Graduating at 30...It bothers me..

Started by iknow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iknow

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started school 7 years ago and I'm finally graduating next year. I wasted so much time not knowing what I was doing when I was younger...I was wondering if anyone else out there feels the same way..does it even matter after you graduate? I just feel that at my age I should have a stable job/life and not be a poor student living off of student loans.
 
Last edited:
I started school 7 years ago and I'll finally be graduating next year. I wasted so much time not knowing what I was doing when I was younger...I was wondering if anyone else out there feels the same way..does it even matter after you graduate? I just feel that at my age I should have a stable job/life and not be a poor student living off of student loans.

Hey, I'll be 30 this fall at the beginning of my P2 year. I definitely know what you mean. I'm married and should be able to support my wife but I too am living off of student loans. It took me a while to figure my path out as well but hey, I have barely any student loans and the military pays for a big chunk of my tuition. I also know had I tried this path before, I was definitely not prepared.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Average age of my P1 class is 24-25. By the time we graduate, we'll be 28-29..At 30, I'll say you are right on track...Its only the 0-6 programs where you graduate at 23-24..
 
personally my "life target" goal was to start making $$$ by age 30. At the time, I was counting on med school (4bs + 4md + 2res) and i'd be out by 28.

sidetracked a bit but i'm gonna finish my psychological goal. granted, if i were really delayed and had to graduate at 31-32...i'd rejustify it and say i'm glad i'm done by 35.
 
Did you have fun? Have experiences? Make memories? I don't think I'll look back when I'm 75 and wish I had worked more. I finished residency at 28, married at 30, no regrets. Life isn't a race.
 
I graduated pharmacy school when I was 27...I also did not know what I wanted to do when I was younger, but i am doing ok for myself...Keep the faith...You will be fine
 
Average age of my P1 class is 24-25. By the time we graduate, we'll be 28-29..At 30, I'll say you are right on track...Its only the 0-6 programs where you graduate at 23-24..

Or the average age at my school during our P1 year..22...we will graduate on average when we are 26. But there are PLENTY of people here, myself included, who will graduate at 23 or 24. We are an established 2+4 school...so that blows your theory out of the water.

Besides, what we feel like should be and what is, those can be two very different realities for any of us.
 
Or the average age at my school during our P1 year..22...we will graduate on average when we are 26. But there are PLENTY of people here, myself included, who will graduate at 23 or 24. We are an established 2+4 school...so that blows your theory out of the water.

Besides, what we feel like should be and what is, those can be two very different realities for any of us.

A 2+4 school is the same as a 0-6 school...I'm not sure what theory you are referring to..

I agree with the above posts..Its more about the journey, not so much about the destination..
 
I lamented a little bit when I turned 30. But I'm over it now...what the heck...You are 30?...That's my definition of prime age!

I would worry if you are over 45 and just graduating. Nothing wrong with it, but you have try a lot harder to save a good nest egg for retirement.
 
I started school 7 years ago and I'm finally graduating next year. I wasted so much time not knowing what I was doing when I was younger...I was wondering if anyone else out there feels the same way..does it even matter after you graduate? I just feel that at my age I should have a stable job/life and not be a poor student living off of student loans.

I graduated when i was 31. And if I was one of the oldest students in my class, it feels really good to be one of the youngest pharmacists in my department again.🙂
 
A 2+4 school is the same as a 0-6 school...I'm not sure what theory you are referring to..

I agree with the above posts..Its more about the journey, not so much about the destination..

2+4 you can take undergrad anywhere before coming to pharmacy school. Those two years can take up to five for some people.

An 0+6 is a school that you spend all six years at the same school, where once you are in to the program you do not have to apply for pharm school. Pretty rare now. 👍
 
I will be 30 when I graduate.

I personally feel like I havent wasted any time. I have build a strong work ethic and made positive connections that can only get better as I go through school. I think Im better off than being young with a PharmD and no work experience.

Sucks to hold off on the kids and house, but an extra couple years isnt going to kill me.
 
what sucks is your friends who graduated at 22 and got jobs right away and moved up in the company are now socking away money, buying houses, upgrading their cars, and generally grew up...

