graduation..are you walking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giddygirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're finishing up undergrad this semester, are you walking in graduation? Now that I'm into med school, and knowing I'll have another graduation, it doesn't seem as meaningful. I'm really only doing it for my Grandmas who will be in town for my brother's wedding. It's weird that I've worked so hard over the last four years and now I'm not that excited, I'm more excited to start med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's much easier for people to justify skipping their graduation at a very large university, whereas those attending small colleges (my school had less than 500/class) have a much harder time justifying not being at graduation. . .

It IS nice to finalize your four years of undergraduate schooling. :)

I'm not finishing ugrad, but rather grad school and I am walking next Sunday. Anytime you complete a degree you've worked hard for, it's nice to go through the ceremony, no matter the level. In my opinion, just because you're going to 'do it again in four years' doesn't change the fact that you made it through the past four in order to get to this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm walking! I know that I will regret it later if I don't. Like you, I am much more excited about med school than walking right now... but I am still proud to be finishing up undergrad. :clap:

I am definitely walking if not running.

12 more days !!
I can't wait.

I took my last final exam today and i feel really proud of myself--and you should too. Finishing high school wasn't a big deal, but i remember the great feeling on graduation day, and I can't wait to feel it again! :D

I'm soooooooo excited about walking! :clap: :clap: Granted I do have yet another (more important) graduation in four years, but it still doesn't mask the pride I feel for completing my BS at my dream school. My whole life I dreamt about attending UCLA (I know, not a huge feat, but it held a special place in my heart) and I am damn proud of being able to walk and show that I was not only successful in completing my degree, but I am headed toward bigger and better things. Besides, my parents are so excited they are about to burst. I couldn't possibly deny them the opportunity of seeing their daughter graduate from a well known University :wink: (especially since I'm the first person to attend a Uni. from my dad's side!) :p

I didn't go to my college graduation, because at the time, I was WAY too cool for it, and besides, I knew I would be just one person in Michigan stadium out of thousands. No big deal. Well, turns out it was a big deal. My parents never said so until recently, but they were disappointed in my decision. When I got accepted to med school, my mother said, "If there is a ceremony for ANYTHING, even if you get a diploma for bedpan cleaning, I had better be invited!" They felt a little cheated first time around, and now I wish I had been there. I guarantee you, I am no longer feeling too cool to participate. I've waited a LONG time to go to med school, and four years from now, I'm gonna happily be the dorkiest, giddiest graduate to ever run up the aisle.

I went to a small/medium sized university (1000/class) and I can't imagine not going to the ceremony, given the smaller class size. After 4 years you know everyone in your major really well, and you know most of your class (or at least know who most of them are), so it really is a great experience. I don't think I've ever been around so many excited and happy people at one time in my life. I'll never forget it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Legend:
•I am definitely walking if not running.

12 more days !!
I can't wait.•••••Me too! I'll see you there Legend! I can't wait!!! :clap:

I graduated this Sunday, and I walked with my class. It was a great experience, and it really made you aware of your accomplishment. It was also a nice endcap to my college "experience."

But my class was only 400 people so it seemed like everybody knew everbody else, so we all "shared" in the ceremony - we were a community in a sense. :)

Now that I am still waitlisted at two schools with no acceptance, I don't feel proud of being a graduating senior anymore. I feel that most of my hard work in college was for nothing. Maybe I'm too narrow-minded, but i just don't feel right graduating without something to show for. Well, I already signed up for the walk, though, so I'll be doing that, I guess.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by vitaminX:
•Now that I am still waitlisted at two schools with no acceptance, I don't feel proud of being a graduating senior anymore. I feel that most of my hard work in college was for nothing. Maybe I'm too narrow-minded, but i just don't feel right graduating without something to show for. Well, I already signed up for the walk, though, so I'll be doing that, I guess.•••••Hey now, nothing to show for it? You will have a college degree and I'm guessing a few life changing experiences along the way. graduating from college is a big deal, and besides a waitlist can become an acceptance any day now. An acceptance to med school or not should not be the deciding factor on if college was a success, although I think many of us in the pre-med rat race get caught into thinking that every so often.

Hi everyone!

After 5 years of coffee, and studying I felt that I deserved a PARTY (I graduated 2 years ago)!

You guys shoud be proud, and have fun! Enjoy the day with your family! Congratulations to all of you who are graduating! :clap:

Chnobli
:D

I graduated last year from Berkeley, and I walked. I walked more for my mother than for myself. Of course, I was proud of myself for working so hard and for accomplishing many of my goals. But nothing beats seeing your mother smiling and in tears as you go through the graduation ceremony. It was a HUGE deal for her, so I was more than willing to give her that moment as a wonderful memory. I hope all of you have wonderful graduations and recognize the amount of effort and energy that you have invested into your undergraduate degrees. It is a big deal and don't let anyone tell you it isn't. Yes, Bachelor's degrees are just as common as Mc'Donalds in this country, but noone else has taken the path that you have so enjoy it for that, if nothing else.

I wasn't sure about walking until the last few days even though I worked my butt off the last four years. I changed my mind after remembering the euphoria my mates and I felt when we graduated from high school---gosh I wouldn't miss it for a THING! This may not be an MD,but hey that's no reason to skip the ceremony....
Congrats to the class of 2002.

My school had two ceremonies last weekend. One was the big "official" one for the entire university where they say "College of Science" and then you stand. The other was just for my college and you actually got to walk across a stage and have your name called. I only went to the big one and it was great. I sort of wished I had gone to the small one, but I really didn't want to spend all day graduating, plus the max tickets allowed were 10 and I had 11 people coming. It was still a blast though. :)