Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmission

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
snipped

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am... I heard that's what they do to filter out people and stuff.. but I'm very new to the whole process. Just a bit freaked...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I know that -- but I meant in college, if you get a B in say a bio or chem. class
and is it a bad sign if you struggle with Bio in high school?

Thanks,
Dmission

I am... I heard that's what they do to filter out people and stuff.. but I'm very new to the whole process. Just a bit freaked...

no you have to have a 4.0 to get into any med school. jk
a b is fine thats better than a c.

I got a C- in a biology course my freshman year in college.

I also just received my first medical school acceptance not long ago.

If you get a B in everything, your chances aren't great, but they're not impossible. Get less than a B average, and you can kiss medicine goodbye.

That being said, there are plenty of people that get into medical school that have some C's on their record, including some for the pre-reqs. You just have to make up for it somewhere.

Rogerwilco - congratulations!
mvenus929 - Do you mean a B in everything as in Bs in Chem and Bio, or straight Bs everywhere? I'll try for no C's, though :p

Thanks for the replies, all.

Are you in high school? At any rate, stay away from SDN and never come back, save MAYBE right before you fill out your med school apps. It's an orgy of neurosis and will make you feel inadequate and unsure of yourself. Try to do well, but relax and have fun!

Do Medical schools accept people that get a B in a Biology or Chemistry class? If you get a B in high school Bio or AP Bio, does that pretty much rule out medicine?

Thanks,
Dmission

I applied to harvard med. as a sophomore and they told me they could not accept me because I received an A- in differential polyscientific pseudosciene analytics.

Dude, B's are ok, and so are one or two C's. Just don't throw d's.

I applied to harvard med. as a sophomore and they told me they could not accept me because I received an A- in differential polyscientific pseudosciene analytics.

Dude, B's are ok, and so are one or two C's. Just don't throw d's.
Agreed. Med schools understand that things happen and you might not get perfect grades all the time. When the time comes, if you can explain away their worries, then you're golden.

I agree with the other post that you shouldn't think too much about med school at your age. Your focus is good but do what you need to do, learn on your own, and you'll do fine. Read up on SDN for pointers closer to apps but don't stress yourself out over things in the distant future.

Members don't see this ad :)
They better accept people with some B's or C's- I have a couple of them- almost all from a semester when i had a car wreck but still...

pre-meds contrary to popular belief are humans too!

B in high school biology= automatic rejection!

Let me tell you all a story...

I interviewed at a school not long ago, and I thought it went really well. I really hit it off with the interviewers. One of them was a triathlete, and the other was a UT grad! Just my luck! So we talked about racing, and Vince Young, and all kinds of stuff. Then, when we ended the interview, one of them told me "I look forward to continuing this conversation in the fall", and he winked.

I was sure I was in.

Then, a few weeks later, I get the rejection letter in the mail. I was shocked. It said on there to feel free to contact them to "see how to become a more competitive applicant", so I shot them an e-mail asking what the deal was. Here is a copy of their reply...

[SIZE=-1]TexasTriathlete <[email protected]> [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 1:35 PM [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Reply-To: [email protected]

To: Director of Admissions <[email protected]>
[/SIZE] Dear Mr. Triathlete,

Thank you for your interest in our program. At this time, we were unable to offer you admission because of a "Needs Improvement" progress report that you received in the 4th grade. Your teacher said that you were hyperactive, and that you drew Transformers in crayon all over your desk. Despite your many qualifications, this is simply not what we look for in a medical student. Perhaps you should consider a career as a ditch-digger. Best of luck in the future, wherever your path may take you.

Sincerely

Bob Smith, MD/PhD
Director of Admissons

Are you in high school? At any rate, stay away from SDN and never come back, save MAYBE right before you fill out your med school apps. It's an orgy of neurosis and will make you feel inadequate and unsure of yourself. Try to do well, but relax and have fun!