...while those who took 2yrs and then entered pharm school are still wearing college hoodies, delving deeper into negative net worth territory, and eating ramen more than you should....at age 27.

kind of sucks when you hang out all together...luckily they humor me and tell me i'm going to make big bucks when i graduate and sometimes pick up the tab when fin-aid funds are running low.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what sucks is your friends who graduated at 22 and got jobs right away and moved up in the company are now socking away money, buying houses, upgrading their cars, and generally grew up...

...while those who took 2yrs and then entered pharm school are still wearing college hoodies, delving deeper into negative net worth territory, and eating ramen more than you should....at age 27.

kind of sucks when you hang out all together...luckily they humor me and tell me i'm going to make big bucks when i graduate and sometimes pick up the tab when fin-aid funds are running low.


You got it easy pal, look at it from my perspective - I'll be 28, kissing on 29 when I graduate - with a nearly impossible to wrap your brain around - 200 k of debt sitting under my belt.

Who is going to want to marry a chick, with that much debt ?

I'm doomed for a lonesome science career, wasting away in a lab like a bad vegetable. :laugh: No kids, no family, only a handsome Pharm.D degree and friendships with my classmates.
 
Who is going to want to marry a chick, with that much debt ?

start a thread, post your picture. i'm serious.

heck, throw in a poll:
"Question: given the photo and stats below, at what amount of debt would you avoid trying to date this person? []$200,000, [] $150,000, []$100,000, [] i'd hit that at any price, [] this poll sucks."
 
Who is going to want to marry a chick, with that much debt ?

for most people:

a) a foreigner who wants US citizenship (odds < 50% you stay together)

b) someone who is beneath the level you envisioned for yourself in terms of education, personality, job outlook, looks combination (odds 50% or so you stay together)

c) someone with low self esteem who is happy to find love and attention, but this is likely related to part (b)

d) a perfect guy who happens to love you for you, and is still single at 30 (good luck sifting until you find him) (guys single at 30 are probably either just divorced, have looks/money and thus many opportunities to sleep with different women and are enjoying life waiting for a superstar to come along to settle down with, or stuck in situation b,c)

e) someone idealistic and impractical

if you are hot and/or have a super personality/porn star in bed, the outlook is much brighter than the above 🙂

who wants a $200,000 headache when there are 1 billion fish in the sea?

sorry to be so blunt
 
Everyone is different. I feel I am going to be old graduating at 26. 😎

You are different if you think 26 is old to get a higher level degree. You can put dr before your name. I personally think you should have to get a bachelors degree first. If you did then you are young.
 
for most people:

a) a foreigner who wants US citizenship (odds < 50% you stay together)

b) someone who is beneath the level you envisioned for yourself in terms of education, personality, job outlook, looks combination (odds 50% or so you stay together)

c) someone with low self esteem who is happy to find love and attention, but this is likely related to part (b)

d) a perfect guy who happens to love you for you, and is still single at 30 (good luck sifting until you find him) (guys single at 30 are probably either just divorced, have looks/money and thus many opportunities to sleep with different women and are enjoying life waiting for a superstar to come along to settle down with, or stuck in situation b,c)

e) someone idealistic and impractical

if you are hot and/or have a super personality/porn star in bed, the outlook is much brighter than the above 🙂

who wants a $200,000 headache when there are 1 billion fish in the sea?

sorry to be so blunt

That is so untrue. Yes she'll have a $200,000 loan but she will also be earning a decent living and will be able to pay off her loans without anyone's help. What are you talking about?
She doesn't have to be a hot/porn star to find a good guy..I hope not all guys are that shallow 😕

I'm also graduating with big loans and this is not an issue for my boyfriend. He is the perfect guy--everything I could ask for...not like any of the guys you described.
 
I graduated at 31, the average age was 30 for my class. I am glad there were a lot of students with real world experiences and previous careers. I think older non traditional students have a lot to offer and tend to be more focused on the education. The younger ones seemed to be interested in partying and had the c = pharmd mentality. If I was an employer who had a choice between an older or younger new grad I would choose the older because they most likely will be more loyal and know what the want. Some of my younger class mates are on their third job in 3 years.

But to the OP you think 30 is to old? I think you just needed your ego self esteem stroked. Your 30 and your going to start making 100k +. Majority of people won't Even be making that much in their 50s.

