Graduating Early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USDA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my senior year at a 4 year university in Florida. Although I have two more semesters left, I only have 2 more classes left to take before I complete my major (Micro). I was just curious whether you all thought it was a good idea to go ahead and graduate early. I have a cGPA of 3.86 and a sGPA of 3.82. I am not sure these are going to really change with only two semesters left in college. Because of that I thought graduating early would be okay. Is there a disadvantage to graduating early?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as you and am on pace to finish a semester early. I have a few reasons I want to do this though. Is there any particular reason you want to graduate early? You need only 2 classes for your degree or your major? (i.e you already completed every other graduation requirement?)

I also have only 2 classes left, but I'm still taking enough to be a full-time student for the fall semester. I don't know the specifics of the new Health Care bill, but I think it used to be that you lost your parents' Health insurance after graduating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you can think of some courses you REALLY want to take before you leave undergrad, I don't see why you shouldn't graduate a little early. If you do, just make sure you stay somewhat busy during the spring semester time period, whether with a job, volunteering, shadowing, lab work, or just anything to show you weren't just twiddling your thumbs after graduating. It'd also be a great time to study for and take your MCAT if you haven't done that. You don't have to think about other classes, so you can just focus on the MCAT material.