Haha, agreed! I didn't start SDN until right after I submitted primaries. :) It really can be quite helpful though in terms of keeping an eye on things, like the status check threads and interview threads etc. :) And sometimes, you just need to vent your insecurities, or ask a "stupid" question sometimes, and SDN USUALLY is helpful for that too.

Do Medical schools accept people that get a B in a Biology or Chemistry class? If you get a B in high school Bio or AP Bio, does that pretty much rule out medicine?

Thanks,
Dmission

Absolutely not. If you get a B you should look into Stewart University or post bacc programs asap. I wouldn't even recommend getting anything less than a 5 on your AP tests. Do youself a favor ... go to college for a few years, then come back to SDN. It will help you get more of a grasp on things.

Oh, I know that -- but I meant in college, if you get a B in say a bio or chem. class
and is it a bad sign if you struggle with Bio in high school?

Thanks,
Dmission

Dude...I have a D and a C on my record. I'm pretty confident that when I widen my school selection next year I'll get in somewhere.
Also, there are plenty of people with low GPAs that get in...it's not common, and it's not easy, but it happens.

If you're worried about 3-4 Bs...well just stop. lol.

Once I get a little more news, I'll repost my MDapps. You'll be able to see just how flawed my grades were in the past. Don't worry about a few B's.

you got Bs in your pre-pre-med classes???!!!! OMG, you are doomed. for real, dude.

and your high school ECs are critical too. Were you captain of the cheerleading squad? prom queen?

no??!! HAVE YOU SEEN IZZY??? give up now and save some grief.

Dude...I have a D and a C on my record. I'm pretty confident that when I widen my school selection next year I'll get in somewhere.
Also, there are plenty of people with low GPAs that get in...it's not common, and it's not easy, but it happens.

If you're worried about 3-4 Bs...well just stop. lol.

I got a D in a pre-req and several Bs in other pre-reqs and managed to get accepted.

If you have an interesting app with plenty of quality ec's and a solid MCAT, shortcomings such as a few Bs can be overlooked.

Let me tell you all a story...

I interviewed at a school not long ago, and I thought it went really well. I really hit it off with the interviewers. One of them was a triathlete, and the other was a UT grad! Just my luck! So we talked about racing, and Vince Young, and all kinds of stuff. Then, when we ended the interview, one of them told me "I look forward to continuing this conversation in the fall", and he winked.

I was sure I was in.

Then, a few weeks later, I get the rejection letter in the mail. I was shocked. It said on there to feel free to contact them to "see how to become a more competitive applicant", so I shot them an e-mail asking what the deal was. Here is a copy of their reply...

[SIZE=-1]TexasTriathlete <[email protected]> [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 1:35 PM [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Reply-To: [email protected]

To: Director of Admissions <[email protected]>
[/SIZE] Dear Mr. Triathlete,

Thank you for your interest in our program. At this time, we were unable to offer you admission because of a "Needs Improvement" progress report that you received in the 4th grade. Your teacher said that you were hyperactive, and that you drew Transformers in crayon all over your desk. Despite your many qualifications, this is simply not what we look for in a medical student. Perhaps you should consider a career as a ditch-digger. Best of luck in the future, wherever your path may take you.

Sincerely

Bob Smith, MD/PhD
Director of Admissons

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't believe I'm answering this seriously, but NO! enjoy college! Get off SDN! I've had more Bs than I can count (including Cell Bio, Biochem, Orgo), 1 C+, 1 C, and I'm into 3 schools already. You'll be a million times better off doing lots of ECs that you're passionate about than worrying about a few Bs (or more than a few Bs). Chill.

Thanks and congratulations on your acceptances!

If I see one more thread about getting in with a B I am seriously going to buy a small rabbit and throw it into the bay.

Do you pre meds really want that on your hands?