On a side note I had a customeR say to me the other day "what are pharmacy schools graduatin kids these days?!". Now I look young(prob 22 or less, but I am 34), but he said this in a negative tone. I knew his age and he was actually 35 but lookS in his 40s. So I tell him my age and he just looked dumbfounded and then said "good for you". Anyways I think if we were all 23 yo pharmacists I think the public would not look at that as a positive. They trust older people in general, so looking young is not a good thing in pharmacy.

I wrote this with my iPhone so sorry about any grammer spelling issues.
 
I graduated at 31, the average age was 30 for my class. I am glad there were a lot of students with real world experiences and previous careers. I think older non traditional students have a lot to offer and tend to be more focused on the education. The younger ones seemed to be interested in partying and had the c = pharmd mentality. If I was an employer who had a choice between an older or younger new grad I would choose the older because they most likely will be more loyal and know what the want. Some of my younger class mates are on their third job in 3 years.

But to the OP you think 30 is to old? I think you just needed your ego self esteem stroked. Your 30 and your going to start making 100k +. Majority of people won't Even be making that much in their 50s.

On a side note I had a customeR say to me the other day "what are pharmacy schools graduatin kids these days?!". Now I look young(prob 22 or less, but I am 34), but he said this in a negative tone. I knew his age and he was actually 35 but lookS in his 40s. So I tell him my age and he just looked dumbfounded and then said "good for you". Anyways I think if we were all 23 yo pharmacists I think the public would not look at that as a positive. They trust older people in general, so looking young is not a good thing in pharmacy.

I wrote this with my iPhone so sorry about any grammer spelling issues.

Thanks! That was an awesome response...I didn't really think of that. You're right 30 is not old. I have experiences that will help me be a better pharmacist than a 23 year old--I just have to think about that more often 🙂
 
I am a career changer and am starting Pharmacy school in July at 31. I'll be 34 when I am done. I wish I was going to be 30! 😉
 
I am a career changer and am starting Pharmacy school in July at 31. I'll be 34 when I am done. I wish I was going to be 30! 😉

Changed from stripper to pharmacist?...hahah just making fun of your picture 🙂
There are many young people in pharmacy school but also many people above 30- I was just having a bad day when I posted this,...better to graduate in your 30s than never graduate 😉
 
I started pharmacy school at 19, hopefully graduating at 23. I'm the youngest in our class. On the other end of the spectrum, we have a few people in their 40s in our class, I believe our oldest is 43, so he'll graduate at 47.

If you don't take into consideration the other students in the class, just averaging high and low values gives you 35 as age for graduation. Don't worry about it.
 
I graduated pharmacy school at 31, and now I'm a 32 year old resident. I'm six years older than my Residency Director.

In some ways I think I'm better off than the really young people in pharmacy school. I took a few years to find myself, snagged a great guy and got married, and had tons of life experiences that would probably cost me my license if I did them today 😀

For comparison, another pharmacist I know finished high school early and fast-tracked to a 6-year pharm school. Lived at home, parents paid all the bills (including tuition). No life experience, no ability to handle adversity, doesn't even know what a W-2 tax form is because this is their first job ever.
 
I will turn 30 in April, then begin as a P1 in August! I am in a 3 year program, so I will be 33 when I graduate.
 
I'm 23, P1 at LECOM-Erie and I feel horribly old given the fact I'll be graduating at 25. I almost feel like a sucker for finishing out my bachelor's degree when I could've been in my FINAL year by now and graduating with my PharmD at 23! A lot of people here tell me a bachelor's degree doesn't mean anything once you have a PharmD.

I'd say the average age of a P1 student here is 20 or 21. Most don't have a bachelor's degree cuz they went to this local college (Mercyhurst) that has a "2+3" or "3+3" plan where you complete your pre-reqs in 2-3 years then transfer to LECOM. Hindsight 20/20.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Graduated pharmacy school at 25 then continued on to grad school and worked for many years in Pharmaceutical research. After a huge Pfizer lay off, I decided to complete my 1500 hours internship and take the boards in Cali.
Got my license at 42 and got my first job as a Licensed Pharmacist a year ago as a Pharmacy Director in a hospital.
 
Graduated pharmacy school at 25 then continued on to grad school and worked for many years in Pharmaceutical research. After a huge Pfizer lay off, I decided to complete my 1500 hours internship and take the boards in Cali.
Got my license at 42 and got my first job as a Licensed Pharmacist a year ago as a Pharmacy Director in a hospital.

