Graduating in December?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bd4727

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This recent thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=955989) made me wonder how common it is for people to graduate from medical school in December instead of May?

I have the option of graduating in December because of how my PhD timing will finish up, and I am wondering what people generally do for 6 months before starting their residency?

My main concerned is getting paid during this period, which if I couldn't figure out a way to do I would just extend my PhD for 6 months so that I will graduate in May.

Also, how do residency programs view this?

Thanks for any insight

Members don't see this ad.

Don't graduate early. Just blow off the rest of fourth year with easy electives. Some medical schools are more flexible about this than others.

I spent 5 months in fourth year doing "research" involving the interaction of waxed wooden planks with crystallized water on angled surfaces.

Are you thinking about defending in fall/winter and then joining up with the MS3 class once they are 6 months+ into their clerkships? If so, just be aware that you will probably take some time to become a competent medical student again. You'll probably have more of an initial re-learning curve than your MD-only peers regardless, but it might be more obvious if your new classmates have already gone through several months in clinic.

Alternately, you could think about doing something else between the end of your PhD and the reentry to medical school. Some of the students in my program have taken 6ish months away from the program to go and work with biotech or pharmaceutical companies. Some have also had their PIs keep them on for some extra time as unofficial postdocs. Personally, I am hoping to defend off-cycle and spend 6 months doing global health work abroad before I go back to MS3. Just something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have been more clear:

First, everything I am talking about would happen 1 year from now. I have been cleared to submit my PhD thesis for a December graduation, but I am guaranteed funding for the full year if I want to graduate PhD in May instead, and my PI said I should do whatever I want.

I already completed Medicine/Surgery before starting PhD, and my MSTP will fund me for 17 months when I return from PhD.

So, my options are:

a) graduate PhD in December, in which case I'd return to medical school in January (when 2nd years start their first rotations at my medical school school), then graduate MD in May 17mo later

b) I can take an extra 6 months for my PhD that I don't really need and graduate in spring, return to medical school in July (2nd years would have had a few rotations by then), and graduate MD 17mo later in December.

I guess what I am most curious about is:

1) how common is it for MD/PhD people to graduate in December from MD (I imagine fairly)
2) how do residency programs view this
3) anything else I should know that would be weird about graduating MD in December

1) how common is it for MD/PhD people to graduate in December from MD (I imagine fairly)

Very rare AFAIK.

Doubt they would care as long as ERAS classifies you as a graduating senior. This is important. You do not want to be classified as an "independent applicant". Talk to your medical school about this.

3) anything else I should know that would be weird about graduating MD in December

You may have to explain it to residency programs. I'd still recommend just staying in your program somehow as it's easier to explain.

In any case, what is it that you really want to do with those six months?

Last edited:
I may be reading this wrong, but does choice A involve you graduating (from the whole program) a [school] year earlier? As in, could you match a year earlier if you went with choice A?

So, my options are:

a) graduate PhD in December, in which case I'd return to medical school in January (when 2nd years start their first rotations at my medical school school), then graduate MD in May 17mo later

b) I can take an extra 6 months for my PhD that I don't really need and graduate in spring, return to medical school in July (2nd years would have had a few rotations by then), and graduate MD 17mo later in December.

Don't graduate from medical school in December if you can help it. If (a) is an option, and results in you matching a year earlier than (b), I don't know why you would choose (b).

I agree - nothing about option B is in your favor.

You would tack on unnecessary lab time just so that you can restart clerkships with more advanced students, graduate a year later, AND have to fumble around for employment? Just defend your PhD in the winter and take the more normal route.

I agree - nothing about option B is in your favor.

You would tack on unnecessary lab time just so that you can restart clerkships with more advanced students, graduate a year later, AND have to fumble around for employment? Just defend your PhD in the winter and take the more normal route.

Well, I am intrigued at the idea of spending 6 months pursuing some of my other interests (mainly biotech/ startup stuff) before starting residency...

Well, I am intrigued at the idea of spending 6 months pursuing some of my other interests (mainly biotech/ startup stuff) before starting residency...

As others said, graduate as fast as you can. If you have time between finishing PhD and going back to medical school and there's nothing you can do about it (as happened to me), make sure you have a thorough discussion with your med school and MD/PhD advisers as to whether your plan makes sense.

Doubt they would care as long as ERAS classifies you as a graduating senior. This is important. You do not want to be classified as an "independent applicant". Talk to your medical school about this.
This is key.

OP, which semester you graduate from your PhD is pretty irrelevant, but you don't want to graduate from med school in December since it's probably going to mess up your status as a sponsored candidate for the match. I suggest going ahead and starting rotations in January with the rest of the upcoming third year class so that you finish med school at the normal time in May. You can do an industry post doc later if you decide that's what you want.

It isn't that uncommon at my program--I'd say about 20% graduate in December. It hasn't seemed to make a big difference for them in the Match--I think the school even continues to sponsor/advise them. I doubt residencies view graduating seniors much differently from recent grads who have never begun residency (and you wouldn't even have graduated yet when you submit ERAS in the fall).

Regardless, the further I get in the process the more I view the one of the most important aspects of MD/PhD training as getting out as soon as possible.

regardless, the further i get in the process the more i view the one of the most important aspects of md/phd training as getting out as soon as possible.

+1