Grading System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some schools have traditional grading systems like A 90-100, B 80-89, C 70-79, etc.. and it fluctuates depending on the curve. My school gives A, A-, B+, B-, etc. now each letter grade has a separate value, A=4.0, A=3.7, B+3.3, etc. now i was wondering students that get A-'s get hurt when compared to students at schools that just have A's. Your gpa is lower because you only get a 3.7 and not a 4.0. A 91 at one school is a A (4.0) while at my school (this is hypothetical) that would be a A-(3.7). Now im wondering do adcoms know that there is a descrepancy in gpa's in that sense or are people at schools that have a +/- system screwed? I understand that also helps when it comes to a B+ since you get a 3.3 and not a 3.0. If anyone knows anything about this i would appreciate it.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My school had the same thing until some students pointed out that it was unfair.

We eventually went on an A+ (4.33) system where one can not earn above a 4.0 cum.

so no one has any knowledge or comments about this subject besides one person.