 or so years of your life. So for this girl it would be 4 years undergrad + 4 years pharmacy + 5 years grad school =13 years!

anyone else know of people who are doing additional school and their reasons for doing it?

I am thinking of working as a pharmacist for 10-15 years and going back to school to be a physician's assistant (2 year program) because I can't stand the thought of doing the same job for the rest of my life. Plus, I will get to use my pharmacy skills clinically!

this post was very random but I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask!

lord999 said:
Oh, and I actually enjoy practicing in both WAG and hospital. Escaping from the profession isn't my goal.

What type of a graduate program are you in and what made you pick that particular type of program?

Lexian said:
Back when I was an undergrad at UOP I know quite a few people who were planning on going to med school after they finished the pharmacy program. They thought their PharmD. would help complement their MD.

These guys were 2+3 students, meaning they spent 2 years in undergrad taking the pre-reqs and then they go straight to pharmacy school. So hypothetically speaking they could be in medical school by the age of 23-24 (assuming they started undergrad at 18 of course).

I assume you are speaking of the previous BS degree in pharmacy that was 5 years. There are no 2+3 year PharmD programs that I have ever heard of. If there are I am missing out. Also, there are no BS degrees in pharmacy offered anymore. So, I'm not exactly sure what your speaking of. Let me know

VCU07 said:
I assume you are speaking of the previous BS degree in pharmacy that was 5 years. There are no 2+3 year PharmD programs that I have ever heard of.

Technically, there still are. The 3-year PharmD programs only require ~2 years of prereqs, so if a person worked diligently enough, he or she could complete his or her total pharmacy education in 5 years.

FutureRxGal said:
Technically, there still are. The 3-year PharmD programs only require ~2 years of prereqs, so if a person worked diligently enough, he or she could complete his or her total pharmacy education in 5 years.

I am not stupid...I realize this, but are there any programs that are set up as 5 yrs? You know like the 6 yr programs. It seems like it would be a hard program to go through

VCU07 said:
I am not stupid...I realize this, but are there any programs that are set up as 5 yrs? You know like the 6 yr programs. It seems like it would be a hard program to go through

My school, Midwestern, offers a "5 year" Pharm.D advanced track, but you have to sacrifice 2 summers to do it. For example, I am a 4th year who started Sept 2001 and my grad date is March 2005, the people who are on the advanced track graduated this past September 2004. You have to apply to it in your 2nd professional year and they accepted about half our class into it.

VCU07 said:

No one assumed you were stupid. ;) No, there are not any specific 5-year programs set up for people right out of high school or otherwise.

FutureRxGal said:
No one assumed you were stupid. ;) No, there are not any specific 5-year programs set up for people right out of high school or otherwise.

Actually FutureRXGirl, this is a specific program for high school students just coming out to finish their PharmD in 5 years :)

VCU07 said:
I assume you are speaking of the previous BS degree in pharmacy that was 5 years. There are no 2+3 year PharmD programs that I have ever heard of. If there are I am missing out. Also, there are no BS degrees in pharmacy offered anymore. So, I'm not exactly sure what your speaking of. Let me know

This is is a 2+3 year PharmD program at UOP, not the B.S., because as you mentioned that degree isn't even offered anymore. You do 2 years of pre-reqs during your first 2 years of undegrad, and you apply during your second year to the School of Pharmacy. UOP's pharmacy curriculum is a 3 year program, so assuming there are no hiccups you can graduate in 5 years with your PharmD coming out of high school. You must apply to the program before matriculating in as an undergrad. There are also variations on the advantage program, for example, there is also a 3+3 program and a 4+3 program for those who want to get their B.S. (the combined PharmD/PhD program requires a B.S.) and still maintain some of the advantages that PrePharms at the school enjoys like having a Pharmacy school faculty member as an advisor, membership into the professional organizations as an undergrad, etc. Hope that helps.

Here is a link if you're interested in more info. http://www1.pacific.edu/pharmacy/prepharm.html

I should mention USC also has a somewhat similiar program called TAPS for their pharmacy school, although I don't think it has a 2+3 program.

FutureRxGal said:
Well, I stand corrected then. I was not aware of that. :) Thank you.

No problem, beyond UOP and USC I can't even think of another program like these so it's not common. If I hadn't gone to UOP as an undergrad I probably would have thought the same thing you did.

gdk420 said:
What type of a graduate program are you in and what made you pick that particular type of program?

Social and Administrative Pharmacy. I wanted to study Pharmacometrics in Pharmaceutics, but except for UCSF, Metrics is in the Administrative Pharmacy divisions. I enjoy the program, and find it a lot less stressful than pharmacy school.

Well, I was interested in information presentation and representation in regards to health care professionals, and I also think that mechanized pharmacy should replace the dispensing pharmacist role. To what extent is the subject of my inquiry. I'm at UMN because it truly is the best program there is for the subject in the administrative divisions.