GRE for PhD/PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried searching a lot but there really isn't much data out on this it seems.

What is considered a good GRE score? Does the GRE make much of a difference, or is there just some number you should try to hit at the bare minimum and then it doesn't really matter from there?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: Yes, GRE scores matter, although the actual amount can vary from one advisor or program to the next.

I haven't really kept up with "good" scores using the new scale, but I'm sure others can chime in there. Another option is to check the average GRE scores of admitted classes at the programs to which you're applying. That can give you a ballpark of what to aim for and where your scores would be competitive.

Also, graduate programs will sometimes have a minimum score required for application. These are often set by the university/graduate school, are cross-discipline, and aren't particularly flexible. However, if a score is only slightly above this bar, it may not be competitive.

I think I remember wanting to have a total GRE score of 310+. I think anything above 160 is considered good and anything below 150 is bad. IIRC, I had a quant score in the mid 150s and verbal score above 160 when I applied to PhD programs. Most (all?) APA-accredited programs report their GRE data along with the other outcome data they're mandated to report.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember wanting to have a total GRE score of 310+. I think anything above 160 is considered good and anything below 150 is bad. IIRC, I had a quant score in the mid 150s and verbal score above 160 when I applied to PhD programs. Most (all?) APA-accredited programs report their GRE data along with the other outcome data they're mandated to report.
My first attempt I got V 163, Q 153. I’ve been told conflicting things regarding taking it again to raise my quant score. I had loads of extra time on the verbal but ran out on the Quant section. I am sloooow at math, but good. So, not sure if worth retaking when I apply this fall. Thoughts?

My first attempt I got V 163, Q 153. I’ve been told conflicting things regarding taking it again to raise my quant score. I had loads of extra time on the verbal but ran out on the Quant section. I am sloooow at math, but good. So, not sure if worth retaking when I apply this fall. Thoughts?

If studying for quant more (practicing the questions over and over and over again) is feasible between now and application time, I say do it. Your Q score is not terrible, but you don't want to give programs any reason to consider you a "borderline" applicant, ie wonder if you have what it takes for a PhD, wonder if they should grant you an interview. It would be better to have a solid score at least in the high 150s, target 160.

My scores were in the same range and I know my low 150s Q score kept me out of getting several interviews (through connections, such as letters writers etc.)- the more competitive schools need to have cutoffs somewhere!

If studying for quant more (practicing the questions over and over and over again) is feasible between now and application time, I say do it. Your Q score is not terrible, but you don't want to give programs any reason to consider you a "borderline" applicant, ie wonder if you have what it takes for a PhD, wonder if they should grant you an interview. It would be better to have a solid score at least in the high 150s, target 160.

My scores were in the same range and I know my low 150s Q score kept me out of getting several interviews (through connections, such as letters writers etc.)- the more competitive schools need to have cutoffs somewhere!
Yeah, I’ll probably take it again. My current advisor (I am in a MA program) says I don’t need to retake, but I think I probably will. I wish I could use the extra time I had left on the verbal section for the quant lol.

I got low 150s for each section and a 4 on writing and got into several university based PsyD programs and one PhD. If every other part of your application is very strong you should be fine, but don’t limit yourself geographically or to only fully funded programs.

I got low 150s for each section and a 4 on writing and got into several university based PsyD programs and one PhD. If every other part of your application is very strong you should be fine, but don’t limit yourself geographically or to only fully funded programs.
Thanks for the info! I definitely am not restricting myself geographically but am only looking at fully funded programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer: Yes, GRE scores matter, although the actual amount can vary from one advisor or program to the next.

I haven't really kept up with "good" scores using the new scale, but I'm sure others can chime in there. Another option is to check the average GRE scores of admitted classes at the programs to which you're applying. That can give you a ballpark of what to aim for and where your scores would be competitive.

Also, graduate programs will sometimes have a minimum score required for application. These are often set by the university/graduate school, are cross-discipline, and aren't particularly flexible. However, if a score is only slightly above this bar, it may not be competitive.
Also, there may be bonuses based on high GRE scores. At every program where I was offered admission, I was also offered a higher-than-usual stipend and protected time so that I didn't have to TA or RA. These were explicitly based on my undergrad GPA and GRE, as these bonuses were at the university-level, not the program-level, so I was competing against grad students from every discipline.

my scores are just about the same. i think im 162 V 153 Q?

i'm on the fence if i should bother retaking. i am not very good at the type of math on the test, and also slow at it.

I just got finished with this last cycle and can definitely vouch that GRE scores are exceptionally important to an application. Like others have said, lots of schools institute a GRE cut-off score and low GREs can significantly reduce your chances, even with a good application. But, you still can have a shot at an good cycle even with low GREs.

I had pretty low GREs, in the 150s for verbal and 140s for quant. You have to critically evaluate your application to see what other areas you are excelling at. A mediocre application with a low GRE is much less likely to be accepted than a mediocre application with a high GRE. I had some pretty extensive research experiences and had a lot of other unique jobs that made my application stand out, despite my low GRE. However, I got rejected from most schools (even from schools that I had contact with before applying). Having higher GREs may be the difference between one acceptance versus multiple acceptances.

However, if you still can't bring up your scores work on the other areas to really boost, particularly research. With low GREs I still got accepted to multiple places, including my top school and with above average funding.

TLDR: Boost it if you can, if you absolutely can't, boost other areas of your application.

Many of the programs that I applied to explicitly stated their preferred scores, and they were typically above the 70th percentile.