A hospital hired you to run their pharmacy dept without having any prior experience of working as a pharmacist in a hospital, retail or managed care setting? That just doesn't add up...Is it a small outpatient surgical facility or something?
 
Most of the time people would only care about your debt if you didn't have the means to pay for it yourself, like if you owed 200k and made minimum wage.
 
I graduated at 31, the average age was 30 for my class. I am glad there were a lot of students with real world experiences and previous careers. I think older non traditional students have a lot to offer and tend to be more focused on the education. The younger ones seemed to be interested in partying and had the c = pharmd mentality. If I was an employer who had a choice between an older or younger new grad I would choose the older because they most likely will be more loyal and know what the want. Some of my younger class mates are on their third job in 3 years.
Word. Speaking in generalities of course because there are some great "baby" pharmacists, but if I had to choose between a 23 year-old pharmacist and a 30 year-old for my care, I would choose the older pharmacist. I also noticed a lot of younger people who weren't out partying, in fact they had great book smarts, but lacked common sense and had a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.
 
You got it easy pal, look at it from my perspective - I'll be 28, kissing on 29 when I graduate - with a nearly impossible to wrap your brain around - 200 k of debt sitting under my belt.

Who is going to want to marry a chick, with that much debt ?

I'm doomed for a lonesome science career, wasting away in a lab like a bad vegetable. :laugh: No kids, no family, only a handsome Pharm.D degree and friendships with my classmates.
Just finance it over 30 years. Two mortgages isn't anything new... Haha
 
Just finance it over 30 years. Two mortgages isn't anything new... Haha

The American dream!😉

I can't decide if I want to try and live cheap for 3-4 years and pay off my loans fast or just do the 10-25 year repayment. It is a tough decision for me at least.

Do you have that swing shift job lined up now?
 
The American dream!😉

I can't decide if I want to try and live cheap for 3-4 years and pay off my loans fast or just do the 10-25 year repayment. It is a tough decision for me at least.

Do you have that swing shift job lined up now?
No. Not yet. I have a few ideas up my sleeve, though... 😉

(I have to settle in at my first job, show that I'm efficient and dependable, and then I can start shopping the hospital ads.)
 
The American dream!😉

I can't decide if I want to try and live cheap for 3-4 years and pay off my loans fast or just do the 10-25 year repayment. It is a tough decision for me at least.

Do you have that swing shift job lined up now?

I have lived cheap for almost 30 years...I don't think I can do it for another 3-5 years. I think I'm gonna do the 30 year repayment and invest any extra money so that I can try paying it off in big chunks if my investments pay off. I don't wanna risk dying in 5 years and never seeing the money I worked hard to get 😉
 
Changed from stripper to pharmacist?...hahah just making fun of your picture 🙂
There are many young people in pharmacy school but also many people above 30- I was just having a bad day when I posted this,...better to graduate in your 30s than never graduate 😉

I never got paid for stripping, well not according to Uncle Sam. 😀
 
how long dos it normally take to pay off just pharmacy school debt (obviously a very general answer since all schools cost diff. amounts)
 
how long dos it normally take to pay off just pharmacy school debt (obviously a very general answer since all schools cost diff. amounts)

Many people say they are going to pay off their 100k+ debt in 3 to 5 years. But I don't see that happening, unless you have a spouse that adds a decent income. If you live at home with parents it's possible, but if you have a house and car payment, it not gonna happen that fast, maybe 10 years.
 
You got it easy pal, look at it from my perspective - I'll be 28, kissing on 29 when I graduate - with a nearly impossible to wrap your brain around - 200 k of debt sitting under my belt.

Who is going to want to marry a chick, with that much debt ?

I'm doomed for a lonesome science career, wasting away in a lab like a bad vegetable. :laugh: No kids, no family, only a handsome Pharm.D degree and friendships with my classmates.

Listen very carefully, if somebody wouldn't marry you because of your student loan debt, they aren't worth marrying in the first place. And while looks are important in attraction, they tend to disappear over time. The only thing that a person should want as a partner is a good person and someone who shares common values. There are plenty of guys out there.
Remember if the guy has a brain and can do simple math, you make 100K per year with a net of 70K. If he can support you for 3 years, your student loans will be paid off and the two of you can spend the rest of your life spending the balance.... It's all in how you look at things. Maybe you're not an albatross but an opportunity.... In three years you'll be a rich chick....
 
