Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Grade Point Average

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dr. Yankem, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi,

I'm familiar with only the following GPA conversion:
    % Letter GPA
    85-100 A+/A 4.0
    80-84 A- 3.7
    77-79 B+ 3.3
    73-76 B 3.0
    70-72 B- 2.7
    etc...

Many people post averages of 3.6 and 3.88 so where do those sit in the above chart?
    I go to a Canadian school and this grading system is consisting with U of T's method, are US schools different?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Yes very different
    A 100-94
    A- 94-90
    B+ 89-87
    B 85-83
    B- 83-80
    C+ 79-77
    C 77-74

4. apaul

apaul Some Dude
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    holy cow!, I'd have straight A's in Canada eh?

5. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so a US student with a college/university GPA of 3.7 has a (insert letter grade) and a (insert % grade)...

6. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Whoops, I got it a bit wrong. This is what I meant:

A+ 90-100 (4.00)
    A 85-89 (3.90)
    A- 80-84 (3.70)
    B+ 77-79 (3.30)
    B 73-76 (3.00)
    B- 70-72 (2.70)

Notice how there is a wide range of grade points missing from this GPA system (e.g. a student with a 79% overall earns a B+ and receives a 3.30 GPA, but a student with an 80% overall earns an A- and 3.70 GPA. So I guess there just isn't a grade that lies at 3.40, 3.50. 3.60 in this system, correct me if I'm wrong).

7. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    there are different methods of calculation. Some use 3.3 for B+ and 3.7 for A- while others use 3.333 for B+ and 3.667 for A-. In most cases, the final calculated GPA wouldn't differ by much. I believe AADSAS uses the 2nd method while my undergrad school used the 1st method, and the result differed by less than 0.05 since many of my B+'s and A-'s cancelled each other out.

8. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    either way, an A in canada is really easy to get

9. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    another thing to note, an A is normally set at 4.0. Some schools consider A+ also as 4.0, while others calculate it as 4.3 or 4.333. AADSAS does take A+ into consideration and calculates it as 4.333.

10. prez_al

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Right... the educational system is totally different from all accounts, there's no way you can assume you'll get straight A's in Canada until you actually go to a Canadian institution (where the avg is usually a C+/B-). In fact the mark distribution is the same as the states. But then again, I can see A LOT of ppl getting upset if a Canadian steals their spot in dental school cuz we have it easier apparently :rolleyes: . But I believe that the same amount of work is required to achieve a certain letter grade regardless of the difference in percentages, so saying how one system favours another is kinda redundant. If you think about it this way, the diff between an A- and A+ in the states is 5% while in Canada is 10%, so in a way more effort is required to get those grades. Just hope your remark doesn't imply that Canadians are a bunch of slackers who watch hockey in our igloos while eating our poutine and therefore we get off easy :cool: .

To the OP, my cGPA using the Canadian system is 3.7, while the AADSAS calculation gives me a 3.8 if that's any help to you if you wanna know where you stand.

11. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, that's true, I read about it somewhere how a "+" indicates an extra 0.25 or 0.33 grade points while a "-" is just the opposite. Thanks for your info!

Also theses values are obtained from OMSAS (Ontario Medical School Application Service) 2007 column "3".

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

12. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey prez_al thanks for your response

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully that isn't what OSUDDS was implying, I probably inadvertently misled him/her by my original and incorrect post.

I also currently had a 3.7 CDN cGPA, so I'm guessing that the AADSAS probably gave you some additional grade points for A+ grades since your US GPA was slightly higher?

Also I found this AADSAS Application Instruction online and it shows GPA calculations that are essentially the same as the OMSAS column 3 values. So the US system isn't that different compared to the CDN one then, except that I don't think Canadians are awarded additional grade points (i.e. 4.33) for A+ grades since a 4.0 is the maximum a CDN applicant can receive in Canada.

See Page 40 on GPA Calculations
    http://www.adea.org/AADSAS/WebDocs/AppAADSASInstructions.pdf

13. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The AADSAS also awards an intermediate "AB" (and a "BC") grade(s) that corresponds to a GPA of 3.5. That's definitely a nice feature that the OMSAS doesn't have, you're either a 3.3 or a 3.7...

14. Chakshu

Chakshu Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Dunno about easy or hard but entering GPA for dental school at U of T is around 3.85 while for UWO (University of Western Ontario), its around 85% (they look at percentages). This past admission cycle, applicant required a minimum average of 3.72 GPA using the above GPA system just to get an interview.

15. kvip

kvip Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

r u serious? i am a canadian and my school gives out numerical marks such as 75, 80 etc. so u mean if i get 78 thats only a C+ even though according to canadian standards thats a B+

16. Chakshu

Chakshu Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was told by some SDNers (I am at U of T) that they will only look at your letter grade regardless of marks, so don't worry about your grade in terms of numbers

17. kvip

kvip Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

hmm..what i mean is my school doesn't give out letter grades but a numerical mark for each course i take, so when i enter the marks, will i have to enter the numerical mark or convert it myself to a letter grade or do they do that for me? i am confused. :confused: thanks for ur help though. :)