grad school gpa vs. undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyra84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to enter grad school. I wanted to know how much would med schools look at the grad school gpa and how much would they look at the undergrad gpa?!

Members don't see this ad.

lyra84 said:
I am about to enter grad school. I wanted to know how much would med schools look at the grad school gpa and how much would they look at the undergrad gpa?!

you should do a search for this topic, there are plenty of past discussions about it. in short, they aren't going to care about your grad gpa (especially if it's an MPH), mostly just your undergrad gpa.

LT2 said:
you should do a search for this topic, there are plenty of past discussions about it. in short, they aren't going to care about your grad gpa (especially if it's an MPH), mostly just your undergrad gpa.

it's really not that harsh. they just weigh your undergrad more than your grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of my professors told me that when they are hiring faculty members they frown upon having more than a B here and there and Cs are unheard of. Most everybody has just As and A-s, note this was in the humanities.

vkhalsa said:
it's really not that harsh. they just weigh your undergrad more than your grad.

it's pretty darn close to that harsh (UNLESS you're enrolled in a SMP, in which quite a bit changes). let's put it this way. getting outstanding grades as a grad student is not going to help you as much as getting bad grades as a grad student will hurt you.

the little known secret to success? take undergrad classes during your program that don't count towards your grad degree. these will be counted as post-bacc classes which will raise your ug gpa.

thanks alot for the confirmation. ;0) I am a PhD candidate in Applied Gerontology, and I did my undergrad in Gerontology as well with minors in Biology and Psychology. I graduated with a 2.8 undergrad gpa...however, my gpa in my Doctoral program is 3.7 (as expected for grad school). I have been teaching at the University of North Texas for 3 years as a teaching fellow, and I have a lot of research experience in addition to dissertation research, and presentations at APHA, and published articles in gerontological health, and a book (of my original poetry). For 3 years in my program i have taken students, through study abroad, to mexico to work to reduce poverty

I have progressed a lot and matured as a student, as I worked full-time all throughout undergrad, while playing for the men's basketball team for the university.

so, i say all that to say that I am concurrently taking my chemistry and physics pre-req's for medschool since they count as post bacc and not towards my PhD gpa, and they are accelerated courses, so I can increase my ugrad gpa while demonstrating my will to work and desire to enter medschool. I have been wondering what chances I have at being accepted to medschool in Texas... I take the MCAT in June...what other advice do you all have?

thanks a lot..

thanks alot for the confirmation. ;0) I am a PhD candidate in Applied Gerontology, and I did my undergrad in Gerontology as well with minors in Biology and Psychology. I graduated with a 2.8 undergrad gpa...however, my gpa in my Doctoral program is 3.7 (as expected for grad school). I have been teaching at the University of North Texas for 3 years as a teaching fellow, and I have a lot of research experience in addition to dissertation research, and presentations at APHA, and published articles in gerontological health, and a book (of my original poetry). For 3 years in my program i have taken students, through study abroad, to mexico to work to reduce poverty

I have progressed a lot and matured as a student, as I worked full-time all throughout undergrad, while playing for the men's basketball team for the university.

so, i say all that to say that I am concurrently taking my chemistry and physics pre-req's for medschool since they count as post bacc and not towards my PhD gpa, and they are accelerated courses, so I can increase my ugrad gpa while demonstrating my will to work and desire to enter medschool. I have been wondering what chances I have at being accepted to medschool in Texas... I take the MCAT in June...what other advice do you all have?

thanks a lot..

doing well on the mcat will help them pay less attention to your undergrad gpa and more attention to your graduate work...it sounds like you have an awesome story and unique experience!

Depends on the school. I was told specifically in my Wayne State interview that if you have a certain number of graduate units (can't remember if it was 20 or 30), they weigh your graduate GPA more than your undergraduate GPA.

doing well on the mcat will help them pay less attention to your undergrad gpa and more attention to your graduate work...it sounds like you have an awesome story and unique experience!

thanks a lot.. I appreciate your advice.. I will nail it..