Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peerless218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just have a question as for how grades go and hopfully some of you will know the answer to.

For me ,my ADDSAS GPA is a lot lower than my university's GPA. On ADDSAS I have a 3.3 overall and a 3.17 science where as my University's GPA is a 3.46 and a 3.41 science. The reason being that I did repeat one class ,1st semester of o-chem, with legit reasons for failing the first time. And I took three science classes at a community college while I was in high school 8 years ago. Got C's on all three classes. Ya...didn't know how it was gonna come back and bite me on the azz 8 years later...I mean how could anyone know @ age 14??

Now my question is, which GPA will the schools look at??? That's just my concern......Any ideas???

Oh....I am also REALLY curious on how ADA scores the DAT. How can my friend with a 19 19 and 18 on his science sections have the same total science score as me when I scored a 22 20 and an 18 on my naturla sciences??? That just doesn't make sense at all......

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
schools will look at both gpa's but most likely AADSAS first.

For the TS scores, 3 sections are not evenly scored. I believe bio portion is worth more than the other two when calculating the TS score. Not sure about in your case though.

I don't think schools look at the GPA your undergrad reports, because schools (other than ones who specifically ask for them, like UDM and Stony Brook) do NOT get your official transcript - they only receive what AADSAS sends them, which obviously has your AADSAS calculated GPA. The reason for this is to standardize GPAs as much as possible, because for example, some schools will count both grades if you retake a course whereas other schools will disregard the first grade, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just have a question as for how grades go and hopfully some of you will know the answer to.

For me ,my ADDSAS GPA is a lot lower than my university's GPA. On ADDSAS I have a 3.3 overall and a 3.17 science where as my University's GPA is a 3.46 and a 3.41 science. The reason being that I did repeat one class ,1st semester of o-chem, with legit reasons for failing the first time. And I took three science classes at a community college while I was in high school 8 years ago. Got C's on all three classes. Ya...didn't know how it was gonna come back and bite me on the azz 8 years later...I mean how could anyone know @ age 14??

Now my question is, which GPA will the schools look at??? That's just my concern......Any ideas???

Oh....I am also REALLY curious on how ADA scores the DAT. How can my friend with a 19 19 and 18 on his science sections have the same total science score as me when I scored a 22 20 and an 18 on my naturla sciences??? That just doesn't make sense at all......

The grades that you got in high school will unfortunately be calculated in your GPA. But aren't they calculated into your overall GPA at your university as well? Isn't there a time limit, like 5 yrs or something? Hopefully the adcoms will look past that. Unfortunately, it puts you in a low bracket of GPAs.

I think that F in Ochem will hinder your chance. If your reason for failing is something extreme, like an extended hospital stay or a death in the family..you could go to the professor or dean and ask for an I in that course. Was the reason for failing something like those cases? That would eliminate your problem.

I was attending orientation for college when I was 15 and they are taking all my grades seriously (3.9GPA from then). I believe it comments on my maturity.

oh no...they're not calculated into my GPA. Because they don't even qualify to be PART of my school's curriculum cause they're soooo easy. They're like lower than the 100 level classes. I just didn't know how to study for science classes back then...so ya

Unfortunately, AADSAS does not honor repeated courses as complete replacements. They get averaged. That can drastically drop your GPA a bit since a full replacement of an A gives you a 4.0 while averaging an A with an F gives you a 2.0. Sorry pal, but they're going to look at your OVERALL GPA. Your best bet is to explain some circumstances in your personal statement.

Unfortunately, AADSAS does not honor repeated courses as complete replacements. They get averaged. That can drastically drop your GPA a bit since a full replacement of an A gives you a 4.0 while averaging an A with an F gives you a 2.0. Sorry pal, but they're going to look at your OVERALL GPA. Your best bet is to explain some circumstances in your personal statement.

Nah....it's not an average on ADDSAS, I calculated my grades before. It counts as a CLASS. So it pretty much is like how I got 1 F and 1 A. That = 2 C's. I would really perfer your method for AADSAS though, take the average at least.

Ya that one F did some HEAVY DUTY damage to my GPAs across the board. Can't really blame it, I got some kind of respitory infection the day before one of my O chem exam. I was sick with a on and off on and off fever for 2 weeks and my professor just had to put his iron foot down and said " I am so sorry David but I only allow students to have 1 week to make up the exam under no circumstances." WHAT THE HECK MAN!!! HOW COLD BLOODED CAN A PERSON BE!!! He gave me a fat ZERO on my 3rd exam. Oh well...he did write me a letter of rec so I guess that evens out...

From what I understand from my own observation of my own score (which is not necessarily right), the AA is rounded up, and the TS is rounded down. I got a 20.5 AA which got rounded up to 21, and a 20.9 TS that got rounded down to 20 TS (24, 20, 19, with Bio counting for 40%, GC 30% and OC 30%).

From what I understand from my own observation of my own score (which is not necessarily right), the AA is rounded up, and the TS is rounded down. I got a 20.5 AA which got rounded up to 21, and a 20.9 TS that got rounded down to 20 TS (24, 20, 19, with Bio counting for 40%, GC 30% and OC 30%).
The TS is not an average of your individual science scores. It a score for the whole natural sciences section. They look at how many questions you missed for all of the sections and give you a standardized score, just as if it was its own section. The scoring methods are all described on the ADA DAT registration page.

I heard that they combine both Community College GPA and 4-yr institution GPA so that must be why it's lower than 4 yr institution GPA alone.

also, I don't think retaking O-CHEM matters as long as u took it 2nd time and did well. I think that will erase the 1st grade.

AADSAS has a point system that is probably different from your college. This is a common question during application cycles. People have good gpa's at their college but when everything is on AADSAS it's lower. It's the one way they can make EVERY COLLEGE fair for grades. Just sucks when you had to work your tail off to get a B and Joe The Plumber got an A in his cake walk chem course at a smaller, less difficult college. Sucks but it's how life is.

AADSAS has a point system that is probably different from your college. This is a common question during application cycles. People have good gpa's at their college but when everything is on AADSAS it's lower. It's the one way they can make EVERY COLLEGE fair for grades. Just sucks when you had to work your tail off to get a B and Joe The Plumber got an A in his cake walk chem course at a smaller, less difficult college. Sucks but it's how life is.

Hahahha so true. :rolleyes:

Totally agree, my school has a TERRIBLE physics program when I took my physics. Worked my butt off for a B where as some of my friends just took it at a community college and aced it with minimum effort.

Maybe they look at community colleges different from universities. They might see some people took it there thinking it would be easier. The people who conduct interviews and look at application packets have kids too. Some might be preparing for college so parents know the cost of education and might be able to relate to someone who did two years at a CC then transfered.

OR maybe they don't care and just look at the letter and see the name of the college. From that they assume you're smarter and better off becuase you got a 3.5 from Yale, Harvard, UNC, USC and I'm an idiot who got a 3.85 from Nevada.