GRE Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayomi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I will be taking my GRE in a week. I have been studying for 3-4+ hours a day for about 3 weeks now, and before that was studying a fair amount for about a month. I have a practice test tonight, and I am focusing my attention on the aspects of the test that are my weaknesses. I have been using the Princeton Review "Cracking the GRE" book and I feel it is a really good source for those of you studying for your GRE.

To anyone who has taken the GRE who may have used this resource let me know how you felt the questions compared to the actual exam. (Harder, easier, very similar)

I also have a question about submitting my scores to my schools. When I am finished with the GRE and have my score, do I need to know the schools GRE code or will I be able to search for the schools I want to send my GRE to?
I am shooting for a 155V 155Q and a 4.5 writing. (The schools I am applying to range from 152-155 as their average acceptance)

Good luck to anyone else who may be taking their test soon! Also any tips for test day would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone. I will be taking my GRE in a week. I have been studying for 3-4+ hours a day for about 3 weeks now, and before that was studying a fair amount for about a month. I have a practice test tonight, and I am focusing my attention on the aspects of the test that are my weaknesses. I have been using the Princeton Review "Cracking the GRE" book and I feel it is a really good source for those of you studying for your GRE.

To anyone who has taken the GRE who may have used this resource let me know how you felt the questions compared to the actual exam. (Harder, easier, very similar)

I also have a question about submitting my scores to my schools. When I am finished with the GRE and have my score, do I need to know the schools GRE code or will I be able to search for the schools I want to send my GRE to?
I am shooting for a 155V 155Q and a 4.5 writing. (The schools I am applying to range from 152-155 as their average acceptance)

Good luck to anyone else who may be taking their test soon! Also any tips for test day would be appreciated!

After you complete your test, they will allow you to submit scores to3-4 schools I believe. Its not required to have the code prior, but just make sure you submit to the correct schools! You'll be able to search with their search bar.

Good luck on your exam!

Reactions: 1 user
After you complete your test, they will allow you to submit scores to3-4 schools I believe. Its not required to have the code prior, but just make sure you submit to the correct schools! You'll be able to search with their search bar.

Good luck on your exam!
Thank you! only 3-4? the rest I assume I must pay the additional 27$ per school? What resources did you use for your GRE and how did they compare to the actual test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! only 3-4? the rest I assume I must pay the additional 27$ per school? What resources did you use for your GRE and how did they compare to the actual test?
Yeah you'll have to pay for the rest online. That where you want to be sure you have the correct codes. I used the kaplan book to get a good overall feel. The best resource for me was Magoosh. Their videos really break everything down plus they have great strategies if you purchase the plan online. If you don't buy it, they have free YouTube resources on their Magoosh channel.

I used Magoosh, it's a pretty good resource. I'd say the questions were pretty similar to the ones I saw on the test, if not a little more difficult.

Hello! I felt that the practice tests I took using my practice books were easier, but I got the same score on the GRE that I got on both practice tests I took.
I ended up getting:
164Q, 157V, and 4.5 writing

I used magoosh and the books from ETS! In terms of math and reading, magoosh does a wonderful job of breaking everything down. I think what helped me with the math was realizing that it was essentially a puzzle, as in if you memorize ~8 common patterns for it, you should do fairly well-- if you see a question and it looks impossible, this is the most obvious sign that there is a shortcut/easier way to approach it. With vocabulary, magoosh's flashcard app did not help me as much (was really slow). What did help was just the good old quizlet, and doing the typing exercises. With the essay section, most practice books give sample essays and the score the person received, and breaks down why they received that score (but one advice, do not spend too long brainstorming, or you will run out of time, and type type type-- finishing your essay with a few errors, although having none would be ideal, is better than having an incomplete essay).

Reactions: 1 users
There's also a useful book called "1014 practice questions for GRE". There's a book for both the english and the math section, I believe, and those helped me out tremendously.