Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Graduating in the fall semester and other issues with being a pre-med

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by buckeyes1577, Aug 11, 2015.

1. buckeyes1577

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I apologize for the vague title but I am having a really difficult time making some decisions about my future. So, just to summarize some background information:

1. I am on scholarship, which grants me 8 semesters of free room/board/tuition. I have used 3/8 semesters so far. I would like to avoid running over these 8 semesters!

2. During high school, I completed many of my pre reqs at a community college and received an Associate's degree. These credits all transferred to my undergraduate institution and I only have three semesters of language left. I am majoring in neuroscience and I have already completed about 20% of my major classes. I am not concerned about graduating with these courses completed on time.

3. I just finished my first year of college, but I chose to take summer courses. While the summer semester started out very strong and I was doing well, I ran into some mental health issues and wound up with a C+ in both organic chemistry I and organic chemistry lab I because of low scores on the final. I will be retaking these in the fall to improve my grade. Because of my last minute schedule changes, I cannot enroll in these two classes along with another pre-med class (I still have Physics I & II as well as Biochemistry).

So, with all that being said, what should I be concerned about? I do not think I will get to take the MCAT until Spring/Summer of 2017, so will this put me behind on my application timeline? I also will be graduating in Autumn of 2018....will not taking classes during the spring (and alternatively completing research which I already have set up) be OK for matriculation the following autumn? Or would it be better for me to complete another semester of classes next summer?

Also, will medical schools feel turned off by my application because it is far from cookie cutter? I have persevered through a lot this past year so I am lucky that I am even still in school. I am a first generation student and college is definitely difficult for me to navigate. I want to enter medical eventually and I am trying everything I can to push through this pre-med process!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. buckeyes1577

Pre-Medical
    When I said prereqs, I meant things like history, english, etc. -- do you think this will be an issue?

4. buckeyes1577

Pre-Medical

My advisor recommended that I retake the classes to improve my chances. Do you think this a waste of time? I would've gotten an A- in both of the classes if my final scores weren't so low (35-40%). It just kinda sucks this happened. I started anti-anxiety medication a few days prior to my finals and it caused me to have adverse reactions. If I retake orgo, I have to push back physics and biochemistry. If I don't, I risk the chance of losing admission to medical school...right?

5. starlite911

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't retake orgo. Take, and ace, biochemistry instead, since it covers some of the same material and will show that you've learned.
    Earning an A in a new, more advance course is going to be more impressive than retaking the same course and getting an A and will probably be more beneficial to your GPA too