Graduating Early in 3 years instead of 4 and unsure of what I should do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magician7772222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
just finished up 2nd year and realized I’m going to be graduating next spring which would be the end of my 3rd year (started college with AP and DE credits plus took summer classes). For the upcoming year I was planning on taking Physics 2 during fall and Biochem during spring however I just realize that I would also have to take the MCAT during this upcoming year aswell. So im left with two options and im not sure what would be better

Option 1:
I try to self study biochem and study for the mcat during my 3rd and last year then apply at the end of 3rd year and have a gap year during what would have been my senior year while Im waiting for responses from med schools.

Option 2:
I don’t start preparing for the MCAT until after I take biochem, I have a gap year during what would be my senior year and spend that time studying for the MCAT, apply at the end of that year and then have an additional gap year while waiting for replies from medical schools. Im conflicted on what would be a better option. On one hand I’m not sure how good of an idea taking mcat during my 3rd year would be but on the other hand I do not want to have two gap years before even applying my first time. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

just finished up 2nd year and realized I’m going to be graduating next spring which would be the end of my 3rd year (started college with AP and DE credits plus took summer classes). For the upcoming year I was planning on taking Physics 2 during fall and Biochem during spring however I just realize that I would also have to take the MCAT during this upcoming year aswell. So im left with two options and im not sure what would be better

Option 1:
I try to self study biochem and study for the mcat during my 3rd and last year then apply at the end of 3rd year and have a gap year during what would have been my senior year while Im waiting for responses from med schools.

Option 2:
I don’t start preparing for the MCAT until after I take biochem, I have a gap year during what would be my senior year and spend that time studying for the MCAT, apply at the end of that year and then have an additional gap year while waiting for replies from medical schools. Im conflicted on what would be a better option. On one hand I’m not sure how good of an idea taking mcat during my 3rd year would be but on the other hand I do not want to have two gap years before even applying my first time. Advice is greatly appreciated.
Option 2 sounds great- part time job connected to healthcare if possible, earn $$ for your application cycle and study for MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with @wysdoc . We don't have any insight on how far along you are in your experiences. If you have fewer than 150 hours of total clinical experience (in person) and 150 hours of service orientation nonclinical community service, you risk getting excluded in screening. You will need more than these minimums for a viable application, sometimes up to a thousand or more hours depending on the program.

We also don't know if you have any research lined up.

More matriculating students have taken at least one gap year, and not always for a "bad" reason.

The best option allows you to submit your most competitive application early in a cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Option 2 is what I did and I loved it. Also graduated in 3 years, then took 2 gap years, and now starting med school in the fall. Would not have it any other way, I feel like this time really helped me mature and reaffirm why I want to pursue this career. I also had so much fun with friends, travelled, spent time with family, it was wonderful! (This is bc I applied early and was accepted early so once accepted I had lots of free time)

Reactions: 3 users

Option 1:

Option 2:
Option 2.

One additional suggestions: take the MCAT closer to the end of your studies than to the beginning of the application cycle in which you want to apply. Do your test prep after you graduate and then take the test in either Fall or early Winter as soon as you're ready. You'll remember better what you learned and need a little less review. Also, if you don't get the score you want, you'll have the time to retake in the spring before the application cycle really heats up.

Option 2, rushing the medical school application process and trying to cram in academics, MCAT, and other endeavors may result in burnout or potentially you not performing your best in their of the three things I just mentioned. You’re graduating early so take the time to strengthen your application with work activities, community service, clinical experiences, and perhaps even shadowing. Of course, crush the MCAT as well, best of luck, cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @wysdoc . We don't have any insight on how far along you are in your experiences. If you have fewer than 150 hours of total clinical experience (in person) and 150 hours of service orientation nonclinical community service, you risk getting excluded in screening. You will need more than these minimums for a viable application, sometimes up to a thousand or more hours depending on the program.

We also don't know if you have any research lined up.

More matriculating students have taken at least one gap year, and not always for a "bad" reason.

The best option allows you to submit your most competitive application early in a cycle.
I currently have 200-300ish hours of nonclinical volunteering, 50ish clinical that I expect to get to 2-300 over the summer, and I have research lined up for the fall. Did you mean 1000 or more hours in each category or in total?

I currently have 200-300ish hours of nonclinical volunteering, 50ish clinical that I expect to get to 2-300 over the summer, and I have research lined up for the fall. Did you mean 1000 or more hours in each category or in total?
Above 150-200 hours, reviewers will look at what you did and how dedicated you were to the activities. More importantly, they'll consider what you learned from each experience. They are definitely looking if you dabbled (each activity is fewer than 50-100 hours) though it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Don’t apply with 50ish clinical experience hours. Your project 200-300 over the summer will be looked at as projected(projected=might get done but might not) and not count for much if anything. So pick Option 2 and build a good and competitive application. You really don’t want to apply twice.
Good luck.

Don’t apply with 50ish clinical experience hours. Your project 200-300 over the summer will be looked at as projected(projected=might get done but might not) and not count for much if anything. So pick Option 2 and build a good and competitive application. You really don’t want to apply twice.
Good luck.
This is what I'm projecting for myself this summer. I will have the 200-300 by the time I apply no matter which option I choose.