Graduate program ends 2008--will DO schools not accept me ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuttinEmUp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be starting a masters program as a contingency plan (back up) if i didnt get into med school which will finish in 2008. I am deathly afraid now that by putting that on my AACOMAS app. I screwed myself because schools wont accept me until i finish?

How can i let them know that I intend on pulling out of the masters program pending a DO acceptance? Am i screwed? PLEASE if you have any info..post it!

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact the schools you are interested in to find out what their policy is. I know some schools will not accept students who have not completed the programs they are currently in.

CuttinEmUp said:
I am going to be starting a masters program as a contingency plan (back up) if i didnt get into med school which will finish in 2008. I am deathly afraid now that by putting that on my AACOMAS app. I screwed myself because schools wont accept me until i finish?

How can i let them know that I intend on pulling out of the masters program pending a DO acceptance? Am i screwed? PLEASE if you have any info..post it!

bump

I'd like to hear about this too if anyone has any info.

Members don't see this ad :)
vt hokie said:
I would contact the schools you are interested in to find out what their policy is. I know some schools will not accept students who have not completed the programs they are currently in.

Thats crap. The only exception should be if you havent finished your BS, they don't let you in.

Why should you get penalized for having/attempting extra education. Even if you don't finish the degree, you still have gotten a greater chance to learn.

CuttinEmUp said:

I wouldn't worry about it, i know lots of people in the same position as you who are applying to med school and they are in the middle of master's/phD programs. As long as your current program does not require you to complete your degree and you can leave any time, schools shouldn't reject you based on that alone. In fact, i asked an admissions counselor at CCOM that same question b/c i was considering a master's program also and they told me that you can leave your master's program early and start med school if you get in. based my conversation with her, i'd say they have lots of students who choose that route. Good luck! :)

cbenedic said:
I wouldn't worry about it, i know lots of people in the same position as you who are applying to med school and they are in the middle of master's/phD programs. As long as your current program does not require you to complete your degree and you can leave any time, schools shouldn't reject you based on that alone. In fact, i asked an admissions counselor at CCOM that same question b/c i was considering a master's program also and they told me that you can leave your master's program early and start med school if you get in. based my conversation with her, i'd say they have lots of students who choose that route. Good luck! :)

talk about a sigh of relief! thank you so much cbenedic for chiming in! Thanks for backing up your thoughts with factual info...that seriously makes me feel better! :thumbup:

Buckeye(OH) said:
Thats crap. The only exception should be if you havent finished your BS, they don't let you in.

Why should you get penalized for having/attempting extra education. Even if you don't finish the degree, you still have gotten a greater chance to learn.

I'm sure it's one of two things

1) They want you to finish what you started, showing responsibility for your commitments;

and/or

2) They want to include you in their numbers of applicants who have graduate degrees (to show off their incoming class)