Grads not matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok how common is it?

Members don't see this ad.

as of now, it looks like about 50% of Carib MD grads don't match. This percentage is higher if you graduate from a school that is not approved in all 50 states aka the Big 4 and AUA. You have a higher than 50% chance of matching if you graduate from a Big 4 school. However with the upcoming residency crunch, many people are expecting the percentage of Carib grads not matching to sharply increase.

Ok can someone who is in the know (not a premed) provide some insight

Members don't see this ad :)
@Telekinesis... Are thinking about going to the caribbean? Try US MD/DO first... @Mr.Happy gave you the answer and if you look at the match last year, you will see what s/he said is correct... However, my guesstimate match rate for the big 4 might be in the 80%.

Last edited:
On a more serious note, it's hard to receive objective advice on this matter. Most people have strong biases on this issue, even if they claim they don't. You will have people on both sides of the spectrum. You have people who lump all offshore medical schools as horrible and don't bother to differentiate between the schools. You also have people who think Caribbean MD schools are great because they allow you to take the USMLE and participate in the NRMP, they don't care if the school is great or not, they expect to do their own studying.

The truth is that even the best Caribbean schools are not good options. The schools over there are obsessed about profit and don't care about your dreams. That's why even the Big 4 schools enroll several hundred students, many with sub-par stats, knowing that those students will drop out before the clinical rotations. The schools want the money.

On the other hand, the Carib schools do offer a third chance, if you will, to desperate pre-meds who have no other option. If you are very hard working and motivated and know the reality about the numbers, you can benefit by attending a Carib MD school.

Reactions: 2 users
AUC's first-time match rate usually hovers in the low 80s% year-to-year. In 2013, 82.3% of first-time eligible AUC graduates matched while 17.7% did not match. On top of this, half of those who do not match usually match the following year. I would imagine these statistics to be similar among the other Big Four schools. The best way to find out about match rates is to directly ask the school. I would stay away from schools that do not disclose this type of information or that do not publish a match list on their website.

Yea I was looking at info for the Big 4 specifically AUC. But thanks for the info guys.

Ok can someone who is in the know (not a premed) provide some insight
SenorChangDismissiveWank-1.gif

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Page 22 of the document (28 of the PDF due to unnumbered copyright and contents pages) has your answer. It shows the number of students matched and unmatched by country. Those are facts, not conjecture. Enjoy.

It depends on the school. SGU, Ross, AUC have much better match percentages than the other schools. These are well known and PDs usually know residents who went to these schools. Go somewhere like Trinity that is very new, and likely not even to get an interview. Yes, the match rate for IMG/FMG is roughly 50% but this includes applicants from all over the world. No one can really predict exactly how the match will be in 4 years. 4 years ago I remember hearing that in 4 years the sgu match rate is going to drop to <50%. did not happen, but that does not mean it won't in the next 4 years.

My only question is is that if matching is that common why aren't there droves of grads on here complaining?

SenorChangDismissiveWank-1.gif

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Page 22 of the document (28 of the PDF due to unnumbered copyright and contents pages) has your answer. It shows the number of students matched and unmatched by country. Those are facts, not conjecture. Enjoy.

Important to note: these match rate statistics take into account total number of applicants, including those unmatched applicants who apply over and over again each year without success, rather than just first-time eligible applicants who are applying for the match for the first time, which would be a more accurate gauge as to what percentage of an entering class who make it through would match.

Important to note: these match rate statistics take into account total number of applicants, including those unmatched applicants who apply over and over again each year without success, rather than just first-time eligible applicants who are applying for the match for the first time, which would be a more accurate gauge as to what percentage of an entering class who make it through would match.
True. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2019 and later matches are not the same as the 2013 match. It probably won't look better though, for anyone involved in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question: how do I see number of spots unfilled?

@Telekinesis if you've done the "research" and found that most Carib grads match, then why did you start this thread? If you want everyone here to tell you that the Carib option is great and that you will be fine then tough luck buddy. Either face reality or face the consequences of believing in a fool's dream. I have borderline stats for US MD schools and I know I will be accepted to the best Carib schools according to the advice of posters in SDN. I feel tempted to just be accepted somewhere too but we both need to fight the temptation.

@Telekinesis if you've done the "research" and found that most Carib grads match, then why did you start this thread? If you want everyone here to tell you that the Carib option is great and that you will be fine then tough luck buddy. Either face reality or face the consequences of believing in a fool's dream. I have borderline stats for US MD schools and I know I will be accepted to the best Carib schools according to the advice of posters in SDN. I feel tempted to just be accepted somewhere too but we both need to fight the temptation.

If you have borderline MD stats, why would you apply Carib over US DO?

If you have borderline MD stats, why would you apply Carib over US DO?

Always have a back-up plan. This is a back-up plan. Hopefully one that is not needed. That's called smart.

-Skip