Graduate degree that complements radiology?

Started by hoyle12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hoyle12

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm a radiology resident and am interested in pursuing a graduate degree. I'm debating between MBA vs MSc Clin Epi vs. M.Education. At the moment i'm leaning towards MBA>MSc>M.Ed mainly because I think the MBA is a better value and is more practical professionally+ personally. However, I wanted to get your thoughts on this and whether I should reconsider. Comments are greatly appreciated!
 
You are right...

MBA >>>>> M.ed = M.Sc. clin epi

The latter two could only potentially have some restricted use in an academic faculty position.
 
Hi,

I'm a radiology resident and am interested in pursuing a graduate degree. I'm debating between MBA vs MSc Clin Epi vs. M.Education. At the moment i'm leaning towards MBA>MSc>M.Ed mainly because I think the MBA is a better value and is more practical professionally+ personally. However, I wanted to get your thoughts on this and whether I should reconsider. Comments are greatly appreciated!
Out of curiosity, when would you do the MBA? Part-time during residency? Full-time after fellowship? Nights and weekends during your first attending job?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are your goals? You wouldn't come on here asking, "Should I learn Chinese, Spanish, or French?" without saying where you wanted to travel. Do you want to go to Beijing?

With that in mind, you should only pursue something like this if it is going to help you achieve some lifelong goal, or otherwise the effort is not worth it. In fact, it's hard for me to think of many scenarios where one of these degrees is useful at all. Perhaps only the MBA and only if you are really interested in the business side of medicine.

In almost every scenario, it would be better for you to spend more time in your residency learning to be a better radiologist. That will get you further than having some useless letters after your name.
 
Thanks for the replies. The main purpose is for personal growth/interest as I feel I am lacking business/research/teaching skills.

The second reason is to keep my doors open in the future either in academic or private. I know that in business where you get your MBA makes a difference, but does that hold true in medicine?
 
Thanks for the replies. The main purpose is for personal growth/interest as I feel I am lacking business/research/teaching skills.

The second reason is to keep my doors open in the future either in academic or private. I know that in business where you get your MBA makes a difference, but does that hold true in medicine?

If you want to work in the business side of radiology yes.

Look at the chairmen of radiology at big departments. Most of them have background in other fields esp MBA.