Grades...again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I know most of you have already seen more than your share of this kind of a post but I can't help but ask. I am currently entering my Junior year of college as a biology major/chemistry minor. However, my grades are more than a little bit worrying me. My overall GPA is a 3.1. I received C's in organic chem over the summer last year which brought it down alot. Im just starting to volunteer now at a health facility and I hope to soon shadow a DO doctor. I plan to take the MCAT next April. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of entering a DO med school? Am I still in fair standing or is it a real long shot? Once again I'm sorry for asking your opinion about how I stand but I'm sure alot of you who have already been in my shoes know how I feel. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take your mcat yet? How good are your ec's? There is a lot to the whole acceptance game. Your personal statement and interview play a large part in gaining an acceptance as well. Grades are just one facet of the application, and a 3.1 isnt terrible, just try and bring it up you still have time.

In regards to your situation, I agree with the previous poster in that there is a lot of things that count for your application. However, some reality must be added. Depending on whether or not you had special circumstances impeding your academic progress, the admission committees will take a hard look at your GPA. I was told by many DOs and admission staff personnel that GPA and MCAT are a must to attain medical school admission. Each school has their own requirement and standards. You must have some sort of solid GPA to put your foot through the door. Once you have put your foot through the door, then you can flash all the bells and whistles on your resume. With that said, it sounds like you have no shot. Beware!! Hard work and perservearance count too. If the staff can see a trend of high raising grades, and you can take a couple of courses that can bring your GPA a little higher, it will look good in your favor. My advice to you is to take upper level science courses to add more "flavor" to your application and boost that GPA. From your previous post, your desire to become a physician is strong. So do whatever it takes.
Furthermore, I have told some pre meds in the past is that perking up your health care experience by becoming a PCA or a EMT (Basic or Paramedic) will look good. That shows the staff you have a strong desire. Furthermore, it will take some coursework to get these certifications which can count toward increasing your GPA.

In regards to the MCAT, the only advice I say for that is ...

ROCK IT!!

Do as best as you can and shoot for a score above a 26 or 27.

Also...one last thing to add...improve your Science GPA

Hope this helps and keep on working!!

Members don't see this ad :)
while I will agree with getting some clinical exposure, why would someone go to a program for 1-2 years to become an EMT? that's time that could be spent doing productive things, not that EMT's aren't productive. all you have to do is either get a regular job in the hospital, volunteer, or shadow for awhile. and on the other note, how can anyone tell someone else that they don't have a shot at getting into medical school, as if you were the admissions committee??? :thumbdown: If you just put your mind on what you want and know that it is achievable, then you can accomplish anything. :thumbup:

Hihi,

I agree with the previous posters - you really need to get that GPA up. Most schools won't even look seriously at you as anything but a backup if your GPA falls below 3.0, unless you have something outstanding about your application. The admissions people at COMP and TUCOM said 3.0 is where they have their interview cutoff for the first few rounds. You don't want to be in this situation where one slip up and you're in trouble. I think if you can get your GPA to 3.3+, you should be okay. You'll also need a good MCAT score... 25-26+ should be sufficient.

Sometimes I wonder how much adcoms really look at each individual class you took - they have hundreds of applications per month to sift through. That being said, I know some friends who got into med school who took some upper division classes, but also who took some easy science classes to boost their GPA. Cheesy? maybe - but if you don't get past screening, you're sunk anyways.

Don't give up - my friend is starting COMP this year, and got accepted to TUCOM, with a 3.3 GPA and 3.1 Science GPA (along with 5 Cs on his record all in science classes). His Science GPA would have been <3.0 if he didn't take some science classes for humanities majors - but hey, he got 2 acceptances and turned down an interview at AZCOM. It's still possible! I hope this helps.

Premed...

You only need to do 3 things...

1) Make a strong effort to keep your grades at this level or higher...(as if that is an easy thing to do without sweating bullets :rolleyes:

2) Focus, focus, focus, and focus a lil' more on the MCAT (the higher the score, the better :D --easier said than done...I know :rolleyes: )

and

3) VOTE for President of the good ol' U-S-of-A. :thumbup:

Just kidding...
3) Write a kick a$$ personal statement....(try to center it on some kind of life-altering event that may justify some of the C's :idea: )

Good Luck and we are all here to help!!!! Right guys/girls???? :laugh:
"You can't spell Doctor without the DO!"

Thanks you very much to everyone for your responses. It helps alot to know people are there to offer help and guidance.