Many people say they are going to pay off their 100k+ debt in 3 to 5 years. But I don't see that happening, unless you have a spouse that adds a decent income. If you live at home with parents it's possible, but if you have a house and car payment, it not gonna happen that fast, maybe 10 years.

That is the key. Do not go crazy and buy a new 400k house, a new BWM and 60 inch plasma tv's for every room in the house. Live exactly the way you are living now. One person can live quite comfortable on 30k a year. Tens of millions of people do it every year. In fact your pharmacy technicians are living on that much. 100k a year after taxes wil net you 70k. Live on 30k which leaves 40k to go to your loans. Three years and you are free.

As an aside I say if you ended up with 100k plus of debt after pharmacy school you did something wrong.
 
That is the key. Do not go crazy and buy a new 400k house, a new BWM and 60 inch plasma tv's for every room in the house. Live exactly the way you are living now. One person can live quite comfortable on 30k a year. Tens of millions of people do it every year. In fact your pharmacy technicians are living on that much. 100k a year after taxes wil net you 70k. Live on 30k which leaves 40k to go to your loans. Three years and you are free.

As an aside I say if you ended up with 100k plus of debt after pharmacy school you did something wrong.

Finally some awesome words of wisdom i can agree with coming from mountain pharmD !! Except the last part. It's pretty easy to go above 100k in pharm school debt if you have no one helping you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an aside I say if you ended up with 100k plus of debt after pharmacy school you did something wrong.

haha..i say if you end up with LESS than $100k you did something wrong (you went to a private school and failed out after 2yrs). I'll be sitting at $200k when I graduate...not only was I not competitive for in-state (UCSF/UCSD), it wouldn't have mattered as tuition there is comparable to cheaper privates.

Tuition alone (30+30+30+45 estimated for P-4) + living expenses (10k/yr x 4) + baggage from undergrad (~$25k) = ~$200k. What was I suppose to do...not eat? I live in a matchbox of an apartment w/ no car and live pretty modestly.

I've been spreading the gospel of IBR/PSLF for the past few weeks...but we won't know for a few years how it's affecting repayments since i feel like most of us on here are a) still students, b) already paid off their loans, c) borrowed so little that the program doesn't provide benefit.

So I'm basically restricted to gov't work or a 501(c)(3) hospital or else I'll be on the hook for the entire balance. That's my motivation right now...then I'll fall under your "under $100k" rule based on the terms of the program.

Sources if you're curious:
http://www.ibrinfo.org/
http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf
 
I've been spreading the gospel of IBR/PSLF for the past few weeks...but we won't know for a few years how it's affecting repayments since i feel like most of us on here are a) still students, b) already paid off their loans, c) borrowed so little that the program doesn't provide benefit.

So I'm basically restricted to gov't work or a 501(c)(3) hospital or else I'll be on the hook for the entire balance. That's my motivation right now...then I'll fall under your "under $100k" rule based on the terms of the program.

Sources if you're curious:
http://www.ibrinfo.org/
http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf
My eyes glaze over when I read stuff like this. So in order to qualify for PSLF, you can't be on an extended repayment plan? Am I reading that right? I don't think I qualify for IBR. I have never heard of this and I do work for a non-profit.
 
My eyes glaze over when I read stuff like this. So in order to qualify for PSLF, you can't be on an extended repayment plan? Am I reading that right? I don't think I qualify for IBR. I have never heard of this and I do work for a non-profit.

from what i gather, anyone can be on an IBR as long as your loan payment eats up approx. 10% of your salary. I don't know your loan balances/payments but it's worth looking into.

From what I read, your extended plan doesn't qualify... run a scenario where you switch to IBR and see if your payments drastically change. Depending on your loan balance, you might benefit a lot, or you might not. It's kind of perverse in that the more debt you have, the better off you'll be.

It's highly situational and I'd hate for you to move to an IBR plan and then not work for a non-profit later on and NOT like the payment associated with it. It's kind of an "all or nothing" benefit... 10 years/120 payments while working for a 501c3/gov't entity and you're done.

(*note, an act of congress can taketh away this program)