Graduating Seniors...Transcript Request NOW? (For AMCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I will be applying in the 2009 cycle.

I have a quick question for my fellow graduating seniors. My school won't be releasing this semester's grades onto the transcript until June 9th. I was told by the registrar that if I want my grade to show up on the transcript, I should do it then.

Regarding that...I'm just wondering if I should request the transcript now and send an updated transcript later? What are your plans regarding transcript requests.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is an issue that I dealt with too. I decided to wait because my new grades would increase my GPA to a new psychological tier. The wait ended up costing me at least a little since AMCAS was bombarded by the time my transcript arrived even though my app was submitted early.

The issue with updating later is that [1] schools might not care [2] schools might not allow updates [3] it's expensive to send a transcript to every school to which you apply.

There's only an advantage to waiting if your grades will improve your app by a lot. Meaning the continuation of an upward trend, a mighty impressive GPA reversal, or a psychological difference from a 3.28 to a 3.30 or a 3.49 to a 3.51, etc.

June 9th is late? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not, but I really want to get the ball rolling ASAP.

I need to put myself in the best possible position. BUt then again, this is all talk, I'll probably end up falling behind my intended date of submission...ARGHHHHHH

My question is how important are those spring grades?

In my situation I'm taking a mini-post-bacc to finish 2 required courses, worth waiting for spring grades or just GO FOR IT?

Yeah I didn't even catch that. No worries, OP. I didn't even finish Spring quarter until June 15, much less have my transcript ready.

haha alright gotcha

My question is how important are those spring grades?

In my situation I'm taking a mini-post-bacc to finish 2 required courses, worth waiting for spring grades or just GO FOR IT?
My thinking is that it doesn't matter unless it puts a new spin on your app. For just two classes, I'll go out on a limb and guess that it doesn't. Just go for it!

My thinking is that it doesn't matter unless it puts a new spin on your app. For just two classes, I'll go out on a limb and guess that it doesn't. Just go for it!

Sweet thanks! I definitely would like to get my primary in ASAP, although I have heard there's a "grace period" in June, as long as it's in by June you're good. Do you believe there's much of a difference between submitting June 6 to June 25?

Sweet thanks! I definitely would like to get my primary in ASAP, although I have heard there's a "grace period" in June, as long as it's in by June you're good. Do you believe there's much of a difference between submitting June 6 to June 25?
I believe that there's a difference, yes. Obviously it's not as huge as June vs August but at June 6, only semester students are ready to submit. By June 25, quarter schools join the mix. Every day you wait, AMCAS gets more transcripts in their queue and your app will take longer to verify.

The grace period is because med schools won't begin to send out secondaries until early July. The issue is that your app isn't verified immediately. It can take a few weeks which means your secondaries will have to wait.

Obviously don't submit before you're ready, but don't dawdle for no reason.

BTW, make sure your LORs are ready ASAP! Otherwise no matter how fast you receive/submit those secondaries, you're still in limbo until you get your LORs mailed out.