Grad Schools-Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IowaAudiology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Communication Sciences and Disorders undergraduate.

I was wondering what Graduate Schools I should be applying to with around a 3.0 GPA. Does anybody have suggestions?

Are there any schools that are locks to get into? I ask because I would hope to get into some Graduate School, otherwise there is not a lot I can do with this major.

If I do not get into a Graduate School, what other options do I have with a bachelors in Communication Sciences and Disorders?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3.0 is not too shabby! Apply everywhere you want to! If you're worried, then apply to as many schools as you can reasonably afford to. Also use http://www.asha.org/edfind.htm to get an idea of average GPA's, but remember it's just an average. It doesn't give all the information such as GPA's that might be far above or below the average. If you meet the criteria for admission to both the department and the graduate school then I wouldn't start discounting your chances on acceptance. Graduate schools are competing for you just like you're competing against other students. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

Any other advice?

You can apply to various other therapy programs without a major-specific degree, in case you're not dead-set on pursuing audiology. Occupational therapy is one program I know for sure, but I know there are others. You can also apply for SLP programs with a communication sciences undergraduate degree.

Although you are not certified without a graduate education, you can still work in some industrial settings (threshold monitoring in factories, for instance) or you could get a job as an administrative assistant in an audiologist's office or with an otolaryngologist.

If you don't get in this year, you can always work on your GPA (or get an internship) and reapply next season.

Was 3.0 GPA your cumulative or specific to your major? As Ashley said, there are other therapy programs out there. Have you considered Special Eduation?

3.0 GPA is actually both my CSD GPA and my Cumulative GPA (they are very similar).

I do know that I for sure want to be an audiologist. I am not really considering anything else (unless if I have trouble getting in to a Grad School somewhere).

3.0 GPA is actually both my CSD GPA and my Cumulative GPA (they are very similar).

I do know that I for sure want to be an audiologist. I am not really considering anything else (unless if I have trouble getting in to a Grad School somewhere).

STRONG letters of rec, STRONG GRE, and lots of volunteering/observation and applying to schools with a min req of 3.0 GPA should put you in a decent position. I have a 3.6 Major GPA with 3.5 overall and my professor told me it wasn't a very strong GPA lol, made me feel like ****

I am sorry, but your advisor is just wrong. I think that is a pretty strong GPA. Not everyone in the world can walk around with 4.0's. It's not easy.

STRONG letters of rec, STRONG GRE, and lots of volunteering/observation and applying to schools with a min req of 3.0 GPA should put you in a decent position. I have a 3.6 Major GPA with 3.5 overall and my professor told me it wasn't a very strong GPA lol, made me feel like ****

Well she can take my 3.3 undergrad GPA and put it you know where. :cool:

The GRE was my meal ticket in. Buy the Kaplan book and invest some time in to it.

To be honest, my Cum GPA was like a 2.9, my BA is in Chemistry/minor Physics. I wrote a very strong cover letter, made sure I had very good letters of recommendation, and did pretty well on the GRE. I also went for a tour to meet the faculty and see the facility so I wasnt just some name on the paper in front of them. I applied to 6 schools, was accepted to 2.

It's important to consider the GPA trend also. I go to UW Seattle (postbac) and for admissions here they only consider the last 90 credit hours as your GPA & I know Texas Austin only looks at Junior Senior level courses. I had a weak freshman year so my 3.4 is about a 3.8 using these alternative metrics.

To be honest, my Cum GPA was like a 2.9, my BA is in Chemistry/minor Physics. I wrote a very strong cover letter, made sure I had very good letters of recommendation, and did pretty well on the GRE. I also went for a tour to meet the faculty and see the facility so I wasnt just some name on the paper in front of them. I applied to 6 schools, was accepted to 2.

I agree with you on the GPA isn't always the deciding factor.

I was like you with a pre-med background and if you can hold a 3.0 in pre-med then the pre-reqs for audiology are a cake walk. I think most schools look at your GPA and your GRE to put you into the maybe pile.

Then they look at your experience, cover letter, and letters of rec - if these look great then most likely you will see an offer, if not then you may get put in the maybe pile and get picked if first round offers aren't taken.

When it comes to schools for audiology I take the same approach I took for med schools - there is a school for everyone and the degree is what matters, not where you got it at. I've put AuD's from the top schools to shame in conferences and workshops with my po-dunk grad school AuD. It's about what you are willing to learn rather than where you're willing to learn.

Remember that.

Oh GRE....I shall see what your about

Last edited: