Grad School or No Grad School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VeterinaryLover

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Biology Major ( My school doesn't have Pre-vet and I am not going to transfer) my GPA is low right now but I will be bringing it up.

Who should take Grad. School, why should he/she go to grad. school?

Is there anyone here that was in grad. school? Why did you choose too?
 
What year are you? You'll find getting into grad school really difficult if you don't have research experience. And research experience means having your own project or helping other grad students in an academic research lab (or other research setting) with their projects, not just washing dishes. Nothing wrong with being a *ahem* "dish bitch" like we occasionally called our highly esteemed undergrads in our research lab in grad school. 😀 But we appreciated their help washing dishes and autoclaving! 👍 But it's not the same to the ad coms as running your own projects and doing poster presentations or even getting published.

Grad school isn't really about your grades. You're not supposed to get below a 3.0, but your research is much much more important. And at least for me, I usually only took one or two at most "hard" classes at once, like endocrinology or biochemistry or whatever.

If you don't like research...I wouldn't do grad school unless you can do a post-bacc program or perhaps one of those special "masters" programs that are like a year post-bacc. Though I get grumpy having done 3 years of research plus a thesis and some people take a few extra classes and they get a masters. 🙄 But that's another story for another time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a few thoughts:
I assume you applied or will be applying directly to vet school regardless? I mean, obviously you don't need it if you can get right into vet school. And I agree above, you need to get involved with some research your senior year to help your masters application.

Here's my situation:
I grad with my BS Biology last week. I'm on some waitlists for vet school (my 2nd app. year) but it's not looking so hot. Thus, I am prob. going to start working on a masters even though I kinda hate doing research. Why? because you don't want to stop going to school, several interviewers and schools have said it looks poorly on an app to 'take a year off'. Second, it can boost your GPA (you mentioned your's was a tad low?) and improve your app overall. But I've been helping in an endocrinology lab at my school for almost a year now, so it helped me get accepted to the program.

Wow, sorry for the long-windedness. I'm done now. :laugh:
 
First of all, you do not necessarily need to have had research experience in order to be accepted into a masters program. Probably this will matter more to masters that are research-heavy, but there are plenty of masters programs that are not and that don't care about your past research experience. Please don't not apply to a program you're interested in simply because you don't have research experience. At least call up the admissions office/office of the program's director before counting yourself out. I was able to get some research experience in my masters program, but definitely did not have any going in. It's not necessarily black and white (different schools, different programs, different requirements).

Also, Wolfvet...which schools have told you that taking a year off looks bad? This does not jive with my experience or that of many many other students on this board. I guess if you're interpreting taking a year off as "sitting on one's butt and doing nothing," then sure, that would look bad. But seeking relevant full time employment, volunteering, shadowing, trying new things (related to vet med or not), having unique experiences to talk about...that hasn't hurt anyone that I've heard of. So please provide us with the specifics of what info you were given and by which school. In absence of these specifics, I don't think the advice to continue school just because you "should" is very good.
 
I am looking into it because the reality of vet school isn't looking as good as it used to and I want to continue my education. Any advice?
 
To the OP: Just because there's not Pre Vet doesn't mean that you can't apply directly to Vet School. Lots of us do it, by taking the required courses. You just have to be a little more pro active. As to grad school, only do it if you want to study the topic. It might help, but you might be better off taking more undergrad science classes to boost your GPA (undergrad and grad are separate and generally they expect you'll have a good Grad GPA). If you have low grades now, you are only a sophomore and so still have time to bring up that GPA and show an upward trend. My own Freshman/ Sophomore GPA wasn't the best, but I had <3.8 for the next 4 semesters and for the pre reqs I took as a post bacc (thought I was going to do behavior research and didn't take enough physics and Chem). You've definitely got time, so don't despair!

I am looking into it because the reality of vet school isn't looking as good as it used to and I want to continue my education. Any advice?

I'd say go for something you're interested in, because grad school takes lots of willpower to push through and it's harder if you're not passionate about the subject. Also, most grad programs are going to want some evidence that you know what you're getting into (research, part time job, volunteering, etc) as well as good grades and GREs.
 
I took a year off and got into vet school on my first application cycle. Although they were mostly interested in my research during undergrad. I did get the idea that they looked favorably on taking a year off (providing you did something that would boost your application I took a year off to get more actual technician experience).
 
