GRE EMERGENCY please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilac0113

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a long time reader and have seen many people get advice. I need help with my gre situation. I am scheduled to take it August 26, but want to move it to a later date September 5th. I wrote in my personal statement that I would be taking it in August, that is my only issue. I do not mind contacting the schools I am applying to, to let them know I will be switching days. My other question is does this look bad?. Do you think it is a bad thing to notify them and let them know I need to take it a little later? I just need more time, and the first time I took it I scored terribly, I know I can do better with a few more weeks.

Your help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well considering you are only talking about moving it back by 10 days, I don't think that is going to affect your score that much. You've kinda gotta be "ready as you'll ever be" at some point. If you struggled with the GRE in the past, then studying for ten more days might net you another point or two but most likely it's not going to be a drastic difference. If it is going to complicate your life and give you cause to worry, I would just leave the test where it is. You still have 3 weeks, that is plenty of time.

More likely than not, if you just moved it and didn't say a word to anybody, nothing bad would happen. But I can't say that with any degree of certainty. I don't think it is worth the hassle to move it though. Plus it's a waste of $50. Just my 2 cents though, please don't make your decision just on account of me! Good luck :)

My first time I took it i got a 285 total and that was what prevented me from getting in. My other stats are solid. Its just this test :(. Or do you think take it on August 25th, then if needed retake it in September?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with take it now and retake again only if absolutely necessary. 285 is pretty poor to be sure, but you already know you are going to do better than that. I assume you've already been doing some studying and you have three more weeks, so I would be pretty confident you can get that up to at least a 300. Having around a 150 for both sections will put you around the averages of quite a few schools, and will put you above the minimum for pretty much every school.

I agree, take it now and retake if necessary. I think actually taking the test is the best practice you can do. Also you might study more efficiently knowing you only have 3 weeks to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say apply to schools that do not require the gre or that do not have a minimum score. Usually, if you have a high overall and science gpa you can compensate for the low gre. However, none of us on this site have the minds of the admission committees decision thinking process. Just apply for what you have now and take the test and see what happens. I am applying to 22 schools, yet I have a low gre score but very high gpas and I have applied to schools that do not require the gre and ones without a minimum score.

]I am applying to 22 schools...

:wow: Between PTCAS fees, supplemental application fees that schools have, and GRE fees that is going to cost you at least $2K just to apply...woa...

:wow: Between PTCAS fees, supplemental application fees that schools have, and GRE fees that is going to cost you at least $2K just to apply...woa...

Haha yeah it sure did!

Why such a huge number, if you don't mind me asking?

Why such a huge number, if you don't mind me asking?

I had a low gre because I needed disability accommodations and the ets company stated my documents were over threes old. So I needed to pay a large amount of money for a neuropsychiatric evaluation. I didn't have the money. So I need to apply to many schools to have a better chance. Although I have a high gpa, I believe the gre may hold me back.

I had a low gre because I needed disability accommodations and the ets company stated my documents were over three old. So I needed to pay a large amount of money for a neuropsychiatric evaluation. I didn't have the money. So I need to apply to many schools to have a better chance. Although I have a high gpa, I believe the gre may hold me back.

Thanks all! I called a few programs and they stated September 5th would be okay! I would ideally want to retake it after the 25th but spending another 200 isnt ideal with all the application fees etc. My application has been submitted to some schools

I don't think moving it to September 5th is a big deal at all (as long as the scores get in before program deadlines, of course). If that's what you want to do, then just do it! I don't think you'd need to notify programs about that. Good luck with your studying and applications!

Reactions: 1 users