Grad School: average GPA, GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voirlesetoiles

Focus.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know where I can find a list of average GPA and GRE scores for graduate schools? I tried googling, with no luck. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried doing this with a friend the other day; we weren't too successful either.

What I've found helpful is to go to a specific program's website for info. It's easier to find a list of grad programs and go from there.

Have fun.

i think it depends on the program as well. i know that some schools just use the gre as a formality to make sure you're not some kind of ******. i only did ok (had a major freak out and didn't finish the test!) and i got into both schools that I applied to. i even got a scholarship to one and i hadn't even done prior research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the program, but here are some anecdotal information.

1) GRE doesn't matter. My PI's on the graduate program's admissions board, and he says the first thing the committee reads is the recommendation letters. GRE matters very little to them. As long as you can show that you're competent through the GRE, they're more interested in your research abilities.

2) GPA is fairly important. I had a friend with a 3.4 from a difficult engineering program who was interviewing at a top-tier PhD program. During the interview, the interviewer directly asked him "why is your GPA so low?" He ended up getting in, but I think it was a close call.

I've been told that you should shoot to break 500 on the verbal, and that's all that really matters. people tend to do well on the math portion.

When I interviewed for my spot in graduate school I talked about how "I know my GPA is low, but.." and my program director assured me that my GPA was not low. I think it was a 3.2 at the time.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to work on a 1 year masters during the gap year while I apply to med schools. My GPA is only a 3.4 though and I wanted to apply to a top tier school, so I was hoping the GRE would make up for it... but it doesn't seem to be as important as the MCAT is for med schools from what I've read on here and online...