Graduating with a BA in May...too late to consider grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlainDane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was not that serious about school until a few weeks ago. As a result I did not apply to any graduate programs. Don't get me wrong, my GPA is fine (3.6)...my long-term outlook however was questionable.

What are some ways to get into a masters program? I have a feeling that's all I can get into given my timing.

Is it as simple as going back to campus and asking for LoRs from former professors?

Are my chances decent if I've been out of school for a while before matriculating?

Members don't see this ad.

It too late for this upcoming year because most deadlines for masters programs have past (or will have past before you can get everything together).

Have you taken the GRE? If so, how did you do? You will want to get LORs, but they need to be from professors who you knew relatively well. A professor that can only say that you were active in his/her class and made an A is not much help, as an admissions committee can glean that from looking at your transcript. A LOR needs to say much more than that. Get research experience if you have not already done so, as some research experience is important, even for masters programs.

mainly what erg said

however, you can still apply to professional schools such as Alliant and I'm sure there are still masters program somewhere taking applications. But if you do not have good LoR's from professors who know you personally and you have not taken the GRE then your chances are extremely slim.

perhaps look into masters programs that offer spring admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other replies. Except that I don't know why you want to go to a masters program in the first place, and for what degree. MSW? A psychology MA? Either way, you've got to have that GRE taken and score well.

I do disagree with the others though in that I believe recs from your class professors, who are really only vouching for your classwork, can be perfectly fine for a general psych masters programs. A competitive MSW program is a different story. The thing is with these psych masters degrees is they have no funding, and they're pretty useless in that in most states you can't do anything with just a psych masters -- you need some kind of doctorate, msw, mph, mhc to do anything interesting. so they're really just looking for students who can come in and pay tuition, the money from which they use to fund students in their doctorate programs. so don't be discouraged.

also, get in touch directly with the heads of the departments at schools that interest you. try and meet with them face-to-face. they very well may still be accepting for fall, but talk to the people in the department who it's hoped know more than admissions. even if they say "no" now, you never know -- someone who they accepted may decide to go elsewhere, and by the fact you made the effort to go to their office, they're gonna remember your face better than someone's name on a paper application, and may feel your efforts demonstrate such a strong interest and commitment that you're being later with the application can be waived, assuming you meet their admissions requirements otherwise, eg for grades etc.

if nothing else, many masters programs accept for spring, with deadlines in the fall, giving you plenty of time to study and get a great GRE score.

Good luck!

It's never too late to consider graduate school. Yes, it may be too late to apply for this upcoming school year, but you could always apply for subsequent years. I've been out of school for about a year and a half and I'll be applying to graduate schools during Fall. Follow the information given above and you should be ok. It also helps to have someone read your personal statement before you turn in a final copy with your application.

I agree with what everyone else says. You can wait until the semester after next in order to try and get applications out.

It shouldn't have too much of an impact; many undergraduates are starting to take a year off to straighten out their lives as well as their work experience in order to apply for a graduate program.

I think you should relax for now, maybe think about getting a job that relates to the field, and start prepping for fall applications. A lot of people take a year off and, from what I've heard from a few of my grad friends, it's good when you're still not sure what you want to do exactly or where you're going to apply. Just don't loose focus! =D