Grammar Goose Eggs, or Edu-ma-cation for those Too Embarrassed to Ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirSeanly

SDN Writing Dude
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Searching for answers? I got your answers!

Beginning Monday June 25, I will start a weekly series about common grammar mistakes and how to avoid them. Each week will focus on new errors and misunderstandings, plumbing the depths of our ignorance together, and hopefully finding the right answers. For those who need more incentive, think of it as a chance to gain insight into how we ought to be writing without exposing our ignorance to the general populace.

So, visit me in the Writing Advice Thread in the SDN Mentor Forum!

Members don't see this ad.

Beginning Monday June 25, I will start a weekly series about common grammar mistakes and how to avoid them. Each week will focus on new errors and misunderstandings, plumbing the depths of our ignorance together, and hopefully finding the right answers. For those who need more incentive, think of it as a chance to gain insight into how we ought to be writing without exposing our ignorance to the general populace.

Believe it or not, learning German is a great way to learn grammar. Subjects, direct objects, indirect objects all take different cases. Different rules follow for coordinating and subordinating conjunctions, so you learn the difference there as well.

English is heavily bastardized :smuggrin:

I don't need no dang advise. Them rules is culturally biased. You try comin' round these parts with 'yer fancy-schmancy city-folk speak and you'll confuse the locals! 'Ol Mrs. Perkins down the street'll forget her sugar pill again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Real phone conversation at my job (daily):

Me: Outpatient pharmacy, can I help you?

Pt: Hello? Honey? You there? Hello? Is this thing on? tap, tap. HELLO!?

Me: How can I help you, sir?

Pt: Honey, I be needin' my pills. All my pills!

Me: Could I get your name and your last four, please?

Pt: Oh! It's **********, ****

Me: OK, how can I help you?

Pt: I dun tole you I needed my pills!

Me: OK, sure. Which pills, sir?

Pt: Honey, I be needin' them all. All dem pills I take evry day.

Me: OK. Let's go through this list...

Pt: I be needin' my sugar pill (the big ole stankin' one), my water pill (little one that makes me pee), and my heart pill. You know, the one for my blood!

Me: warfarin?

Pt: No! It's for my heart. I mean my blood. It's pinky and small, like. You know, my coomerdom.

Me: Got it. ;) Anything else?

Pt: Well, honey. I'm not sure I feels like a talkin' to you bout this one. Is a boy pharmacist in them parts today?

Me: Not at the moment sir. What other medication do you need?

Pt: Well, this is 'barrassin', honey. But I need my SEX pill! My Varnishagrill...

Me: Vardenafil, got it. We'll get those in the mail to you. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Pt: No, I reckon that's it. You be fixin' to mail those out to me? I need that varnishagrill this weekend. I gotta date!

Me: Yes sir. We'll get right to work on it.

Pt: Allright, talkatcha later then, honey!

Me: Bye! :p

Or, how about this one:

"I need my hydrocortisone! You know, my PAIN pill. My hydro-cortisone for my PAIN." :rolleyes:

In a similar vein:

Miss J: This metho one is for pain right?

Me: Yes, maam, methocarbamol is a muscle relaxant to relieve painful muscles.

Miss J: That bitch! She still didn't give me the one I wanted!

;)

My only annoyance is when people call their drug regimen a "drug regime". Like their Toprol is going to start making WMDs and threaten the Western world with nuclear destruction...

My only annoyance is when people call their drug regimen a "drug regime". Like their Toprol is going to start making WMDs and threaten the Western world with nuclear destruction...

Somehow I don't think that's your "only" annoyance...I've read your blog. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't need no dang advise. Them rules is culturally biased. You try comin' round these parts with 'yer fancy-schmancy city-folk speak and you'll confuse the locals! 'Ol Mrs. Perkins down the street'll forget her sugar pill again.

I HEAR THAT ALL THE TIME IN MY HOME TOWN

Speaking of your blog... WVU, where did the direct link in your sig go? :)

Well...it's still there. So it's either one of three things:
1) You aren't logged in.
2) The sig line only appears in the first post of a thread - are you looking at a later post?
3) You are blind/crazy.

I like it when people want to ask about a drug inter-reaction.

At my work we dispense a lot of:

water pills
sugar pills
blood pills "to thin my blood"
sex pills
the "stuff I shoot myself with" (pegasys, adalimumab, EPO)
"my diapers"
"the bag for my poop" (ostomy supplies)

I'll think of some more of my favorites later.

Well...it's still there. So it's either one of three things:
1) You aren't logged in.
2) The sig line only appears in the first post of a thread - are you looking at a later post?
3) You are blind/crazy.

:laugh: It was option 2! :laugh:

Don't forget the "Premiums" (Premarin) or the Lor-a-Tabs...

And you better make sure you "don't gimme none of them genetics!"...

I've also discovered a lot of people don't know the difference between millimeters and milliliters. "How many millimeters do I give her?"

hmmmm - people also confuse your & you're.

How about that cream for that itch "down there".....

Then there's also that "bone pill"....

Then there is always a stock check for "dilatutin", "oxocidon" or "percidine" - funny, I never seem to have these in stock - EVER! They also somehow can never bring in the original rx to let me see it:rolleyes:...

"Bus-sip-prone HCL" and "Go-ay-fin-ex" (Guaifenex)!

My pharmacist likes to call our pharmacy the candy shop on Fridays because we dispense a lot of weekend-friendly pills that every guy calls in with, "you need to give this to me today because I need it for the weekend!" at 1 hour before we close. :)

Grammer is overrated..........................

and overlooked..

The problem is that grammar and usage of vocabs also follow trends like fashion.

I've also discovered a lot of people don't know the difference between millimeters and milliliters. "How many millimeters do I give her?"

LOL. Thinking of smart-aleck dirty comebacks.

This is no joke....lol

P1 year: Pharmaceutical Marketing Class:

Proff: The insurance companies are greatly suffering....the elderly have many "fractions"

Me: "Fractions?"?????

Proff: Fractions, Fractions!

Me: You mean - Fractures?

lol I will never forget that

my favorite is the lady who calls once a month asking for her "tabs"....meaning Lortab

hmmm....how did you get your job? Sleep with any moderators lately? :laugh: :smuggrin: