Grants and Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never knew nor could fathom how difficult it is to receive a grant, until I saw my mentor undergo the process from start to finish. I understand that science is a political game, but is there politics in grants also. Do scientists who possess more Nature publications or who graduated from the Top schools or those who work at Top 10 institutions) receive preference over those who did not, without even taking into account their research? Is the same type of politics (top schools, previous pubs, etc) true for attaining publications in highly regarded journals? Or is research looked at first, before even assessing the scientist's background?

Also, can MDs apply for grants and/or be PIs or is it solely for PhDs, in both cases)?

Members don't see this ad.

i smell troll.

At the level of NIH's R01, I think if everything else is equal, being at a top institution actually HURTS you, because people on the study sections come from random podunk places and are sometimes just trying to be difficult. In fact, I've heard that this is one reason HHMI started. An elite cadre of researchers decided that they no longer wanted to play this game of R01. So they just nominate people to get 1 mil a year.

MDs can apply for anything PhDs can apply for. Some grants only PhDs can get. Though (I just learned) that there are certain implicit rules at NIH. For instance, it's very hard for MDs to get any substantial grants without at least 2 yrs of postdoctoral research experience.

At face value, though, you can see how doing a PhD seems like a waste of time............