grades in undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkim9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am worried about my grades as an undergraduate. I have a couple C on my transcript(3). I know for sure that I will not have anymore after this semester, but do I still have any chance of getting into med school? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bkim9 said:
Hey guys, I am worried about my grades as an undergraduate. I have a couple C on my transcript(3). I know for sure that I will not have anymore after this semester, but do I still have any chance of getting into med school? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Hell, I failed a class, got a D, and a crap-ton of C's in undergrad and I'm a US, allopathic MS1 (although I feel that osteopathic would've rocked too).

Do a post-bacc or some grad work and turn it around--let adcoms know you've learned from your mistakes.

bkim9 said:
What the heck are you doing?! Only 3 Cs? You need to throw in some more letters for variety. Seriously, that is nothing if everything else are As and Bs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the better question is, what is a compeditive GPA.

That is, at what point is a GPA high enough that its not a detracting factor for med school and allow for, say, high internship hours to shine through?

Orpheus333 said:
I think the better question is, what is a compeditive GPA.

That is, at what point is a GPA high enough that its not a detracting factor for med school and allow for, say, high internship hours to shine through?

i would say a competitive GPA would be 3.65+

bkim9 said:

well, we need more info...for example, are those C's in a core science class or in a class like philosophy? How are you doing in your core science classes and whats your overall and BCPM GPA's?

Well, I have a C in calc 2, Orgo 1, but thats all. I am afraid I am going to get my third C in Cell bio. My overall gpa is 3.54, my Science gpa is only like a 3.0 right now, but I do have alot of other science classes left and I got a B in orgo 2 so im not worried about getting another C. I don't know how accurate those average gpa listed on princeton review are for med schools, but there's probably other things that are considered if your gpa is borderline. Still wouldn't a school take someone who has a 3.54 gpa that has gotten alot of Bs, but no Cs instead of a person with the same gpa with a little Cs and not as many Bs? I don't know. Thanks for the comments guys.

bkim9 said:
Well, I have a C in calc 2, Orgo 1, but thats all. I am afraid I am going to get my third C in Cell bio. My overall gpa is 3.54, my Science gpa is only like a 3.0 right now, but I do have alot of other science classes left and I got a B in orgo 2 so im not worried about getting another C. I don't know how accurate those average gpa listed on princeton review are for med schools, but there's probably other things that are considered if your gpa is borderline. Still wouldn't a school take someone who has a 3.54 gpa that has gotten alot of Bs, but no Cs instead of a person with the same gpa with a little Cs and not as many Bs? I don't know. Thanks for the comments guys.

dont worry about the 'what ifs and the maybes'. This is what you should concentrate on: doing well on the rest of ur classes...med schools like to see that you have an upward trend. Bring your BCPM GPA up, this is important! Although your overall GPA is ok, a 3.0 in ur science classes will really cripple you so try your hardest in the rest of those science classes. Do well on the MCAT...if you have a low GPA, its important to try and compensate by doing well on them (I would say, if you ended up in the 3.0-3.5 area, you would want to shoot for a 33+). many people have gotten into med school with worse grades and people who got C's in calc and ochem...i myself got a C- in physics and F in calc and though it took me 3 tries, i finally got in this year. if you work hard enough, youll get in! good luck.