Graduate degree weight now that STEP and COMLEX 1 are P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jambandman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the new P/F scoring in place I was wondering how you all think the weight of graduate degrees may change in the eyes of residency PDs. For example, a person is shooting for;

IM and has a MPH/Nutrition/etc
Ortho and has exercise science/kinesiology/etc
Rads and has Physics/computer degree (idk lol)
Neurology and has Neuroscience/etc

I am assuming the weights for these different things may fall in line something like this possibly?

Board scores>>>>Class rank/grades>Research>>>Home institution pedigree>> Relevant graduate degrees>Clubs/volunteering

Do you all think these graduate degrees may prove to be advantageous for those shooting for more competitive residencies? Let me know what you all think!

This is my first independent thread post so take it easy on me lol. Also, this site is wonderful thank you for all that you do @admins

Members don't see this ad.

Can't see grad degrees mattering at all unless you were in a high output lab and able to write a lot of research for your CV before med school. Kind of envy my classmates who came in with PhD's and multiple basic science pubs already. Also, class rank and grades will stay low. If you're not in the top 10% it won't mean anything probs. Just dont be in the bottom. The ways schools evaluate students is wildly variable.
I think it will probably be more like Home institution >>> Board scores >> Research > letters > clinical grades > preclinical, rank. Don't know where ECs will fall. It's just interview fodder to have something to talk about usually.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't see grad degrees mattering at all unless you were in a high output lab and able to write a lot of research for your CV before med school. Kind of envy my classmates who came in with PhD's and multiple basic science pubs already. Also, class rank and grades will stay low. If you're not in the top 10% it won't mean anything probs. Just dont be in the bottom. The ways schools evaluate students is wildly variable.
I think it will probably be more like Home institution >>> Board scores >> Research > letters > clinical grades > preclinical, rank. Don't know where ECs will fall. It's just interview fodder to have something to talk about usually.
Home institution won't be that much higher than board scores or research and letters, letters and board scores then research and then home institution pedigree...

Reactions: 1 users