Grade replacement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wickl087

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I transferred from a small out-of-state school to a very large state school. As a freshman I took a course called: "Introductory Biology: Principles" (1xx level) and got a C in it. This was like "general biology 1" for the school and "general biology 2" is "Introductory Biology: Diversity".

I would like to retake the class at my new school, but unfortunately this class didn't transfer, so there isn't an equivalent class where I am now. The closest thing to it is a one semester class called "General Biology" (1xxx level) or a 2 semester sequence which is "Foundations of Biology for Biology Majors Pt. 1" and "Foundations of Biology for Biology Majors Pt. 2" (2xxx level).

If I took "General Biology" (1xxx level) as the retake for my C at my other university, would I be able to explain this anywhere on the application? Or, would I be able to get away with taking "Introductory Biology for Biology Majors Pt. 1" (2xxx level) as the replacement?

Edit: Also, the 2xxx level biology course for biology majors has prerequisites of general chemistry and calculus 1, whereas the 1xxx level doesn't have any.

Members don't see this ad.

On the application you will select that it was a grade replacement for first course. You will want to make sure that the course descriptions for the two courses are very similar with the same breadth of knowledge. With that said, the usual sequence for Pre-med's is Biology 1 and 2 for majors. This other "General Biology" course sounds like a Bio for non-majors.