Grades after being accepted into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoKnowsMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do your grades even matter after you get accepted into med school? like can they reject you for getting all C's your last semester after you've been accepted into their med program?

Members don't see this ad.

In theory, yes. In actuality... maybe. I would aim for As and Bs. Cs are getting into dubious territory and Fs are absolutely bad. Why risk having your acceptance rescinded due to laziness?

My GPA dropped by about 0.15 points over the course of senior year and it was never mentioned. However, that was with mostly As and B+s with a B thrown in every once and a while.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your grades even matter after you get accepted into med school? like can they reject you for getting all C's your last semester after you've been accepted into their med program?

If you are the type of person where that is a risk, there's a good chance that you wouldn't have been accepted in the first place. Needless to say it would be significantly frowned upon. I have not heard of any stories where it happened to anyone however.

Hey guys, I was wondering about a general scenario though. I'm not looking to get C's but I'm taking 20 credits for my last semester this fall (im and 3 and 1/2 yr person) and I'm only taking 20 because I've added two completely unnecessary classes (computer programming and economics) because I feel I want to learn these things when I've got the chance because they interest me. My GPA is 3.8+ but judging but this course load and my busy interview schedule/lax attitude toward senior year I will probably get a few Bs. I still have a couple tough science ones like Intro to Tox and Neurobio but I was wondering...if I haven't gotten an acceptance by January of 2014 will I be required to update with Fall 2013 grades...and as a result should I stop messing around and just take what's required?

Hey guys, I was wondering about a general scenario though. I'm not looking to get C's but I'm taking 20 credits for my last semester this fall (im and 3 and 1/2 yr person) and I'm only taking 20 because I've added two completely unnecessary classes (computer programming and economics) because I feel I want to learn these things when I've got the chance because they interest me. My GPA is 3.8+ but judging but this course load and my busy interview schedule/lax attitude toward senior year I will probably get a few Bs. I still have a couple tough science ones like Intro to Tox and Neurobio but I was wondering...if I haven't gotten an acceptance by January of 2014 will I be required to update with Fall 2013 grades...and as a result should I stop messing around and just take what's required?

Most schools do not "require" that you update them with mid-year grades. TMDSAS schools are the only exception to this that I know of. However, you can always use grades as an excuse for an update letter which could be nice depending on how things worked out. Obviously updating a school about less-than-awesome grades isn't ideal.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I
My GPA dropped by about 0.15 points over the course of senior year and it was never mentioned. However, that was with mostly As and B+s with a B thrown in every once and a while.
Overall GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 3.99

I can see why they wouldn't care much.

You bastard.

Overall GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 3.99

I can see why they wouldn't care much.

You bastard.

Haha. I did have some incentive because it would've been cool to graduate summa, but once that first acceptance came in my motivation plummeted almost instantly regardless.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Haha. I did have some incentive because it would've been cool to graduate summa, but once that first acceptance came in my motivation plummeted almost instantly regardless.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yeah I want to be lazy but my natural drive prevents me from doing so... So I just end up procrastinating and waiting last second to start and finish assignments. But I will still get the 100s lol.