Graduate Assistantship Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Westward Lord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to the normal graduate school application, some of my schools require a short personal statement for why I wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship.

Does anyone have experience with this? I feel that when I end up doing this, it will sound a lot like my personal statement. They haven't told me exactly what they're looking for, so I'm not sure what to aim for in the text.

Members don't see this ad.

this reply is a little late and im sorry that i cant really give you an answer. the program i attended did award some assistantship which was based on merit (some set GPA and GRE score i believe) and your financial needs. the best thing i can recommend is to contact the school and get a clear idea of what they are looking for. it may end up being a sort of summary of your personal statement because it's a different body, i.e. not the acceptance committee, that awards extra funding so they need some other pieces of information sent specifically to them.