Grant writing for postdocs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroWise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending a neuropsych postdoc at a university medical school that includes both clinical and research opportunities (50% time/effort in both). My ultimate career goal is as a tenure-track prof at an R1. As such, I need to get in on the grantsmanship game beyond the small, institutional ones I received as a grad student. Does anyone have any insight into the realistic feasibility of a postdoc in this position obtaining an F32 or K01 NIH grant? I think my main question is regarding funding timeline. If it takes ~10 months for the entire process (assuming the app is funded), is it reasonable to have it just for the one remaining year of the postdoc? Are there are other federal grant mechanisms I should be investigating? Any and all advice regarding this topic is welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You will not be eligible for either during post-doc without reducing your clinical effort substantially.

In your position, I might wait til year 2 of pist-doc and then start submitting in the hopes of having something hit as I go on the market. Alternatively, consider smaller grants without effort restrictions or non-federal awards. R03, NARSAD (though may not be a good fit depending on what area of neuro you are in), etc. If you do imaging work, ISTARTs are a nice option if your institute offers them...

Reactions: 1 user
You will not be eligible for either during post-doc without reducing your clinical effort substantially.

In your position, I might wait til year 2 of pist-doc and then start submitting in the hopes of having something hit as I go on the market. Alternatively, consider smaller grants without effort restrictions or non-federal awards. R03, NARSAD (though may not be a good fit depending on what area of neuro you are in), etc. If you do imaging work, ISTARTs are a nice option if your institute offers them...

I thank you for this information. I had never heard of NARSAD or iSTARTs. Thanks again!

Oh, two of many examples. There are dozens of chincy grants from all kinds of foundations (< 100k). Just do some googling, ask around and talk to your university grants office.

Many avoid them because it doesn't really provide enough funding to cover substantive work these days, but if you do not need major salary support it opens doors. I would say up through post-doc, any funding at all looks good. Even at R1s, expectations for faculty to get extramural funding are often low to modest in psychology departments aside from the absolute upper tier. It is the AMCs that want you to have 2-3 R01s before tenure is even discussed as an option.

Be warned that the smaller grants can be kind of pain. I think a lot of them have troubles finding reviewers. I have actually had better luck with NIH and have gotten some utterly asinine reviews from foundations.

Reactions: 1 users