Grade replacement policy for grad school admission?

Started by deleted244469
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted244469

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if there is a "standard" to this? Are grade replacements permitted? I know for example, AACOMAS (Osteopathic Medicine) Allows grade replacements to be used towards admission (They take the higher grade), while the AMCAS (MD) averages the two grades together. Any insight into this for graduate programs?

Thanks
 
I was wondering if there is a "standard" to this? Are grade replacements permitted? I know for example, AACOMAS (Osteopathic Medicine) Allows grade replacements to be used towards admission (They take the higher grade), while the AMCAS (MD) averages the two grades together. Any insight into this for graduate programs?

Thanks

I think it depends on how your undergraduate institution calculates them into your GPA. My UG did not allow grade replacement. If you failed a course or received below a C and had to take it a second time both grades were entered into your GPA calculation and the credits for the course were entered twice as well. A school near to me now allows I think up to 5 replacements. Their transcripts do not list that you took the course twice, and only the higher grade is entered into the GPA calculation.

The safest way to know for sure is to find out the policy for each graduate school you are interested in.
 
At my school you could replace a c or lower with a new grade 3 times. If you did this, your GPA would reflect the replacement, but both grades would show up on your transcript. In this case, it's my understanding that most schools don't pay too much attention to it unless it seems to be a common trend in your undergrad. Besides, many schools won't take the time to comb over your courses and will just take your GPA for what it is on the transcript.

If it is a significant enough concern however, I would also suggest inquiring about program application policies.