Graduating Early

calculus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If given the chance, would you graduate from high school early?
My friend and I are considering this option because we, to different degrees, feel like we are "wasting time" that could be spent elsewhere.
To give some background, we both are part of a math, science, computer science magnet program, and are in advanced science classes. What are your opinions? Do you think we're silly for trying to "get ahead" in life, or perhaps that we will miss out on events such as prom?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I wouldn't. I skipped a grade in middle school, and while I don't regret it, it is really annoying to be a year ahead when you come of age for some many things while in college. High school is still a fun time and you'll likely place out of a lot of classes in your advanced high school courses, so you aren't even wasting your time. It will translate into stuff you won't have to take in college. There's really no need to be in a rush for all this stuff. Take your time and enjoy the silly high school stuff. You don't ever get it again.

If you pass AP tests you are saving yourself time and it's cheaper than college classes.

Plus the last year of highschool is a fun time. Not overly productive (well it wasn't for me anyways) but fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above unless you are getting tired of high school and feel that there is nothing there of interest to you, and that you aren't fitting in with the other students. I don't think that being 1 year younger than other people in college would be THAT big of a deal, although I could see some minor annoyances coming about due to that. I actually wished that I had skipped a grade in elementary school...this was recommended to my parents but they decided not to let me. In middle school and high school I always felt like I fit in better w/older students and had more in common with them.

I think if you are so far ahead in high school, maybe you should consider going abroad for a semester or a year in high school...that way you could practice a foreign language, have many interesting experiences, etc. It's just an idea.

If you are wasting time in high school, I think you should just do more fun things! I mean once you get into college you have a lot of responsibilities; keep a high GPA, ECs, Research, MCAT, etc. I think you just need to have fun! You can have fun in college too, but high school is all about fun, right?! If you can get along well in class, you're getting great grades, well start doing fun things! I did quite the opposite, doing fun things, but no so doing well in class. Ah, well... :D

I graduated high school when I was 16 and started at the community college, so far no regrets. I look at my high school friends, and the course work I'm doing is sooo much more meaningful and interesting.

I would recommend against graduating early. It was an option for me I decided against it. Instead I took 4 years, did a lot of growing up and soul searching in senior year. I learned more about me and was able to make a better informed choice in applying to schools, finding out what I wanted to do in my life and in choosing a career path. I know one person who did this route. They A) Hated the college they went to and transfered within a year B) Didn't fit in with the senior class/Was despised C) Did not have a clue about what made her tick and wound up going through several different programs/majors and was miserable. This is not exclusive to early grads but is more common in them.

Last edited:
Much like my advice against graduating college early.....same goes for HS. You can't rush certain things, and being able to worry less and live more can be a positive thing. I could have graduated early from both HS and college, but I chose to stick around and I had so much more flexiblity to my schedule. There is PLEEEEEEEENTY of time to worry about your studies, but few opportunities to enjoy your highschool/undergrad once it is gone.

I personally could care less about the "fun" of senior year, but if you take AP and DE classes, you could really save yourself a load of cash (if you know how to work the system) I think the max most colleges will take is 30 college credits, so a crap load of AP looks nice but (if they even do give credit for AP, it depends on your school) taking 7 AP classes and then six Dual Enrollment credits might have you juggling on which credits to toss and which to keep. Then again I'm not an admissions person, so I couldn't say that you even got to choose which credits to keep.

If I were you, and you weren't getting any free college credits or your classes weren't really contributing to your future (underwater basketweaving anyone?) then I would say graduate early. If you can milk out a few more free college credits, then why pass up a bargain?

Taking three years to graduate from high school may affect college admissions. Usually people with three years of high school would have slightly weaker ECs and fewer AP classes than a similar student who took four years to graduate high school. Colleges will not give you any special advantage just because you took less time to graduate high school. If you are aiming for Ivy-level universities, stay for a fourth year and beef up your resume.

please gradulate early - you really need the 4 years of high school. by graduating early, you are really starting University one year younger and you will finsh Med school one year shorter so it really works in the end. you are going to live a life of pain because your childhood is gone

Not a chance. I'm a junior in high school in Myrtle Beach, SC and the only thing I can think of that could be better than that, is being a :cool:SENIOR:cool: living in Myrtle Beach... spring break 2011 is gonna kill.. and besides, while I can't wait for med school, I'm not in a huge rush to start paying bills and dealing with the IRS

please gradulate early - you really need the 4 years of high school. by graduating early, you are really starting University one year younger and you will finsh Med school one year shorter so it really works in the end. you are going to live a life of pain because your childhood is gone

Huh? Being able to start one year earlier for medical school alone isn't a good reason to take three years for high school. And taking three years for high school is not going to make someone "live a life of pain because your childhood is gone". Your post has contradicting statements so I'm not sure of what exactly you're trying to say.

Again, the drawback of taking three years for high school is it might hurt your chances at a top undergraduate. If you're happy to settle with your state school (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), then by all means skip your last year of high school, especially if you find the hs curriculum is a waste of time.

Absolutely. In fact, I did. Two years early.

I felt like high school was a waste of time, I remember being bored, I wasn't really fitting in with my age group (I fitted in way better with people older than me) and I felt like I was being cooped up. So, when I had the opportunity to skip 10th and 11th grade I grabbed it by the horns.

The other posters do have points about your resume not being as beefed up as it could have been; I barely had any ECs, though some dual enrollment and AP courses. However, that wasn't an issue with me because I knew I would go into community college (fully covered courtesy of scholarships) and transfer anyway.

Honestly, I don't regret it at all. I love college so much, and I think I would be miserable if I were still stuck in high school.

There's no way.

High school may seem like a waste... but you have so many years ahead of you for your future. Why the rush to get there? Enjoy life while you can. Have a good time. Go out with friends, get involved at school, go to prom, live life. Don't always be rushing for what's next. Sit back and enjoy it while you still can :)

I personally could care less about the "fun" of senior year, but if you take AP and DE classes, you could really save yourself a load of cash (if you know how to work the system) I think the max most colleges will take is 30 college credits, so a crap load of AP looks nice but (if they even do give credit for AP, it depends on your school) taking 7 AP classes and then six Dual Enrollment credits might have you juggling on which credits to toss and which to keep. Then again I'm not an admissions person, so I couldn't say that you even got to choose which credits to keep.

If I were you, and you weren't getting any free college credits or your classes weren't really contributing to your future (underwater basketweaving anyone?) then I would say graduate early. If you can milk out a few more free college credits, then why pass up a bargain?
It doesn't matter. Most schools (colleges) charge you per semester, not by credit. If you take 12 credits or 18 credits it doesn't matter as long as you stay under a certain amount the school caps at.

Also, its not advisable to take AP credit for science classes (bio, chem, or physics) in college because some medical schools don't honor AP credits. You don't know where you'll be applying to medical school this early so taking the credits could severely limit your applications.

OP: Don't graduate early. Have fun. I really wish I was back in undergrad or even high school. Its a time to enjoy life, be care free, not have any true concerns.

That is, if you don't think you'd have more fun at college. Guess it just depends on the person.