1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Grading System

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Doogie Howser, May 16, 2007.

1. Doogie Howser

Doogie Howser practicing since age 12
    5+ Year Member

My school uses a grading system like this
    A - 4
    B+ - 3.5
    B - 3
    C+ - 2.5
    C - 2

There are no minuses... aadsas counts a B+ as a 3.333, so should I enter B+'s in my transcript in the aadsas grade pulldown as an AB?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

nevermind, aadsas just fcuks your gpa if your school uses this system... good to know

why do they give you an option of entering a different grade if they just override it anyway

4. phungy

phungy Account Terminated
    10+ Year Member

For a B+, did you enter it as AB? That's what I did since both were equivalent to 3.5 ...

5. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

no, because it says enter the grade EXACTLY as it appears on your transcript. then when you try to enter the aadsas equivalent of an AB, it automatically switches it to an B+

6. phungy

phungy Account Terminated
    10+ Year Member

Just checked, you're right. I guess the AADSAS grading will hurt my GPA cause UF has the exact same GPA scale/grading system. :(

7. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

is no one else getting hurt like this? i've tried emailing them, but they've now completely avoided my question twice.

8. blasterx

2+ Year Member

Getting hurt by this? Give me a break. Now we're on an even playing field. I'd have like a 3.8 if I had the grading scale your school uses.

9. Mia305

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I go to UF also, and I believe my GPA will only go down by about 0.03 based on the AADSAS equivalents, which is basically nothing...the only difference is that a B+ is a 3.33 instead of the 3.5 that UF has, and that really doesn't change anything significantly

10. issa

issa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

if your transcript says 3.5 then u should put AB
    if your transcript says B+ then u should put B+
    B+ doesn't equal AB

11. apaul

apaul Some Dude
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    my gpa went down a smidge b/c my school has different values for +/-'s but you just have to live with it

12. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

we'd be on an even playing field if they just eliminated all plus's and minuses... but its not even if you have an A- and i don't.

A- 4
    B+ - 3.33 - my school
    B - 3

A - 4
    A- - 3.67
    B+ - 3.33 - yours
    B - 3

I have no way of getting that 3.67... says who some of my B+'s wouldn't be A-'s where you are. There is no way to compare grades when the systems are that different. A more accurate comparison would be able to be performed if my B+ is a 3.5 (like what Rutgers does) which the aadsas equivalent would then be an AB (also a 3.5)

13. blasterx

2+ Year Member

At my school, a 90 = A-. At your school you don't even have an A-, therefore a 90 = A. At your school a B+ = 3.5. At my school a B+ = 3.33. That's advantage number 2. I don't understand what the problem is. Even if they do change your B+'s to 3.33's, you still don't have any A-'s!

Edit: And yes, I agree, we'd all be even without +/-. I believe AADSAS calculates that GPA.

Edit 2: Ok, I was making the assumption that a 90 = A at your school. Is that correct?

14. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

B+ encompasses all that would be an A- as well. it is truly treated as an AB.

as I said before, says who some of my B+'s wouldn't be A-'s at your school since the B+ is treated as an AB

15. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Who Cares!

you will always get screwed one way or another in life, get use to it. stop whining about it. Just be glad you believe you have what it takes to apply to dental school. a lot of people dropped out prior to this point. the schools get a copy of your transcripts, so they will see what UF does.

16. Jaba

Jaba S.mutans
    5+ Year Member

I have an odd situation:

I have % grades and letter grade on the transcript. However, the letter grades are only A,B,C,D, F etc. No + or -.

If there is a B on my transcript this covers 70%-->78%. How should I enter my marks? Can I only put the A,B,C or D's ?

thanks
    Jaba