MD Graduating late (not eligible for the next match)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexandra22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a current 3rd year medical student. I recently figured out I will miss the match by a month (I will not graduate by July 1st). My school suggested that I space out the requirements so I graduate march / April of 2023 instead. They want me to do research off and on with electives. I am not sure I like this idea and am considering taking a full year after 3rd year and coming back for 4th year (not sure what I want to do). My school thinks this is a bad idea as I would lose clinical skills.

What can I do to minimize this somewhat red flag to residency? Take extra rotations? MPH? research year? Work for a year? Any advice from someone familiar with this situation would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I am a current 3rd year medical student. I recently figured out I will miss the match by a month (I will not graduate by July 1st). My school suggested that I space out the requirements so I graduate march / April of 2023 instead. They want me to do research off and on with electives. I am not sure I like this idea and am considering taking a full year after 3rd year and coming back for 4th year (not sure what I want to do). My school thinks this is a bad idea as I would lose clinical skills.

What can I do to minimize this somewhat red flag to residency? Take extra rotations? MPH? research year? Work for a year? Any advice from someone familiar with this situation would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

I'm confused. Why is this happening? When would you graduate? Based on your school's recommendations they want you to take an extra year...which you don't like...but then you're saying you are considering doing the same thing except you want to take the gap before you start M4. Either way you're losing a year.

We need this to be explained better to help. I understand anonymity but do your best.

Reactions: 3 users
I was supposed to graduate April 2022. If I were to go straight ahead as my schedule is now, I would graduate late July 2022 which is late for the match. Im looking at options.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was supposed to graduate April 2022. If I were to go straight ahead as my schedule is now, I would graduate late July 2022 which is late for the match. Im looking at options.
OK. I get that. What I understand next though is that you want to just take a gap year now and do research, etc. whereas your school wants you to take a gap year after you graduate? You are losing skills from being off a year regardless. If you take the gap between M3 and M4 you arguably are two years removed from intensive clinical medicine because 4th year's all electives. If you take the break after M4, that is still probably two years of less intense work.

I think this would come down to 2 things:

1.) If you take the gap third year, whatever you do goes on ERAS (huge plus)
2.) Have you found time to arrange something?

I like your idea of taking the gap before 4th year. Do that. Nothing you do if you take a gap year after 4th year will go on your app unless you're doing some prestigious research fellowship at Oxford and you can say you were accepted to it...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Whatever you do, make sure when you apply for ERAS that your status is 4th year student aka “US MD/DO Senior”

It’s kind of dumb they are making to extend an entire year just for one month. I would try to do an unofficial full research year or something if you have no other recourse - so take the gap before 4th year begins, then come back and do some electives/requirements for at least one semester so you will count as senior when you apply for ERAS. At least that can be spun easily and will net you publications. Your schools excuse about losing skills is bogus.

Still kind of a weird situation though...I find it hard to believe that a year+ out from now there is no way any scheduling changes can help you graduate on time, especially with how light 4th year usually is.

Reactions: 1 users
I tried everything I could but they said because of the curriculum, there is no way apparently. In the beginning, I thought about asking a residency if I could start late July but from what I know / researched, it is impossible to match if you can't prove you will graduate before July 1st.

I tried everything I could but they said because of the curriculum, there is no way apparently. In the beginning, I thought about asking a residency if I could start late July but from what I know / researched, it is impossible to match if you can't prove you will graduate before July 1st.
Yeah residencies won’t budge here this far out.

If it truly is hopeless, then I’d honestly take a year between 3rd and 4th year and do a research/MPH/whatever and then return, making sure that in that extra year you also get whatever requirements you need to get done to graduate on time. You may or may not have to stay enrolled as a student at least part time for a semester during this extra year to be able to take the clinical requirements, but consecutive research is better than what your school is suggesting of the “on and off” thing. The details of the years structure and enrollment you’ll have to discuss with the school. I personally know people who did this (10 months of research and 2 of rotations) - they were highly successful in the match and no one ever questioned it (or even looked deeply into it to notice).

The advantage of this is that when you return for 4th year, you will count as an MD Senior (this is important for residency applications, as MD seniors are most favored) - and it’ll look like you simply took a research year, which is pretty common. It will also likely really benefit your application and there will be no issue of clinical skill loss.

I think other options/scheme are less ideal compared to this one. Artificially just taking electives to extend graduation like your school suggests may work, as you’ll still count as an MD senior, but it really just gives the school an extra year of tuition without adding much to your app as your research time will be fragmented, and you will have to explain why it’s taking you 5 years to graduate without having done a research year or a dual degree. Again it’s not lethal, but not ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As others have said I agree - take the gap/research year, do your missing/redo 3rd year rotations during that gap/research year, and actually do research and be incredibly productive in that year. Don't do extra superfluous rotations. What specialty are you attempting to match in? It should be realistic given your circumstances and I hope you've thought about that already. I believe if you do some research and correct those issues for the missing/redo rotations in this gap year you could have an extremely strong application for a good residency in FM/IM/psych/path if any of those were your passion. The surgical specialties are probably a reach and GAS/rads might be difficult but not impossible. Avoid EM because EM.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi @Alexandra22 , do you mind DMing me? I'm in the same situation this year & would appreciate any / all insight. Thanks so much

do whatever you want. Dont weigh your school's advice more than necessary. Take it into account but do what you think is best for you.
Good luck