Graduating with Masters.. Too late for premed prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittlePaozi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping I am in the right place. I tried looking for similar posts compared to mine, but I just found applying to masters before medical school. I am about to graduate with masters in science in Health and kinesiology December 2017. I was premed during my undergrad but working too much and parents pressure jeopardized my science grades and changed my major to health from chemistry. I have a couple premed requirements but not all of the upper courses, and would probably not count towards my medical application because it will be over the 5 years. I would really like to redo my science classes and apply to medical school. I've always worked in medical offices and Heath professional careers and I would really like to be in obgyn or optometry field. I am recently engaged to a Texas state trooper, and we moved to Beaumont in July due to his duty station.. We are planning to move to a bigger city (Dallas, Houston, Arlington) that has community colleges or universities where I can redo my science classes. I understand it will take me about 2 years to finish my pre-reqs then I can get into the 2019 or 2020 cycle.

I have a couple questions about my options.
1. Are there any other postbaccs in Texas or UNT is the only one that I can find?

2. Instead of postbacc would it better to just do some of my prereqs at a community college to save money and then transfer to 4 year to finish the upper science requirements? I'm not sure how much money I would get from FAFSA since I already have stafford and non-stafford loans.

Any advice or criticism would be beneficial. I understand it sounds very typical, but honestly I realize that I am ready and I can do it, I just would like the best option to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am hoping I am in the right place. I tried looking for similar posts compared to mine, but I just found applying to masters before medical school. I am about to graduate with masters in science in Health and kinesiology December 2017. I was premed during my undergrad but working too much and parents pressure jeopardized my science grades and changed my major to health from chemistry. I have a couple premed requirements but not all of the upper courses, and would probably not count towards my medical application because it will be over the 5 years. I would really like to redo my science classes and apply to medical school. I've always worked in medical offices and Heath professional careers and I would really like to be in obgyn or optometry field. I am recently engaged to a Texas state trooper, and we moved to Beaumont in July due to his duty station.. We are planning to move to a bigger city (Dallas, Houston, Arlington) that has community colleges or universities where I can redo my science classes. I understand it will take me about 2 years to finish my pre-reqs then I can get into the 2019 or 2020 cycle.

I have a couple questions about my options.
1. Are there any other postbaccs in Texas or UNT is the only one that I can find?

2. Instead of postbacc would it better to just do some of my prereqs at a community college to save money and then transfer to 4 year to finish the upper science requirements? I'm not sure how much money I would get from FAFSA since I already have stafford and non-stafford loans.

Any advice or criticism would be beneficial. I understand it sounds very typical, but honestly I realize that I am ready and I can do it, I just would like the best option to do it.

Hmm unfortunately I'm not informed about postbaccs in TX so I can't help you there. But no you don't need to do a formal post bacc. I finished my last few pre reqs at a CC and am having a relatively successful cycle at this point. It's so much cheaper, more flexible, and frankly I learned a ton from each CC I took.

Just make sure that you can 1)obtain science LORs from your CC professors, because virtually every med school requires these. If you did a formal postbacc and were successful they would provide you with a committee letter in lieu of this. However, well written LORs from CC profs will be fine.
2) Make sure you can prep for MCAT successfully on your own.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes. And just remember that you're in a marathon now, not a sprint.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I did all my premed requirements at a community college. Wasn't ever an issue. I paid for every class at the CC for the cost of about 2 classes at the university. Funny part, most of my instructors taught in both locations. Lots of people told me it didn't look good to take them at a CC, I completely ignored the stupidity of that logic and never looked back.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm unfortunately I'm not informed about postbaccs in TX so I can't help you there. But no you don't need to do a formal post bacc. I finished my last few pre reqs at a CC and am having a relatively successful cycle at this point. It's so much cheaper, more flexible, and frankly I learned a ton from each CC I took.

Just make sure that you can 1)obtain science LORs from your CC professors, because virtually every med school requires these. If you did a formal postbacc and were successful they would provide you with a committee letter in lieu of this. However, well written LORs from CC profs will be fine.
2) Make sure you can prep for MCAT successfully on your own.

I've researched on postbaccs in TX and the only one I could find was UNT Master of Science https://www.unthsc.edu/graduate-sch...ly-the-post-baccalaureate-premedical-program/ . However I saw the admission rate is a bit difficult to get into and that doesn't even guarantee of getting accepted to a medical school, which will be quite a waste of money because some of those classes are not pre-med requirements and could cost my chances of getting into other medical schools besides the UNT medical program.
Thank you, I'll be sure to check out my community colleges around me and makes me feel better that it can be done.

Thank you, I realize now that I'm 24 and finishing my masters, my parents focused on the mentality of finishing everything so fast. I would really like to take my time and not rush these prereqs, I understand that it will jeopardize my chances by rushing and I would really like to get in and focus on my passion.

I did all my premed requirements at a community college. Wasn't ever an issue. I paid for every class at the CC for the cost of about 2 classes at the university. Funny part, most of my instructors taught in both locations. Lots of people told me it didn't look good to take them at a CC, I completely ignored the stupidity of that logic and never looked back.
I am so glad you said this, peers and my family are frowning upon this option but I believe it is the best one, and it definitely would help me! Thank you, I really appreciate the encouragement.

I am so glad you said this, peers and my family are frowning upon this option but I believe it is the best one, and it definitely would help me! Thank you, I really appreciate the encouragement.

It is like driving a Ford Focus vs Mercedes; both will get you to your destination. And, once you get there, nobody cares how. It really doesn't make any difference.