Grade Trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown3234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find anything about LECOM - Bradenton and Nova Southeastern concerning how they look at grade trends. I have a couple of questions.
1) Are these the only florida school for DO?
2) Do these schools look at grade trends?

My first two years at the cc were bad (2.88). At the university I am studying psychology and so far have a 3.94. My overall science gpa will end up being around a 3.1-3.3. This why I was wondering about the grade trends. Also if anyone has had first hand experience with these schools or other florida schools if I have missed one. Thanks for opinions, sorry that this sounds like a chances thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Unknown3234 said:
I did a search and didn't find anything about LECOM - Bradenton and Nova Southeastern concerning how they look at grade trends. I have a couple of questions.
1) Are these the only florida school for DO?
2) Do these schools look at grade trends?

My first two years at the cc were bad (2.88). At the university I am studying psychology and so far have a 3.94. My overall science gpa will end up being around a 3.1-3.3. This why I was wondering about the grade trends. Also if anyone has had first hand experience with these schools or other florida schools if I have missed one. Thanks for opinions, sorry that this sounds like a chances thread.

Yes, those are the only DO schools in FL. Grade trends aren't really that important - what's important is simply your overall GPA when all is said and done. Honestly I think they just look at that and don't spend too much time analyzing individual grades you got in freshman english or math or whatever. If you DID have a series of low grades, of course it would be better for them to be in the beginning of college and not the end. 2.88 isn't that bad by the way. You'll be fine.

I would reccomend writing reasons for the trend in your primary aplication letter. Say something like that when you first started school you weren't too sure what you were going to do but then when you realized that medicine is you path in life you focused and exceded the average GPA for acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
(nicedream) said:
Yes, those are the only DO schools in FL. Grade trends aren't really that important - what's important is simply your overall GPA when all is said and done. Honestly I think they just look at that and don't spend too much time analyzing individual grades you got in freshman english or math or whatever. If you DID have a series of low grades, of course it would be better for them to be in the beginning of college and not the end. 2.88 isn't that bad by the way. You'll be fine.
So a 2.88 isn't that bad? I just looked at my transcripts and my cummulative is a 3.06. I really thought that wasn't a chance at all, without schools looking at the trend in my grades. I have made a complete turn around from making Cs, some Bs and a few As to mostly As and no Cs. LECOM - bradenton and NSUCOM are the schools that I will be applying to once I take the MCAT, assuming I do well.

Unknown3234 said:
So a 2.88 isn't that bad? I just looked at my transcripts and my cummulative is a 3.06. I really thought that wasn't a chance at all, without schools looking at the trend in my grades. I have made a complete turn around from making Cs, some Bs and a few As to mostly As and no Cs. LECOM - bradenton and NSUCOM are the schools that I will be applying to once I take the MCAT, assuming I do well.

Nah, not a big deal. Try to get over a 25 on MCAT. I would apply to more than two schools though for sure.

I want to and my wife and I are still talking about it. She isn't really liking the idea of moving but she would if I said we had to. I trying to convince her it would be for the best so that she is more accepting of it. Also so I feel like a butthead by saying hey we have to move like or not..... Thanks for the advice on this.

Unknown3234 said:
I want to and my wife and I are still talking about it. She isn't really liking the idea of moving but she would if I said we had to. I trying to convince her it would be for the best so that she is more accepting of it. Also so I feel like a butthead by saying hey we have to move like or not..... Thanks for the advice on this.

Well you can always apply to a bunch of schools, and see where things lie after that. Cross that bridge when you come to it.