Graduate debt in Psychology (again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The rbans as a full neuropsych isn’t useful. But, the individual tests are pretty conventional. List learning, free recall and recognition, naming, digit symbol coding, story memory, complex figure, semantic fluency, jolo. In conjunction with other tests it can give you convergent validity. It’s fast.
Yeh, they seem to work for assessing memory concerns as individual scales (cause the scales aren't doing any novel tasks that aren't replicated on other memory/IQ measures). My issue is that they don't describe the five domains the RBANS in as a specific manner as they claim and so its likely that people are often claiming they do things that they don't do, like treating List learning and List recall as actually doing something different when evidence doesn't support it does). It looks much more like its only 2 factors assessing Language/verbal memory and visuospaial memory that we should interpret (e.g., Carlozzi et al., 2008; Garcia et al., 2008; McKay et al., 2007; Schmitt et al., 2010; Wilde et al., 2006). It's not exactly new "news" either. I don't recall finding a single supporting article for it's factor structure last year when I was digging around out of idle boredom, regardless of if analysis was based on patients with AD, general memory complaints, etc. Sort of like I have concern that the WAIS hadn't had anything done to verify its interpretive structure with those with ID, given its role in making those determinations.

It's likely a moot argument to many clinicians and (certainly) to insurance providers. If we can show tests have a clinically useful and specific predictive capacity (or our services in general) then thats what they want/need to see. It seems like we can demand more of tests and use what we know to predict things with strong, consistent, structures. If we can't (or choose not to do so steadily) then that's a problem.

Oh empirical based assessment...
 
If these are mostly moderate-ish people, will they train you on and give you a copy of the DRS-2? I'd rather have that and some info on I/ADLs than an RBANS.


I am trained on the DRS-2 though it has been a while. Getting them to give me a copy of anything is another story. It will. To echo the greater convo, it will likely be dictated by budgets rather than what the research says is most clinically informative. However, it will give me something to advocate for down the line. At the moment, there are larger departmental issues than testing materials.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a fine line between science and giving the customer what they want. Especially if they are paying cash for it.

Hey, man, don't knock my energy healing telemedicine business. That's anti-free market. Let the consumer choose! Teach the controversy!
 
Hey, man, don't knock my energy healing telemedicine business. That's anti-free market. Let the consumer choose! Teach the controversy!

That’s actually a thing called “medical intuitives”.

They literally charge people per hour to “energy heal” remotely. No need to actually go to work. Or talk to people.

Learned that on vacation, when I saw a shingle with that term. Begged my friend to let me go to a walk in appointment.
 
I am trained on the DRS-2 though it has been a while. Getting them to give me a copy of anything is another story. It will. To echo the greater convo, it will likely be dictated by budgets rather than what the research says is most clinically informative. However, it will give me something to advocate for down the line. At the moment, there are larger departmental issues than testing materials.

DRS-2 is a solid rec. CERAD is older, but another option. And besides the MoCA, there's also the 3MS. Or you could get all fancy and request the NIH Toolbox (I kid). I've not looked into it much myself, but I wonder if the NAB screening module might not be an option.
 
DRS-2 is a solid rec. CERAD is older, but another option. And besides the MoCA, there's also the 3MS. Or you could get all fancy and request the NIH Toolbox (I kid). I've not looked into it much myself, but I wonder if the NAB screening module might not be an option.

Easy there moneybags! That NAB screening module is almost a grand. 🙂 Although the DRS-2 is about $400. Neither is cheap. And, unfortunately, the VA won't let you purchase cheaper used versions from other npsychs.
 
There is a fine line between science and giving the customer what they want. Especially if they are paying cash for it.
Someone I knew in high school is booking up fast with appointments where she does an intuitive energy reading incorporating sounds, wherein she channels sounds and makes them in accordance with the energy she is getting.
 
Easy there moneybags! That NAB screening module is almost a grand. 🙂 Although the DRS-2 is about $400. Neither is cheap. And, unfortunately, the VA won't let you purchase cheaper used versions from other npsychs.

Hot damn, we already had it here (haven't used it); didn't realize it was that much just for screening.
 
Hot damn, we already had it here (haven't used it); didn't realize it was that much just for screening.

Yeah, the pricing is all sort of f'd up on that one. Altogether it's like 2k. a ridiculous price for a screener considering we have much better options for screening that are faster, and free. Heck, even wanted a more comp screener, the RBANS is only $350.
 
Someone I knew in high school is booking up fast with appointments where she does an intuitive energy reading incorporating sounds, wherein she channels sounds and makes them in accordance with the energy she is getting.

What a marketplace of garbage we have. I guess the products change, but the game remains the same.

Question: does she personally make the sounds?
 
What a marketplace of garbage we have. I guess the products change, but the game remains the same.

Question: does she personally make the sounds?
ha ha ha yes she does. I should book an appointment for the pure comedy of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad