Grade decline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teatime

UC Davis c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finishing up physics 2 this semester (the final is tomorrow and I really should be studying..eek!) and will most likely be getting a B unless I perform some kind of miracle. I got an A last semester and I'm just wondering how bad this looks in terms of a decline in "performance"? physics 1 was not easy, but compared to the material this semester it feels like that was a cake walk...

Members don't see this ad.

A B is fine and not a cause for concern.

I got a B in Physics 1 an a B- in Physics 2. I HATE math. It was never, ever brought up during my interviews. Dont sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, the grades are not even brought up during the interview, and it was explained that the interview was to 'get to know me'. As far as other parts of the application process go, I think it depends on the context. One random B in the second part of a class shouldn't alarm them. Is it accompanied by lower grades across the board during that semester? Are you consistently doing worse in any upper level class? If this isn't the case, and its just a random B, don't sweat it. Its when your overall performance is dropping that it looks worse.

Pfft a B is nothin'. I had a 4.0 for 2 years and then by the time I applied (like a year later) I had come down to a 3.55....that's saying something! Too many C's. I still got in. I wouldn't worry about 1 B

And in response to BomberCanoe's comment....if you have gotten bad grades or there is a downward trend in your GPA they can and most likely will ask you about it in interviews. I was asked about mine in all but 1 of my interviews. It all really depends on the school, but most of them will ask about it if it is an open file interview. BomberCanoe might not have...but it does happen quite frequently

We talked about my grades in my interview as well. That being said..a B is nothing to worry about and is very unlikely to be mentioned. A semester of almost solid C's or something on the other hand will almost certainly be talked about in an interview.

uh, yeah...it's not like I totally checked out this semester or anything, haha.

This will be my 4th B for my science pre-reqs. Once in gen chem 1, both o-chems, and now. I'm hoping that my A's in general bio, biochem, nutrition, and (fingers crossed, genetics and animal physio this summer) will balance those out. It will affect my GPA a bit, but hey, at least I'm done with physics forever!

Pretty sure most of my science pre-reqs were Bs. You should be OK.

Never had anyone question my grades and the only discussions we had about them were the ones I brought up. My GPA goes from a 3.7 to a 3.2 to a 3.1 to a 3.6 to a 3.2 to a 3.1 to a 3.4 to a 4.0 to a 3.7. Bit of a roller coaster, but they didn't seem to care. Not audibly at least.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. :)... no longer :scared:

:confused: When that becomes 4 Cs in pre-reqs then worry

Hmm, I had C's in Calc, Ochem 2, and Repro, as well as one non-science/prereq C.
And that's in addition 7 B--'s. And there were still schools that wanted me!

So for those of you with multiple C's who are currently going "oh ****," don't lose all hope!

Hmm, I had C's in Calc, Ochem 2, and Repro, as well as one non-science/prereq C.

So for those of you with multiple C's who are currently going "oh ****," don't lose all hope!

Thank goodness! My heart leapt into my throat for a minute there! C+ in physics I (A in phys II), C+ in biochem and recently a *cough* not so wonderful grade in ochem II that I'm retaking this summer.

My GPA is high though so hopefully they'll be able to look past my chemistry/physical science flaws, and I'm planning on kicking serious butt next year to have a nice upward trend my senior year (stupid ochem retake pushed back my application a year).

I would not worry about a single B reflecting a "grade decline." Now going from all A's to all B's might be something worth explaining, though likely not to worry about too much.
However, don't put it past interviewers to ask about your grades anyways. During my Penn interview they asked my GPA and followed it up with "and what caused the .15 points bringing you down from a 4.0?" I was so busy thinking "we're seriously going to waste time discussing my >3.8 GPA?" that I totally stumbled over the question :rolleyes:

oh i didnt mean that 4 Cs in prereqs=no acceptance. i just mean u should worry more. I could have said something really mean to the OP because i couldnt believe Bs were making someone worry lol

I too had C's in orgo 2, calc 2 and biochem and I got 3 interviews so any new timers dont worry! its possible!

oh i didnt mean that 4 Cs in prereqs=no acceptance. i just mean u should worry more. I could have said something really mean to the OP because i couldnt believe Bs were making someone worry lol

I too had C's in orgo 2, calc 2 and biochem and I got 3 interviews so any new timers dont worry! its possible!

I'm glad you didn't say anything mean to me. :laugh:
But really, I worry because I'm a non-trad and most of my pre-reqs have been done at a CC. So at times I feel like I have to do even better to be on the same playing field as everyone else. I don't have this extensive undergrad science background ya know?

Guess I am not getting any tutoring from you in biochem! :laugh:

Guess I am not getting any tutoring from you in biochem! :laugh:

:laugh: i was hoping u'd help me!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm not giving up in that class. My teacher was insane and our tests were all multiple choice usually only 25 Qs so it was really easy to fail. I'm trying to walk into first semester with my head up and confidence!! Maybe I'll surprise myself and actually do well with a different teacher. However, I know the subject is hard either way, but :xf: . I am definitely more scared about bchm than anatomy haha