1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

gre exam

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lina123321, Jul 31, 2006.

1. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey,

so im thinking of backup plans if i don't get accepted to med school...has anyone taken the gre? is it worth getting a prep course for? which is better, the paper exam or the cbt? any info would be great

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    don't get a prep course. my friend did it and its only 3 weeks and her score was the exact same as her diagnostic and she put in all the work. i think its computer based(hers was) and she got the score the same day. it's basically the SAT without the pimples and voice squeaking ie all grown up except maybe the math is the same. hope that helps

4. christvida

christvida Member
    5+ Year Member

hey i took the gre a couple of years ago and it is a breeze compared to the mcat. i would suggest going to barnes and noble and buying a prep book that contains computer practice tests. you will need to study to do well on this exam. the thing to remember with this is that as you are taking the exam the questions become easier or harder depending on the number of questions you answer correctly. if you miss the first few questions it becomes easier and thus you can only obtain a maximum score. the verbal is very tricky, but the math is not too bad. take it on the computer because you will find out the score immediately.

5. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's like the SAT except the words on the verbal seem to be a bit bigger and I think there is a writing sample thing. It's always computer based cause it's an adaptive test (ie if you get a question right it ups the difficulty until it finds out what level of difficulty is your limit). Theoretically this lets them give accurate scores with a shorter test. The main issue is that if your careless on the early questions you might end up tracking yourself into a score below what you deserve. Not too horrid though and nice and quick. Finding out you verbal and math scores that day also makes it easier to stomach than the MCAT.

6. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Like others said, compared to the MCAT, the GRE is a piece of cake. I bought the Princeton Review book and studied for a month (nearly all of my studying was for the verbal, which was very similar to SAT verbal at the time -- I'm not sure about now.) I took the computer-based test and did very, very well on all 3 sections (the math is more challenging than SAT math, but it's not really that bad if you've done well in math in college.)

Unlike the MCAT, it's definitely easy to improve your verbal score on the GRE. Learning vocab. words like the SAT, can go along way to improving your score.

Anyways, definitely do some prep for it (like any other test) but don't sweat it too much.

Good Luck,

Jota

7. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unlike when I took the MCAT, the test center for the GRE was courteous enough to provide me with a secure locker for my junk.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with the above posters that it isn't very difficult in comparison to the MCAT. However, it would be best to study for the verbal and math if that's not your strongest subject. Alos, there are specific GRE subject tests that you might also want to consider taking depending on what your backup plans are.

Best of luck,
    -Dr. P