grades! horrible BEGINNNING grades...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligirl!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok hey guys...im an education major at syracuse...and I took my first 2 sci classes everrrr...they are Physics and Bio...I def got a B- in physics and a B/b- HOPEFULLY A B in bio....is this really bad? my sci gpa is really low as a result...my overal gpa is like a 3.4-3.5 something aroudn there...what are some easy sci clases that can boost my gpa?

thanks!
again its my first time taking sci classes so i was kinda lazy/didn't know what i was doing so hopefully I'll do better next time...anyone else with this type of experience?

Members don't see this ad.

you're right
stop getting horrible grades, and start treating school as important in your life. it's not what you learn, it's how you approach learning.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're right
stop getting horrible grades, and start treating school as important in your life. it's not what you learn, it's how you approach learning.

Thats probaly the most profound stament I have heard in a while. <<Sarcasm>>

Caligirl Don't worry science classes are different then the other classes you have taken. B's even B-'s aren't bad at first just try to learn from your experience. My first couple Gen Chem/Bio classes I got B's in, I kept going and received A's in Organic and Biochemistry and A's in Cell and Molecular. Just keep your goal in mind.

Thats probaly the most profound stament I have heard in a while. <<Sarcasm>>

Caligirl Don't worry science classes are different then the other classes you have taken. B's even B-'s aren't bad at first just try to learn from your experience. My first couple Gen Chem/Bio classes I got B's in, I kept going and received A's in Organic and Biochemistry and A's in Cell and Molecular. Just keep your goal in mind.

thanks pmantz! thats incredibly encouraging...!! your sci gpa is really high too!

dont look for easy classes, spend your time studying harder because its only going to get worse.

EXACTLY

dont look for easy classes, spend your time studying harder because its only going to get worse.

because you are posting on a chat room for dental school, we can only assume you want to goto dental school...

to get a taste of what that's like, take 16+ credits of science a term, and also burden yourself with another 20 hours+ a week of something you have to do and have to do well...(in dental school it's labwork). First term of dental school at most schools is 24 credit hours.

to your 'how do you get good grades?" question, you work harder than most of the people in the class, read more, reread more, make flashcards, be genuinely curious about what you're learning makes it a lot easier...getting good grades in science has to do with effort, repetition, association, and more effort and repetition. if you're doing well, you reach a point where you think everything you learn opens up more you don't know....then you'll be at the curiosity level that helps make getting As consistently in science much much easier.

with such an attitude, learning the bull$%it details necessary at an undergraduate level to achieve A's in science is very easy, and good prep for being successful in post-grad study.

heres the thing and trust me I can attest to the experience of not doing that great in the beginning. there are only 2 ways in which you will get good grades and succeed. 1. study hard(majority) 2. this stuff comes natural 2 you(minority(lucky people)). since you probably fall into the #1 category then you are going to have find some kind of drive or mindset. This is definately easier said then done. Remember Eat Good, Work Like a Slave, Eat Like a King.

"Knowledge is food for thought so I wisely swallow."

Working hard is key to success no matter what you intend on doing in life. My only advise is don't forget about happy hour. I don't have the highest GPA out there but I have always managed to have some fun and spend time with my family.

i always knew my goal was to attend professional school (medical or dental), so that helped keep me motivated to put in the long hours in undergrad. i never put off studying. i kept up with the reading (when i actually needed to read the text book to do well) and reread my notes as often as i could. then, right before a test, i would make sure i knew anything i hadn't had time to review.

bio courses were always easy for me but chem/physics was a CHORE!!! i always felt that i was putting in crazy amounts of time to master those courses, but i did it b/c i knew in the long run it would be worth it.

the key is putting in the hours, getting help when you need it, and not procrastinating.

the secret is to do better than everyone else in your class. it's a game. also, the professors will give you an idea as to what types of tests and questions they'll give you, so use a little psychological analysis to anticipate what they might ask on an exam. it's all part of the game, and you'll get better at it w/ time, but for now work your tail off and memorize everything. start every semester with high A's on every exam and by the end of the semester you'll feel comfortable w/ your professors exam style and you'll know what you need to do and also what you can skip out on.