Graduate School Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peacegirl95

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating in May 2011 and applying for graduate school in the fall. I'm really concerned about the GRE, because I don't think my scores are going to be any good. I have a good GPA, letters of reference, and I'm starting a research project in the fall. I was wondering if graduate schools look at more than just GRE scores or if GRE scores are the main deciding factor? Thanks for any help!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I will be graduating in May 2011 and applying for graduate school in the fall. I'm really concerned about the GRE, because I don't think my scores are going to be any good. I have a good GPA, letters of reference, and I'm starting a research project in the fall. I was wondering if graduate schools look at more than just GRE scores or if GRE scores are the main deciding factor? Thanks for any help!:)

It depends on the school, but they are an important factor. I recommend taking a few months to study for the GRE in small increments instead of cramming for it for a week before you take it.

Get more than one prep book with practice tests in it (they can be 5 years old, the questions will still be relevant), and refresh your geometry and algebra concepts (there was a lot of geometry from what I remember), get a vocabulary builder and study it. Also, on www.ets.org/gre, you can find the scoring rubric for the essay and a list of all the essay topics. Take a look at it. It might help you out.

PS. If you don't THINK they're going to be good, chances are it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Many other students with whom I've talked on this subject are not particularly proud of their GRE scores, and some people say they did really bad. So it won't necessarily prevent you from getting accepted somewhere (i mean if everything else is good and you don't score in the bottom five percentile or something), but I think GRE can make a big difference when it comes to funding. With a higher GRE you set yourself apart and are more likely to get funding if any is available.

I remember for the SAT I showed up with a hangover and without studying an hour. I wouldn't treat the GRE the same way, although many people do. A bit of studying can really help. I studied for like a month using a review book and did fairly well. Practice tests are really good too.