I'm nervous because I got 2 Ws in prereqs my freshman year at a community college. But I do have a 3.9

hahaa im guessing you were the same way even tho you got a 35 on the mcats....geez...my dream MCAT is at least over 32....

i seriously hate reading ppls awesome applications, but its addictive to see what other ppl do. unfortunately im always more lame than they are hahaha:scared:

careful there...

@ Sir Bucket Head, I'm confused, are you being sarcastic? Its a serious question, I want to know how bad Ws look if the classes are retaken for A's.

Dmission---

I think it's easier in college to do better because there are so many things to help you that your HS may not provide--- tutoring labs, academic success centers, etc.

I had a B-C average in high school and have a 4.0 now in college. It only takes will power.

If I see one more thread about getting in with a B I am seriously going to buy a small rabbit and throw it into the bay.

thats hilarious, makes me think of jack black in Anchorman, "thats how i roll", but seriously, hilarious.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't believe I'm answering this seriously, but NO! enjoy college! Get off SDN! I've had more Bs than I can count (including Cell Bio, Biochem, Orgo), 1 C+, 1 C, and I'm into 3 schools already. You'll be a million times better off doing lots of ECs that you're passionate about than worrying about a few Bs (or more than a few Bs). Chill.

Holy crap, nice job on the application cycle! You rule lol! Envious...but happy for you. gj.

When I was applying to medical school, they searched WAY back into my records. Turns out I had gotten a B+ in Language Arts in 1st grade. Teacher said I were bad at grammar. Extensive tutoring, high-yield grammar flashcards, and a few 1st-grade level Kaplan courses got me out of that rut quickly. A's ever since, and then I added like 50 extracurriculars. When word got out about that infamous "B+" last year, I received immediate rejection from 8 top-tier medical schools, my girlfriend dumped me, my auto insurance rate doubled, and some random guy on the street punched me in the face.

YES, EVERY GRADE DOES MATTER.

When I was applying to medical school, they searched WAY back into my records. Turns out I had gotten a B+ in Language Arts in 1st grade. Teacher said I were bad at grammar. Extensive tutoring, high-yield grammar flashcards, and a few 1st-grade level Kaplan courses got me out of that rut quickly. A's ever since, and then I added like 50 extracurriculars. When word got out about that infamous "B+" last year, I received immediate rejection from 8 top-tier medical schools, my girlfriend dumped me, my auto insurance rate doubled, and some random guy on the street punched me in the face.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :thumbup:

I hope you didn't waste money on phonics QBank!

BRILLIANT!

Side note: I will be drinking my weight in Guinness tonight.

hahaa im guessing you were the same way even tho you got a 35 on the mcats....geez...my dream MCAT is at least over 32....

Yeah, but I thankfully did not discover SDN until after I had submitted everything. If I had been on here since high school, I don't know if I could have survived my college career (Probably mostly just because it's so addicting, but also it just makes me so nervous)

And by the way, I still am just a ball of neurosis and insecurity, and will continue to be until I (hopefully) get a UC interview... which I don't think will happen.

nope you are done, give it up now

Thanks,
Dmission

1) Yes, medical schools accept people that get a B in Biology or Chemistry.
2) Getting a B pretty much doesn't rule anything out.
Relax.

Not most of the ones I've met. I think they're robots, and not the cool kind.

Kind of like Robin Williams from Bicentennial Man. Frankly, I would much rather be like the Terminator or half-man/half-robot like Will Smith from I, Robot.

OP, a couple of B's aren't going to hurt you. Just make sure you have an upward trend or a relatively competitive GPA, along with a good MCAT score and meaningful EC's.

mvenus929 - Do you mean a B in everything as in Bs in Chem and Bio, or straight Bs everywhere? I'll try for no C's, though :p

Both... a 3.0 either overall or in your BCPM classes will put you in a strain to get into medical school. It's not impossible, it's just difficult with that record.

Thanks Dendrite and mvenus929 -- looks like I'll have to start studying harder in Biology and Chemistry, then. :p