1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Graduate program ends 2008--will DO schools not accept me ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by CuttinEmUp, Aug 2, 2006.

1. CuttinEmUp

CuttinEmUp Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am going to be starting a masters program as a contingency plan (back up) if i didnt get into med school which will finish in 2008. I am deathly afraid now that by putting that on my AACOMAS app. I screwed myself because schools wont accept me until i finish?

How can i let them know that I intend on pulling out of the masters program pending a DO acceptance? Am i screwed? PLEASE if you have any info..post it!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vt hokie

vt hokie Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would contact the schools you are interested in to find out what their policy is. I know some schools will not accept students who have not completed the programs they are currently in.

4. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    bump

I'd like to hear about this too if anyone has any info.

5. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Thats crap. The only exception should be if you havent finished your BS, they don't let you in.

Why should you get penalized for having/attempting extra education. Even if you don't finish the degree, you still have gotten a greater chance to learn.

6. cbenedic

cbenedic Wolverine for life
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I wouldn't worry about it, i know lots of people in the same position as you who are applying to med school and they are in the middle of master's/phD programs. As long as your current program does not require you to complete your degree and you can leave any time, schools shouldn't reject you based on that alone. In fact, i asked an admissions counselor at CCOM that same question b/c i was considering a master's program also and they told me that you can leave your master's program early and start med school if you get in. based my conversation with her, i'd say they have lots of students who choose that route. Good luck! :)

7. CuttinEmUp

CuttinEmUp Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

talk about a sigh of relief! thank you so much cbenedic for chiming in! Thanks for backing up your thoughts with factual info...that seriously makes me feel better! :thumbup:

8. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I'm sure it's one of two things

1) They want you to finish what you started, showing responsibility for your commitments;

and/or

2) They want to include you in their numbers of applicants who have graduate degrees (to show off their incoming class)