• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

WhiteCoatWife

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My husband graduates in one month & I am running out of ideas of what to get him that are not completely cliche! He is a husband and a father & I refuse to get him some lame paperweight or plaque with his name on it. Please keep in mind we are on a budget- but he only graduates med school once & I want to get him something specical to show him how proud we are!

I have a couple ideas so far: one of which is a night away without the kids (we have two under two so I don't want to be gone for more than one night). But I would still like something for him to open at his grad party! Also, any fun ideas on what to do with his short coat? (Aside from burning it!)

Thanks!

loho77

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My vote's for getting him a nice watch. It's a good way to mark the occasion. You can find reputable brands for pretty reasonable prices if you do enough scouting around online. Bulova and Movado are a couple of my favorite brands for men's watches. (I'm not a guy but did a lot of research before eventually buying my boyfriend a Bulova recently)

Good luck!

D elegans

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2011
Flyover Country
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Good idea with the night away (I can't think of anything better)

For something to open, maybe a monogrammed long white coat?

About the Ads

CatFactorial

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I second the watch idea. Or I second (hand) the watch idea.

Movados and Bulovas are nice but can be pricey. A Seiko Eco Drive is absolutely boss and relatively inexpensive.

WhiteCoatWife

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My vote's for getting him a nice watch. It's a good way to mark the occasion. You can find reputable brands for pretty reasonable prices if you do enough scouting around online. Bulova and Movado are a couple of my favorite brands for men's watches. (I'm not a guy but did a lot of research before eventually buying my boyfriend a Bulova recently)

Good luck!
I do like the idea of a watch! Sounds classy! ;)

Lbgem

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
That's an excellent idea! Any suggestions on where to buy one & have it monogrammed? :)

If you have any military friends...I went to the Exchange on a military base and (no tax yay!) bought citizen eco-watches (really love the eco-watches), for a pretty good price. You can check around and see if it's cheaper that way. I'd even consider checking amazon....

Good luck!

Smurfette

Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Jun 7, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How about a monogrammed bag for when on call or working nights? You could fill the bag with items like snack foods, microwavable food (for heating up in a call room), socks, toothbrush/comb/toothpaste/floss/shaving cream/razor/contact lens solution, aspirin/tylenol/ibuprofen, a travel alarm clock, etc. You can put in a few "non-work" items too, if you like, such as pics of the kids, drawings the kids made, or little things that may have significance to him.

Roguelyn

Apr 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I like the watch idea, a second hand is nice for pulses or fetal heart rate. The overnight bag is good, too. You could toss some coffee shop GC in there.

gasblaster

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You may want to hold off on the white coat, b/c most residency programs provide residents with multiple monogrammed coats.

Yes. Definitely hold off on the white coat. Most residencies will provide it for you and, to be honest, as graduating MS4, the long white coat itself isn't something that's super exciting.

jlimback

Mar 15, 2010
Orlando/Tally, FL
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As a medical student, father of 2 kids, and having been married 8 years, I can say the night away would, by far, be the best gift you can give him. Just make it really nice, doing things you know you like to do together. Also, try to get someone to keep the kids ALL day. An entire day off, with no kids, and doing whatever ya'll want will definitely be something he'll probably not see again for a long time :p

The watch is good as a gift to give him at the graduation party. I think Movado's are totally awesome, but many of them only have the gem at 12, which makes it hard to be exact. Make sure whatever you get has at least the 12, 3, 6, 9. One of the super thin watches may be nice, as it won't get caught on as much.

Anyhow, good luck, and congrats to making it through!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.