1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

grad school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kate333, May 17, 2002.

1. kate333

kate333 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi,
    did anyone get into DO with a master? if so can you please post your Grad school, you undergra GPA, grad GPA, MCAT score, and EC. and what schools you get into?

thank you so much,
    Kate

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GDubDO

GDubDO Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey Kate,
    I went ahead and got my MPH from SDSU before I started med school. I just felt like i needed something more than "average" undergrad grades (3.25 if i remember correctly) and "average" MCAT scores (9's/10's), to help me stand out. I also worked in research (academic and county public health) for a few years after grad school, and i think that may have also made a difference. If your considering grad school as an option, I say go for it. It'll allow you the opportunity to improve your CV for both med school apps as well as residencey apps. Let me know if I can help with any more info...

Greg
    MS1 WUHS-COMP

4. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I also did an MPH before med school. I completed it at the University of Oklahoma. I feel like public health is a good complement to osteopathic medicine.

My grad GPA in undergrad was ~ 3.65 and grad was 4.0; 31 MCAT.

I agree with GDubDO that it is a good addition to your CV and applications. You can also get some good healthcare experience during and after grad school (even non-patient care experience is good).

5. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Undergrad 3.4
    Grad GPA 3.76 from a top 20 U.
    Total GPA according to AACOMAS 3.54
    MCAT 28

Interviewed at CCOM and UHS. Accepted at both.

6. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I got my masters in bioethics last year and I think it really helped my apps... as well as rounded out my experiences. It was a more philosophy based degree but I also got 200 clinical hours doing rounds, etc.. and I spoke a lot about it in my interviews.

Undergrad GPA: 3.5 science: 3.3 Grad GPA(no science courses): 4.0 overall GPA: 3.6
    1st MCAT: 24N 2nd MCAT: 32Q (took Kaplan)

Do something that you're interested in and your passion and enthusiasm will really show, I found what I wanted to do (geriatrics with an emphasis on end-of-life car) while getting my masters.

Best of luck! :)

Oh yeah, I got interviews and was accepted at all of the schools I applied to (and even turned down two interviews).

7. jrich15

jrich15 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll be graduating in May with a Master's in biology (emphasis molecular and cellular biology) from LSU,gpa 3.58;undergrad 3.18 Biology MCAT 28; accepted to AZCOM. I would also do Master's if you are wanting to add to your app. I enjoyed it. I would recommend to do it something you interested in...not what you think the medschool wants.