I took a year off and got into vet school on my first application cycle. Although they were mostly interested in my research during undergrad. I did get the idea that they looked favorably on taking a year off (providing you did something that would boost your application I took a year off to get more actual technician experience).

Since I haven't heard from Western🙁 I'm trying to get with plan B, but I haven't figured it out yet. I wish I would have taken a year off before applying (thought my 500 hours working for a vet would really catch their eye!). My vet offered me my tech job full time if I decide to stay and do another application cycle. Do you think more experience would make up for a 3.3? (But good gre's!)
 
Instead of taking extra time trying to boost your vet school apps with a graduate program, why not look into programs outside of the US? For example, Ross and St. George's look at you as a whole, instead of just the numbers. Yes, the downside is that neither are AVMA accredited right now, but for most who want to practice in the states there is only either the ECFVG or the PAVE to conquer (ECFVG is ~$8000 I think but you can practice anywhere, and the PAVE is ~$1000 or so and many states accept this) along with the NAVLE. So instead of paying extra money for grad school, you could use those years to be a step closer to making salary! And besides, we will all be wayyyyyyy in the hole anyway, so what's an extra few thousand HA!

I was also a 2nd time applicant, AFTER taking a year off after college, so I figured instead of waiting around to apply once again, I applied to Ross, St. George's, and Murdoch. I was accepted to the Ross and SGU, still waiting to hear from Murdoch, but will most likely be heading to Grenada in August.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about SGU, and have met great vets from both schools! I am not trying to discourage you if graduate school is the direction you would like to take, but just know that there are viable alternatives for those of us without stellar 4.0 undergrad GPAs! Good luck! :luck:
 
P.S. both Ross and SGU run on rolling admissions so I believe there is still time to apply for the fall term
 
P.S. both Ross and SGU run on rolling admissions so I believe there is still time to apply for the fall term

She's a sophomore in college and hasn't taken most of the prereqs yet. 😉

Honestly, I feel like you don't have a good understanding of what grad school is or why people go there. You don't "take" grad school the way you take an exam. Grad school is a 2-7 year commitment (depending on whether you want a Master's or a PhD) that requires a lot of research experience and generally good grades to get into. Research experience is generally more important than grades (except for the most prestigious programs).

It is something you could consider if you want to raise your GPA and don't think you can do it during undergrad, but it's not just an easy path that you can drift into after college.
 
I was also a 2nd time applicant, AFTER taking a year off after college, so I figured instead of waiting around to apply once again, I applied to Ross, St. George's, and Murdoch. I was accepted to the Ross and SGU, still waiting to hear from Murdoch, but will most likely be heading to Grenada in August.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about SGU, and have met great vets from both schools! I am not trying to discourage you if graduate school is the direction you would like to take, but just know that there are viable alternatives for those of us without stellar 4.0 undergrad GPAs! Good luck! :luck:
VeterinaryLover still has a bit of a way to go, but since I'm still trying to decide how many cycles to go and should I now go for a grad program, I appreciate your info. I can see why you're not going for a grad program at this point, but what made you decide to go to SGU over Ross?
Thanks, and good luck.🙂
 
To jerseylynn:

I would have to say that I chose SGU over Ross mainly because everything I heard about SGU made me feel more excited to go there. I don't want to say anything against Ross, but I have heard more negative stories (compared to St. George's) regarding things like 'weeding out' and a much more intense term set-up (Ross works with a trimester while SGU only has 2 terms per year - so at Ross you get hardly any time off but you supposedly graduate in a little more than 3 years, at SGU 4 years) - It is really what you prefer in a school.
There are a lot of good threads here discussing the differences between the schools and even though there's a bit of a speed bump for getting to practice in the states, you still come out the same as everyone else with that DVM next to your name. (BTW both schools are actively pursuing accreditation - just unsure of when exactly it will happen)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm on some waitlists for vet school (my 2nd app. year) but it's not looking so hot. Thus, I am prob. going to start working on a masters even though I kinda hate doing research. Why? because you don't want to stop going to school, several interviewers and schools have said it looks poorly on an app to 'take a year off'.

hmmm things must have changed. I took a year off and worked full time and got into 5 schools.........
 
Instead of taking extra time trying to boost your vet school apps with a graduate program, why not look into programs outside of the US? For example, Ross and St. George's look at you as a whole, instead of just the numbers. Yes, the downside is that neither are AVMA accredited right now, but for most who want to practice in the states there is only either the ECFVG or the PAVE to conquer (ECFVG is ~$8000 I think but you can practice anywhere, and the PAVE is ~$1000 or so and many states accept this) along with the NAVLE. So instead of paying extra money for grad school, you could use those years to be a step closer to making salary! And besides, we will all be wayyyyyyy in the hole anyway, so what's an extra few thousand HA!

I was also a 2nd time applicant, AFTER taking a year off after college, so I figured instead of waiting around to apply once again, I applied to Ross, St. George's, and Murdoch. I was accepted to the Ross and SGU, still waiting to hear from Murdoch, but will most likely be heading to Grenada in August.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about SGU, and have met great vets from both schools! I am not trying to discourage you if graduate school is the direction you would like to take, but just know that there are viable alternatives for those of us without stellar 4.0 undergrad GPAs! Good luck! :luck:

PAVE is currently $5000 (goes up every year) FYI:
http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/PAVE-VCSA.aspx
 
Since I haven't heard from Western🙁 I'm trying to get with plan B, but I haven't figured it out yet. I wish I would have taken a year off before applying (thought my 500 hours working for a vet would really catch their eye!). My vet offered me my tech job full time if I decide to stay and do another application cycle. Do you think more experience would make up for a 3.3? (But good gre's!)

Have you done any post-mortems? I would def follow what they say to improve on on your year off. More tech experience is great, but if there is something missing in your application (not including the lower grades-btw mine weren't much better so no worries) you can use this year to make your app more rounded (ie research, large animal, exotics, wildlife, etc). Taking a course or two during the year off probably couldnt hurt, especially if it shows initiative in mastering material that you were shaky on before. I think that a lot of schools respect the year off, and I think that you will be much more successful during the next application cycle. This is all just my two cents though...I hope it helps!
 
Graduate school is a great option for applicants who need to further demonstrate their academic fortitude and improve their GPA. Taking a class here and a class there can be expensive as well and will not do much to change a low GPA that was acquired over 4+ years.

Working as a veterinary technician particularly if you already have that kind of experience will not be adding anything new to your application.

I worked for two years in a research setting before completing a M.S (Anatomy and Neurobiology) and was subsequently accepted to multiple veterinary schools.

If you can do well in graduate school (there are also programs in graduate medical sciences that are geared towards students seeking acceptance to medical school) you have a very strong chance of acceptance particularly if your academics are in question.
 
Have you done any post-mortems? I would def follow what they say to improve on on your year off. More tech experience is great, but if there is something missing in your application (not including the lower grades-btw mine weren't much better so no worries) you can use this year to make your app more rounded (ie research, large animal, exotics, wildlife, etc).

Graduate school is a great option for applicants who need to further demonstrate their academic fortitude and improve their GPA. Taking a class here and a class there can be expensive as well and will not do much to change a low GPA that was acquired over 4+ years.

Working as a veterinary technician particularly if you already have that kind of experience will not be adding anything new to your application.

I worked for two years in a research setting before completing a M.S (Anatomy and Neurobiology) and was subsequently accepted to multiple veterinary schools.
My gpa was the norm at the one school I interviewed at. I was told they had so many qualified applications that I need to try to get more diverse experience to stand out. So while I love my vet tech job, that probably wouldn't add anything to me being more well rounded. But I know it's such good experience!
Thanks so much for the advice. I just graduated, moved home, and am really working on my game plan right now. I know I'm too late for a grad program for the fall. Grad school/no grad school, still not sure. 😕
 
Ah yes, well that's to be expected huh, everything is always going up! Sorry for the incorrect infos ~

No need to apologize. I just wanted to let you know since you said you were considering going to the caribbean schools.
 
My gpa was the norm at the one school I interviewed at. I was told they had so many qualified applications that I need to try to get more diverse experience to stand out. So while I love my vet tech job, that probably wouldn't add anything to me being more well rounded. But I know it's such good experience!
Thanks so much for the advice. I just graduated, moved home, and am really working on my game plan right now. I know I'm too late for a grad program for the fall. Grad school/no grad school, still not sure. 😕

Hello JerseyLynn,

If your GPA is within the range of the schools you are interested in and you are looking to diversify your experience, I would definitely considering working in a basic science research laboratory, clinical research, or wildlife rehabilitation. I met a recent graduate in your position recently. She is working as a research technician in the biomedical department of the veterinary school and will have recommendations from faculty members to support her subsequent application.

Congratulations on graduating and good luck!