Grade Conversion chart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biotechie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there somewhere on the net where I can see the conversion chart to convert my Canadian grades. My school does it out of 100, so I need to change it to the American Dental associations 4.0 format. Can someone please provide the link.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get between 80-89 is that a 3.0 a 3.33 or a 3.67

I have never seen a chart like this. Like what is an 86 worth, and what grade is worth 4.33??

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that they have a different conversion table for Canadian schools...I'd suggest you as the university registrar first...something I have to do too :)

Biotechie said:
If you get between 80-89 is that a 3.0 a 3.33 or a 3.67

I have never seen a chart like this. Like what is an 86 worth, and what grade is worth 4.33??

If you really want to know the real answer, you should call up the schools you want to apply to and ask them because each school might convert Canadian GPAs differently. I recently contacted UDM and the lady clarified a few things for me. I hope this is helpful.

The University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
welcomes the application of any Canadian applicant.
*Yearly, the number of matriculating Canadian students
varies, depending upon the competitive nature of that
application pool. *In 2003, 19 Canadians entered our class
of 77 students. *In 2004, only 7 Canadians entered our
class of 78.

As for entering GPA, it has been around 3.54 for the past
two years and the scale conversion is as follows:

80-100 = 4.0 = A
70-80 *= 3.0 = B
60-70 *= 2.0 = C
50-60 *= 1.0 = D
below 50 = 0.0 or failing

GPA is calculated by average quality points (credits x
value/total credits). *A full year course at UWO is
equivalent to 6.0 credits and a half-year course is
equivalent to 3.0 credits.

This is pretty much what all the American schools are going by if you are graduating from a Canadian University. Also, a lot of the American schools require that you have a full year english credit. Coming from Ontario, all the schools I've talked to said that my ontario academic credit (OAC) in english was sufficient. My advice is that try to get your school to send you your transcripts with letter grades attached to it as well as percentages and then the conversion is much easier. And i think that DATs are weighted heavily for international students because this gives the admissions committee an idea of how our school system compares to theirs. So if you have a low GPA but an excellent DAT, they will adjust it accordingly.

JaysonKail - thanks for all that info. One question still lingers in my mind: if that is the scale that the US schools use to assess Canadian GPAs, then do they even look at the GPA calculated by AADSAS?

favabean said:
JaysonKail - thanks for all that info. One question still lingers in my mind: if that is the scale that the US schools use to assess Canadian GPAs, then do they even look at the GPA calculated by AADSAS?

That is a good question. I don't really have the answer to that yet because I am applying in May or whenever registration starts for the 2006 cycle. If you look on the AADSAS conversion chart, provided above, you will notice that if your grades are in terms of letters, i.e. A, B, C, or D with their corresponding values 4, 3, 2, 1 repectively you will be on par with everybody else. If we Canadians used another scale on that chart, like percentages, our GPAs would be like a 2 or a low 3 which does not reflect our intellectual capacity and it does not take into account the types of grades the rest of the class got, ie. if you got a 70 in the course you could have been in the top 10% of your class. To be honest with you, I know Columbia and UofP weigh DAT scores heavily (those are the schools I'm applying to plus a few others). I wouldn't worry about GPAs until you take your DATs. Who's to say that a 3.5 gpa is better than a 2.8 gpa without knowing the academic history of that individual? The person that got a 3.5 could have taken only one course at a time as oppose to the person with a 2.8 who might have taken 5 courses at once. It's all relative. Schools look at you on an individual basis. That is why I have such a problem with people posting inflated GPAs on this forum and then wondering why their dat scores are not up to par. My advice to everybody, don't let anybody tell you your grades are not competitive, if you want to be a dentist then you'll do whatever it takes to become one, even if it means studying night and day for 4 months straight for one test: the DAT.

Jayson

Jayson - well said! Where are you applying in Can?

favabean said:
Jayson - well said! Where are you applying in Can?

I'm applying to McGill, UofT, UWO, UBC, UofA in Canada. How about you? What schools are you applying to? (Canada or US).

jayson - I'm applying to UofT, McGill, UWO and UBC in addition to several US schools like BU, NYU, Nova, UPenn, Creighton and others. Best of luck!